What's new

Star Trek: The Tour- Interactive exhibit (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Barbara-

Thanks for the info. I sure hope it does come to San Francisco and all the other cities earlier advertised! And I look forward to hearing what you learn. I'll do the same.

Nelson

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
When it comes to Tulsa wake me up. Shocked it was on that list, that seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I've been looking to see when it is coming to San Francisco and can't seem to find a date.
Who is scheduling this thing?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This sounds like the Star Wars exhibit I saw at the LA science museum last year, which was fun. Hopefully this is coming towards me, and I can get to it.

bh0617

Auditioning
Real Name
Barbara
Mikel -

Star Trek The Tour is produced by SEE Touring Productions, Inc. and presented by Metropolitan Talent, Inc.

SEE Touring is located in California. Metropolitan Talent in New York.

There are NO dates posted as of yet. I'm involved with several Star Trek websites and all are silent on the exhibit. I'm just glad I got to go to the very first one. I'd hate to think it's also the last one. It was a tremendous event.

Barbara Hamper

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Barbara. That's disappointing that there's no news.

I checked with the webmaster at trekmovie.com and he has not responeded or posted any news about it. Everyone must be in the dark about this. I should have flown down to LA to see it!

bh0617

Auditioning
Real Name
Barbara
I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys, but this is just in today. For the latest info you can go to the trektoday website

Look under: news/230508_05.shtml

Looks like Star Trek The Tour was sold/purchased by an asset mgt company due to a financial dispute. It may continue in some way, shape, or form, but SEE Touring Production Inc., is no longer the promoter. That's really the bad news since both Martin Biallas and Dave Riva were so involved with this venture. Sad but true.....

If "the show does go on" it will move to San Diego as soon as they get all the equipment out of the Dome in Long Beach and get it set up again. I'll keep you posted as things get going.

Thought you'd want to hear the latest.

Barbara Hamper

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Barbara-

Again, thanks for the update and heads-up. That's too bad. I guess they chalk it up to bad management. It had such a strong opening publicity.

I hope they get the show back on track.

I'm surprised trekmovie.com isn't up on this story.

bh0617

Auditioning
Real Name
Barbara
I believe it's posted somewhere on trekmovie.com and a couple of other sites as well. Since the asset mgt company is out of Connecticut, and I just happened to be in the New York/Connecticut area when the news broke, I started asking questions to a few of my connections and trying to see where the news was posted and where it was missing.

Looks like they have a tentative deal with a new promoter from what the folks in New York say. They need to move everything out of the Dome by June 6.

I'll be at the FedConUSA convention in Dallas this month. I'll ask around and see what else I can find out for you. There are a lot of Star Trek people there who are very closely connected with The Tour. :cool:

Barbara

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Look forward to your updates! I couldn't find any articles on trekmovie.com but I could have missed it.

Thanks for the insights!

nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just came across some new news regarding what's become of Star Trek The Tour.

According to wiki website Memory Alpha's news section, the Tour has reorganized with new owners as Barbara informed us earlier. And the tour is renamed Star Trek The Exhibition.

As Barbara has been so kindly informing us, the show's next stop is San Diego at the San Diego Air and Space Museum.

You can read about it here: Star Trek Wiki - Memory Alpha

Plus there's a link there to the San Diego museum with ticket info. I have not found a list of cities or dates yet for future shows. I hope they plan to go to the same cities and more!

Here's a link to the Museum and ticket info: Star Trek: The Exhibition

Since Barbara commented that she'd be at FedCon USA in Dallas this weekend, maybe she can expand on the news that TrekMovie reports that the FedCon USA show was cancelled Saturday at noontime! That's a first and it was due to poor attendance.

I guess it could be party due to the high cost of conventions, the higher cost of travel and the cookie cutter nature of conventions these days! I doubt there's a decline in interest. The interent allows so much access to other fans, an activity the conventions used to function as. And access to unusual memorabilia is also easily accessed via the internet.

edit, update on FedConUSA conventions in Dallas: Wow, I've been reading many of the posts at the FedConUSA website forums. It turns out to be quite a disaster. I've never been to a FEDCON GmbH event, but I read they are excellently run shows in Europe and this FedConUSA only borrowed the name only, so it's unfortunate for FEDCON GmbH. I only bring this up because of the state of Star Trek related events these days.

I'm glad to read The Star Trek Experience appears to be in good hands and a stable organization running it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys-

Thought I'd update this thread.

The revamped Star Trek: The Exhibition has been touring parts of the east coast and now has headed back to the west coast. Earlier this month it re-opened again in Los Angeles and now in Silicon Valley at the Tech Museum.

I understand the exhibit in San Jose will be larger then the recent shows only because the venue is larger and can hold more stuff. So I'll be heading there today for my first time at the exhibit. I'll let you know how it was!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

Just got back from the Exhibition that is now in San Jose, California in the middle of Silicon Valley. It was located in the Tech Museum.

It was pretty cool! I've seen a lot of the stuff in there before, and I didn't find too many things that I was amazed by. I've been a big fan for years and seen this kind of material before. That's not to say it was a waste of time or money. I did enjoy it a lot!

The show originally debuted in Los Angeles and was run by one company. They went bust and a new exhibition company took over and now splits the materials between two cities at the same time. So I was kind of disappointed by that. I'll explain later.

The Exhibit opens with a large entry area and they have some costumes and props behind glass tubes. The costumes, for the most part are real. I went with some fans who know the costumes as they collect them. So they knew real from replica. I was impressed they had costumes from TOS still looking god. They have the environmental suit worn in The Naked Time and Kor's Klingon costume was mostly intact.

There was a display of TOS props. They were mostly the Master Replica replicas you could buy a few years ago, phaser, communicator and tricorder and hypo. Plus a Master Replicas 3 foot Enterprise model in the same display case.

From there, they lead you into the TOS Enterprise Bridge replica. About 80% the size we thought of the original. It wasn't that great in terms of accuracy, but still very cool to be in! It was crowded in there. There was a photographer who would take your picture of you in the captains chair! I checkened out! Sulu and Chekov's chair was missing. What I was disappointed by is that since the show is split between 2 cites, they don't both get the same stuff. So the TNG Enterprise D bridge was not there. But they had the captains chair in front of a large print of the bridge.

From there, you exit the bridge through the turbolift and it leads down a hall that opened into a Next Generation corridor. On the side was Picard's quarters recreated. Not too bad! His flute was in there.

The next room had the Guardian of Forever looking pretty well recreated! Plus this room had Voyager costumes, 7 or 9, Neelix, and later Kes and Major Kira. There was also a transporter room. You had another photo op and a video of you being beamed out.

The last area had the chronology of Star Trek from Enterprise to the new film along a large wall display. There was also real filming minatures of the Enterprise D, the Excelsior, the travel pod from The Motion Picture, Stargazer and a few other miniatures. And more costumes from DS9 and the new film.

Finally, there was a ride section and gift shop. The rides were the same, one that carries 15 people and is mild and the other is a 2 person pod and really moves around, and goes upside down. I rode the mild one. This was on a gimble and rocked left and right and up and down. I think it could have been from the old Star Trek Experience in Vegas. You're in a shuttlecraft evading the Borg trying to get a captured Borg chip to the Federation to use to defeat the Borg. You fly through the rings of Saturn, a molten planet surface, back to the Moon and then confronted by three Borg Spheres. All through this, Michael Dorn's voice is heard as Worf speaking about what he's doing. At the end, when it looks like we can't get away from the Borg Spheres, he says one of his classic lines. I won't spoil it for you. But he says:

Perhaps today is a good day to die!
The Enterprise D comes along and saves the day and we land in the shuttlebay and see the Borg spheres defeated.

It was pretty fun on the whole! Less then I expected, content wise. Go with kids or go with your Trek friends. If you get a chance to go to Seattle, go to the Sci Fi Museum. I went there for the 40th Anniversary convention. The museum was great, not just Star Trek. And the props are all real, not replicas. That's why I said I had seen this before. And I've had the fortune to see the real screen used communicator and phasers from TOS at a friend's house.

I think the timing for this Star Trek Exhibit was timed well with the renewed interest in Star Trek due to the new film. If it comes to your city, go see it!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I saw this in Phoenix in March at the Arizona Science Center. It was the other tour, I guess - as it had the Enterprise D bridge and not the TOS bridge. The motion simulator ride was the same, but they only had the 2-person version that went upside down. It seemed pretty old, though, and the CRT inside was in sad shape - burned-in, bad convergence. Lots of neat props and costumes, including Ricardo Montalban's from Wrath of Khan. Overall it was a fun way to spend an afternoon.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Any site that shows the schedule for this show? The link on the first page just goes to the old tour that is now defunct.

--John

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen a schedule. I have a feeling they are not showing the next city the show will go to till the last minute.

Trekmovie will likely have a report for the next city as son as it's known.

Is this the site you went to? http://www.startrekexhibition.com/tickets/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks