What's new

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season Two (Blu-ray) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David, the angle button sometimes works. If you time it right. It changes, but by the time it changes, the effect is over or about over and you catch a glimpse of it.

The bullet proof way to do it on the Sony is to use the BD's menu and go to the camera icon on the upper left while the episode is playing. That will reset the branching to always be the new or old effects.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

David, the angle button sometimes works. If you time it right. It changes, but by the time it changes, the effect is over or about over and you catch a glimpse of it.

The bullet proof way to do it on the Sony is to use the BD's menu and go to the camera icon on the upper left while the episode is playing. That will reset the branching to always be the new or old effects.
OK. I'll use the angle icon in the BD menu and see how that works. Thanks Nelson.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got season 2 on bluray. a gift from my family for my birthday. I have played some episodes from disc 1,2, and 3. they worked fine so far. no problem. I am using my panasonic 80 blu ray player and its bitstreaming from the onkyo 605 receiver.

Jacob

I have a Panasonic BD30 player, and it has trouble playing the audio of these discs. When an episode starts, the audio is muted for about 4 seconds before it finally comes on. If I use the Skip button to go back to the beginning and restart the episode, the audio plays normally.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good luck David, I hope you get it to work.

Hey Lou, good to see you here! You'll enjoy the set, saw The Changling and saw lights under Nomand's "head" that I never saw glowing under it before! On Amok Time, I saw a piece of tape on the hand rail on the Bridge next to Spock's station. Probably always there, but I never noticed before.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Another fine release by CBS Home video! I'm really enjoying watching season 2. It's been quite some time as I sold my DVD sets when I heard the remastered episode would be airing 3 years ago.

Wonderful picture and the sound is great too.

The Billy Blackburn home movies are nice too. Really enjoying those.

I'm very glad that Season 3 will be out in December as well. I'll be picking that one up as well!!!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
there is an entire disc dedicated JUST FOR TRIBBLES! lol. i never got their appeal, but i guess to each his own.

this is another hit out of the ballpark w/CBS (i'm still angry @paramount for how they screwed up all 10 trek movies and gladiator). i luv their meticulous remastering of this series, i'm hoping that TNG gets the SAME TREATMENTS... but i think the rights don't belong to CBS ='(. that's 2bad.

1 thing of note is the intro music has been re-recorded on the DTS, but the original recording is still there on the 2.0 mono track =). just FYI if people miss the old stuff =P.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I finally took a peek at the Star Trek Season 2 BD set last
evening.

Very impressed with the menu overlay. This is the kind of
thing that would never be possible with standard DVD.

The only episode I watched was THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE.
I was blown away by the enhanced effects. Wish I could get
the angle button to switch back and forth on my Panny BD55
as I had to go back to the beginning to switch from ORIGINAL
and ENHANCED to see exactly what was done. To be fair,
I am using a Harmony One remote and perhaps that was the
reason why the ANGLE failed to work.

After watching THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE I absolutely
prefer the enhanced episodes. The effects look amazing and
there is even a sense of surround audio to accompany them.
The addition of space debris and a damaged Constellation
following the Enterprise in tow was really a treat to see.
Though it was the only episode I watched, I was quite pleased
with the overall transfer quality.

Even without the enhanced effects STAR TREK still holds up
some 40+ years later as entertaining science fiction. Now with
the enhanced effects there is yet another reason to purchase
this set and revisit this series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek Lives!

The trekmovie site has Easter Egg info for this set, so if you're interested, you should check it out! (Plus Easter Egg info on the TNG movie set)

Also, they confirm with Bill Hunt, the Season 3 set does actually include the original Where No Man Has Gone Before pilot! That's really an amazing extra.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/28/easter-eggs-for-tos-season-2-and-tng-movies-blu-ray-sets/

Ron, about your problem accessing the angle to view the effects in either the original or CGI on the fly, I have a Sony player, so I don't know how a Panasonic is. And I realize you're using a 3rd party remote. I found that using the Star Trek BD's menu, you can bring the menu up during playback and find the movie camera icon on the upper left of the menu. Clicking that will activate either version, without re-starting the episode.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised it's been so quiet on the issue of older players which can't play this release (or on those who aren't handling the audio or angle functions well).

Has Paramount addressed this yet? Do we think they will?

Would firmware upgrades be coming...or are those with older players SOL (due to lack of support by manufacturers of the older models)?

For such a high profile title, I expected this thread to be going bananas with such reports and questions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Would firmware upgrades be coming...or are those with older players SOL (due to lack of support by manufacturers of the older models)?
I'm certainly no expert but it seems like firmware updates will fix the problem. I still have a 1.0 Samsung player and firmware updates have 'fixed' two similar problems (any Universal disc and Star Wars: The Clone Wars wouldn't play) for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just haven't seen a firmware upgrade for my BD-10 in a loooong time. Don't know if Panasonic would even consider doing one.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I started off watching Catspaw on Disc 2 last night, but I received a 'Network Connection Failed' error from my Panasonic DMP-BD55 even though the player successfully passed a Network Connection test in Setup. Has anyone else had an issue like that?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
For such a high profile title, I expected this thread to be going bananas with such reports and questions.

I guess the issue is either being seen as resolvable with firmware updates or more people are not having issues then those who are. BUt it seems Panasonic has been the main players with issues(?) Sorry Paul.

I've only had time to see 3 episodes and they've been fine. The angle issue for me is resolved with a work-around.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

But it seems Panasonic has been the main players with issues(?) Sorry Paul.
Thanks, Nelson. Well, the Panasonic DMP-BD55 hasn't had a firmware update since 7/8/2009, so it would seem to me it is about due.

I never had any issues like this with Season One, so it must be something new CBS Television is doing or not doing with their discs.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
For all those like Ron who are having angle problems:

Are you completely unable to change the angle? On my PS3, at least, the angle function (both via the button and the menu) only works during scenes with the enhanced effects. This is the case with the Harmony One and the PS3 remote, as well as my spare Harmony 680. Pressing it at any other time does nothing, nor will it affect the rest of the episode unless I switch the angle during another scene with enhanced effects.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
paul. I am also getting a network connection failed on my panasonic 80 player. it must be something with the bdlive.

Jacob

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

Thanks, Nelson. Well, the Panasonic DMP-BD55 hasn't had a firmware update since 7/8/2009, so it would seem to me it is about due.
Three months is nothing. My Samsung BD-P1500 hasn't seen one since late April.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks