What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Movie Collection (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The only one of these I have decided to pick up for now is First Contact. I watched most of it last night, and I am very happy with the quality. Spot checking against the two disc DVD edition, they have definitely done dirt and scratch removal, though done right, that can be a good thing. In general, it does have a cleaned up look to it, and I don't really detect that "layer of film grain". That being said, there is a lot of detail, and no real signs that it is of the EE or artificial variety. Aside from prosthetics, I don't get any waxy impressions either. If someone told me that this is what the digital intermediate looked like, I'd believe them.

So for First Contact at least, pick it up and enjoy it, because there are no real signs of foul play, and it looks great.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Neither Target, Best Buy nor Wal-Mart got any copies here. Paramount must be experiencing technical difficulties. The only place which got the set on release day was Hastings but their retail price is disturbingly high at $70.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Clinton McClure

Neither Target, Best Buy nor Wal-Mart got any copies here. Paramount must be experiencing technical difficulties.
I seem to recall similar distribution issues with one or both of the TOS movies and TOS S1...

Brad M

Second Unit
I bought it on release day at Best Buy. $50! They had several copies. I was wondering why there was no discussion on HTF about it. Thanks for starting one Jeff!

I popped in Generations and Nemesis. I thought Generations looked better even though that might be because of how dark Nemesis is when compared to the colors in Generations. I'm really looking forward to viewing these along with the new special features. Gotta watch my Braveheart disc first then off to Trekland!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Paramount finally got the rights figured out to the original theatrical trailer for Generations. If memory serves, it was not present on either of the DVD editions.

Now, the information I had always said the reason it wasn't included was something with music rights. If they can figure this one out, what are the chances the home video folks (aka CBS) can do the same with the inevitable Enterprise or TAS BD's? (TNG, DS9 and VOY would be nice too, but it's not quite inevitable they'll get the HD treatment.)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I also picked up the set at BB on Tuesday. They only had a couple on the shelf when I went in at lunch time.

Thus far, we have only screened Insurrection, which I thought looked and sounded fantastic on my 53" Pio. There was nothing about the image that I saw that warranted anything but an overall rave. Solid colors, excellent detail, great contrast. There was even a bit of 3D pop apparent from time to time.

Looking forward to screening the others.

Brian

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I plan on picking up this set very soon. Looking forward to watching the films in HD very soon.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was able to find a set at Best Buy on Saturday morning. I called and was informed they only got in two sets and one was already gone when I got there at 11 so I snatched the other one. It kinda sucks that it was on sale for $20 off on release week and they only got a small handful of copies. Today I was back in the check out Labyrinth and they had a whole bunch of the sets... for the original $70 retail price. Maybe next weekend I can start watching them.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The strangest part of the new Carson/Coto commentary on GENERATIONS is David Carson's insistence that the Klingon ship explosion was a new element created and shot for his film. He even says he was onstage when the effects crew blew up the ship, and discusses the timing of the pyrotechnic blasts.

The problem with this is that this explosion was directly lifted from footage used for THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. There are plenty of new effects shots and explosions in GENERATIONS but that one is not one of them. I'm not even sure which explosion Carson actually saw but he has to know that he recycled a major shot from the prior film.

This mistake ranks along with David Gerrold repeatedly saying that his "Trouble with Tribbles" was the second appearance of Klingons in the series, when "Friday's Child" had already been shot before he got his own episode past the basic outline stage.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i picked up the single editions of first contact and undiscovered country. Watched first contact saturday and was blown away how much better it was than the dvd. audio and video. (42" 1080 lcd). I've always thought the dvd audio was a bit week in the opening space battle and the blu did not dissapoint. Even all the atmospheric stuff around the borg was very nice in the surrounds.

my only complaint was i dont remember off the top of my head of any deleted scenes for this movie on blu or dvd yet on the data feature they showed a quick scene i'd never seen before. am i just remembering wrong or has deleted scenes been put out there?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H ">

[/url]Generations really isn't as bad as all that . Just to see the two captains acting together is classic. It's not my favorite, but it sure as heck isn't my least favorite.[/QUOTE]Hey Bryan-

There are fun bits and a nice sequence where the Enterprise crashes. But I just didn't care for how the writers handled Kirk and why they did what they did to him. I prefer to think it didn't happen.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
My biggest problem with Generations is that the writers make Picard an idiot in the last quarter of the film (from the moment he enters the Nexus). He is given an opportunity to go back to any point in time and he picks the battle with Soren? Really? If I had been him, I would have gone back far enough to save my brother and nephew from dying in the accident and then zoomed over to the Armagosa station to pick up Soren and the Klingons before they could kill anybody. Of course, then we wouldn't have the big Kirk fight scene (although Picard could still have brought Kirk back and re-introduced him to the similarly temporally-displaced Scotty).

But for three quarters of the movie, it's pretty entertaining.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie

My biggest problem with Generations is that the writers make Picard an idiot in the last quarter of the film (from the moment he enters the Nexus). He is given an opportunity to go back to any point in time and he picks the battle with Soren? Really? If I had been him, I would have gone back far enough to save my brother and nephew from dying in the accident and then zoomed over to the Armagosa station to pick up Soren and the Klingons before they could kill anybody. Of course, then we wouldn't have the big Kirk fight scene (although Picard could still have brought Kirk back and re-introduced him to the similarly temporally-displaced Scotty).

I'm the last one to defend the script of Generations, but . . .

None of that behavior would be consistent with the Picard who'd experienced "Tapestry" in season 6 of TNG.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Blu-ray.com reviewed the set and their reviewer was not impressed with the visual quality of the set save Nemesis. I have not seen the discs myself but I think I will hold off. For whatever reason, Generations has always had a lousy transfer. Perhaps I'm making an unfounded conclusion, but the vibe I get is that these transfers are old ones. Merely reproduced on a higher resolution format. I passed on the first box set and will pass on this one. The TOS sets, however, are wonderful.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben ">[/url]

I'm the last one to defend the script of [i]Generations[/i], but . . .

None of that behavior would be consistent with the Picard who'd experienced "Tapestry" in season 6 of TNG.
[/QUOTE]I can't see how they are in any way analogous. In "Tapestry", Picard is making decisions about his own life. In "Generations", the stakes are the lives of everyone in two star systems (plus his brother and nephew).

Besides, in the movie he does decide to go back in time to stop Soren. So it could be argued that he has already passed that particular moral threshold.

But this kind of discussion is exactly why a writer giving a "godbox" to a character is a bad idea. There is almost no way that any resolution to the story can't be second-guessed.

(I guess I won't even mention the ludicrousnes of a rocket taking off from a planet and hitting the planet's sun in about 10 seconds

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
I was most anxious to hear about how Generations looked, as both previous DVD release's video quality were unmitigated disasters. It looked like it had been scanned at a higher resolution then downconverted without any sort of filter (i.e. as if they just tossed out every other scanline without any other processing).

It sounds like at least that problem was fixed.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by John Alderson

I was most anxious to hear about how Generations looked, as both previous DVD release's video quality were unmitigated disasters. It looked like it had been scanned at a higher resolution then downconverted without any sort of filter (i.e. as if they just tossed out every other scanline without any other processing).

It sounds like at least that problem was fixed.
Pontificating aside, I think this transfer of "Generations" is the best it has ever looked on video. Of course, I believe that about all of the Star Trek movie BDs. I'm not sorry that I bought either set.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie /forum/thread/293253/star-trek-the-next-generation-movie-collection/30#post_3611274

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie /forum/thread/293253/star-trek-the-next-generation-movie-collection/30#post_3611365

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks