What's new

Star Trek TNG Complete Set are they Remastered (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought all the films and completed all 5 TV Series'. By the time I finished I had laid out almost $2700 I'm not so sure I will do that when the HD Sets start wandering out. For one thing, we don't even know which Format will win between HD DVD and Blue Ray So how can we as consumers possibly invest in something that might be useless

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I understand waiting to see which will win. But if Blu-ray crushes HD DVD tomorrow, my current discs will be just as useful next week as they are today. Unless Toshiba finds a way to confiscate my player as well.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Anyone know if they really are the exact same discs? I know there was no re-mastering but are they dispersing the episodes differently? Like when the re-did the X-file boxsets, some seasons that had 7 discs were shaved down to 6 discs.

anything like that going on?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
According to the reviewers, these are the same exact discs that were released for the individual season sets, albeit with different artwork on the discs.

In fact, here's an excerpt from "The Digital Bits" Review of the Set:

" This new complete series box set from CBS and Paramount offers the exact same discs that were included in the previous DVD full-season box sets, right down to the same menus and special features. The only thing that's different about them here is the artwork on each disc. "

You do get one additional bonus disc of extras with the set. The Bonus Disc contains three new featurettes celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the show. It also contains all the "Exclusive Bonus DVD features" that Best Buy had when the individual season sets were first released. The main reason to own this set is this extra Bonus DIsc along with the much more compact packaging vs. the seven original bulky season boxes. Other than that, there's not really much to reccomend here.

Link to full Digital Bits Review

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
This is Paramount we are talking about after all!

If they couldn't shell out for a decent master of the original series releases - the DVD of those were terrible, with loads of dirt and gunge and film damage evident - then they sure aren;t going to bother on these. No, they'll just knock out some more copies of the exact same disks.

In other words, do it cheap as possible. They know that Star Trek is going to sell anyway!

As TNG was made on SD video, rather than film, it won;t gain from an HD release - except of course you could have higher bitrates and/or more episodes per disk.

I guess they might re-do the effects.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Correction: It was edited on video and the current series masters exist as such, but the series was most definitely shot on film and the raw negatives do survive.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

There is precident to consider that this new TNG set could have been remastered. I use the Original TOS Star Trek 2-fors from 1999 as an example. When they re-released Star Trek TOS in season box sets in 2004, the reviews indicated a slight improvement in PQ. I am not sure if one or two little mistakes were fixed in the box sets, and I own both versions. The improvement was from the mastering, not a film clean-up as has been done for the new HD-DVD set coming in November.

I believe that this new TNG series set is no different then the past season sets. Regarding a remaster with new CGI effects, the only news there is that CBS Digital did a test, but it would be a gargantuan effort. There are posts from the past discussing this. Don't expect to see this anytime soon. But who knows, maybe they will find an incentive to do this sooner then not.

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
Now that rumors are flying again, im quite excited. Im ready to watch TNG in HD. Does anyone know if its acurate that the special effects were completed on analog video ? I thought SD digital video would have been used, at least for the later seasons

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks