What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season Five Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found "The Inner Light" boring as an 11 year old (10? 12?) watching it during the first airing, but when I revisited it on that sampler Blu-ray, I was really, truly moved by it. Little bit of maturity on my part went a long way with that episode. Usually I'm very bored by the episodes where one person either loses their memory or winds up in a scenario where they know everything isn't real or we know everything isn't real. I think part of my hesitation comes from knowing as a viewer that everything will be fine by the end of the episode, and since everything is "fake", we won't really learn a lot about the character either, we'll just get an hour of the lead going "you have to believe me! this isn't real!" (Kind of like the Season 4 episode "Future Imperfect" where right away I don't believe it's really 16 years in the future, so I'm just waiting for the reveal.) What I liked about "The Inner Light" in that regard was that it showed the rest of the bridge crew simultaneously to showing Picard's experiences, so the episode isn't being gimmicky or tricky and trying to force us to believe something that we know isn't true.

"Cause & Effect" is one of my favorites too. I just rewatched that one the other night. Been skipping around the sets in preparation for the Season 6 release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...which brings me to this question...

Which Next Generation episode is considered to be the fan favorite
best of the entire series?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Based on Geos rating, it's Best of Both Worlds Part I.

During the viewers choice marathon at the end of the series (they didn't rank them), the five episodes shown were: Relics, Inner Light, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds I and Best of Both Worlds II.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Based on Geos rating, it's Best of Both Worlds Part I

Duh....I was having a senior moment and totally forgot about the Borg episodes.

Of course, that would be the shining moment in TNG's run.

Have not gotten to Relics as of yet. I am guessing that is in Season 6 (which I am
watching now) or Season 7.

BTW, another really surprisingly good episode in Season 6 (getting ahead of myself
in this thread) was Man of the People. This is where Deanna meets an Ambassador
and ages rapidly. There's one shot of her in a very skimpy see-through gown that
had me doing a double-take. I am certain the high-def transfer is revealing more than
what had been intended to be seen in the original SD broadcast.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ron, Relics is early in S6...within the first five or six episodes.

I'm also kind of surprised to hear you liked Man of the People. It's not generally well-regarded amonst fans and I have a negative memory about it. Just a few more weeks and I'll see if that memory holds up!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Relics is an okay episode. It's really an opportunity for Scotty to visit the show, with a tech-heavy story to justify it.

If I were to think of my own favorites of the series, I'd go with:

Heart of Glory
Q Who
Measure of a Man
Yesterday's Enterprise
Best of Both Worlds pt 1
Family
Darmok
Cause and Effect
The First Duty
Chain of Command pts 1 & 2
Ship in a Bottle