What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation Season Three available for preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

From StarTrek.com:

Quote:
Season Three will include all 26 third-season episodes, including “Yesterday’s Enterprise,” “Sarek” and “The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1,” each painstakingly restored in the manner of Season One and Season Two. Among the extras are an “Inside the Writers’ Room” featurette with Seth MacFarlane moderating a conversation with Trek scribes Ronald Moore, Brannon Braga, Naren Shankar and Rene Echevarria. Then there’s “Resistance Is Futile: Assimilating The Next Generation,” a multi-part documentary examines the making of Season Three and includes a tribute to writer-producer Michael Piller. Fans can also expect select audio commentaries (Moore on “The Bonding” and Moore and Ira Steven Behr on “Yesterday’s Enterprise,” for example), episodic promos and, of course, an HD blooper reel.

CLICK ON THE PREORDER LINK BELOW.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It should be noted there will also be a release of a re-edited Best of Both Worlds. I can't tell right now if the extras on the 90-minute version are being carried over onto the season set. I think they are, but we'll see.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm actually a bit disappointed they didn't finish up the Best of Both Worlds disc with the episode "Family". But, I'm already in for the season sets anyway, and casual fans might just want the two-parter without the aftermath.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The third season is TNG's best, and one of the very best seasons of any Star Trek ever produced, up there with TOS's first, DS9's fourth and fifth, and Enterprise's fourth.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I certainly agree with you, Sam, that S3 is the best of TNG and in the top 5 of all Trek seasons. It's astonishing how many high quality, memorable episodes were produced during the year considering the heavy turnover behind the scenes. The stiltedness of S1 and S2 are gone, there's more mature storytelling and everyone seems to have grown up over the hiatus.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Jason_V said:
It should be noted there will also be a release of a re-edited Best of Both Worlds.  I can't tell right now if the extras on the 90-minute version are being carried over onto the season set.  I think they are, but we'll see.
I thought it's been confirmed that the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS release will have features specially pertaining to those episodes that won't be on the season release.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60
I thought it's been confirmed that the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS release will have features specially pertaining to those episodes that won't be on the season release.
One of the features has the same name as something from the season set, but I could have been misreading the press releases or someone screwed around with the information. But yeah, that's the last information I know about now.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason_V said:
I certainly agree with you, Sam, that S3 is the best of TNG and in the top 5 of all Trek seasons.  It's astonishing how many high quality, memorable episodes were produced during the year considering the heavy turnover behind the scenes.  The stiltedness of S1 and S2 are gone, there's more mature storytelling and everyone seems to have grown up over the hiatus. 
Plus, on a purely superficial level, jettisoning the spandex uniforms and lighting the bridge differently and more brightly worked wonders for the look of the show.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Bingo. This was the last major tinker with the look of the show (carpets and the Observation Lounge not withstanding). The one piece jumpsuits just look kiddie. The two piece ones (and the new one piece for the females) are "adult" to me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excuse my ignorance on this subject. I am a fan of Next Generation,
plan to buy these Blu-ray sets someday (when the price drops) but don't
quite remember how these shows fit in together.
Here is where I am fuzzy....
So where does Best of Both Worlds fit in?
Shouldn't it just be included as part of the season it was aired with?
Or, is this episode further along in the season and we are just getting
an advance release ahead of the original air date season?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ron, The Best of Both Worlds was originally produced as two standalone episodes: the first was the finale of season 3 and the second was the premiere of season 4. They should be included as their one hour (with commercials) versions on the respective season sets. This re-edited version (into a 90 minute movie) may have been shown overseas all at once; I don't remember, to be perfectly honest. Memory Alpha says it was included in feature form on DVD. However, the intent from production was to have two separate episodes. There are very subtle changes between part I and part II (Riker and Crusher's hair, bridge lighting) so I'm curious how this will look as one "seamless"' production. The Best of Both Worlds I is certainly one of the top five episodes of TNG, maybe top three-there are a small handful of exceptional installments of the series. Sidenote: the Season 3 movie event is going to be this Best of Both Worlds movie on April 25.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60
I just checked out the press releases. There is an exclusive documentary, gag reel and commentary on the BoBW set. So yeah, if you want everything, you need both releases.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Excuse my ignorance on this subject. I am a fan of Next Generation,
plan to buy these Blu-ray sets someday (when the price drops) but don't
quite remember how these shows fit in together.
Here is where I am fuzzy....
So where does Best of Both Worlds fit in?
Shouldn't it just be included as part of the season it was aired with?
Or, is this episode further along in the season and we are just getting
an advance release ahead of the original air date season?
Best of Both Worlds is the cliffhanger from S3 and concludes with the S4 premiere.
Because it's a big cliffhanger, it makes sense to issue it in one release all combined.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Ronald Epstein said:
Excuse my ignorance on this subject.  I am a fan of Next Generation, plan to buy these Blu-ray sets someday (when the price drops) but don't quite remember how these shows fit in together. Here is where I am fuzzy.... So where does Best of Both Worlds fit in? Shouldn't it just be included as part of the season it was aired with? Or, is this episode further along in the season and we are just getting an advance release ahead of the original air date season?
When THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS was originally shown, none of the fans knew that it was going to be a cliffhanger at the end of Season 3. It was not promoted that way and how it all concluded just left everyone hanging in suspense over the whole summer. It was obsessively talked about among fans and wild conjectures came about because of the cliffhanger. It was the most talked about cliffhanger since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK while waiting three years for RETURN OF THE JEDI. The novelty of all that excitement may have worn off over time but the fans who watched the series originally on TV remember it very well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by mattCR
Because it's a big cliffhanger, it makes sense to issue it in one release all combined.
If you're looking to preserve the original artistic intent, it doesn't. They were written separately, they were shot separately, they were aired separately. Michael Piller had no idea how to end Part II and didn't intend to have to write the conclusion (he was going to leave TNG). There is a different feel between the two episodes since a few months passed between filming. Watch the end of Part I, the big order to Worf, and then the teaser of Part II. They almost feel like different productions (lighting and hair).
The only 90 minute movies TNG ever produced were Encounter at Farpoint (already on BD) and All Good Things... (part of S7). The other 2 parters (Time's Arrow, Redemption, Birthright, Gambit, Chain of Command, Unification) were all produced as two separate episodes. As long as everything is available in the way it was originally intended to be shown, I'm fine with CBS creating 90 minutes movies out of the 2 parters. It makes more sense to do the "in season" ones like this since the production values was remain constant. The ones that span a summer hiatus are a lot trickier in that regard.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason_V said:
If you're looking to preserve the original artistic intent, it doesn't.  They were written separately, they were shot separately, they were aired separately.  Michael Piller had no idea how to end Part II and didn't intend to have to write the conclusion (he was going to leave TNG).  There is a different feel between the two episodes since a few months passed between filming.  Watch the end of Part I, the big order to Worf, and then the teaser of Part II.  They almost feel like different productions (lighting and hair). The only 90 minute movies TNG ever produced were Encounter at Farpoint (already on BD) and All Good Things... (part of S7).  The other 2 parters (Time's Arrow, Redemption, Birthright, Gambit, Chain of Command, Unification) were all produced as two separate episodes.  As long as everything is available in the way it was originally intended to be shown, I'm fine with CBS creating 90 minutes movies out of the 2 parters.  It makes more sense to do the "in season" ones like this since the production values was remain constant.  The ones that span a summer hiatus are a lot trickier in that regard.
The season straddling cliffhangers after BOBW were Redemption, Time's Arrow, and Descent (which you forgot to mention... probably with good reason). And honestly, none of those, IMO, really would qualify for separate releases, because they really weren't anything special like BOBW was. In fact, out of the whole list of two-parters, the only major ones that I think could be successful solo releases are Unification, because of Spock (and with the episode Sarek thrown in for good measure), and Chain of Command, because there are four lights.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth
When THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS was originally shown, none of the fans knew that it was going to be a cliffhanger at the end of Season 3. It was not promoted that way and how it all concluded just left everyone hanging in suspense over the whole summer. It was obsessively talked about among fans and wild conjectures came about because of the cliffhanger. It was the most talked about cliffhanger since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK while waiting three years for RETURN OF THE JEDI.
The novelty of all that excitement may have worn off over time but the fans who watched the series originally on TV remember it very well.
Not true. The TV Guide Closeup blurb that week spotlighted TNG's third season finale, making it clear that this was to be a cliffhanger, although it didn't state the nature of it.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Favate said:
Not true. The TV Guide Closeup blurb that week spotlighted TNG's third season finale, making it clear that this was to be a cliffhanger, although it didn't state the nature of it.
Haven't there been rumors since almost the time the episode aired that Patrick Stewart's contract was up after S3 and there was a very real possibility he was getting whacked at the beginning of part two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks