What's new

star trek the next generation complete set coming (1 Viewer)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
they on tvshowsondvd showed us photos of the set and what it looks like, maybe they will sell the bonus disc separate.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It'd be nice if they did that but I bet they won't. Paramount knows that some Trek fans will 'have' to buy it because they won't be able to live without the bonus disc. That way they get to bleed those fans dry by making them spend hundreds of dollars (again).

troy evans

Screenwriter
All to True.Star Trek as a franchise does what's best for It not the fans.A fact They have proven time and time again.It's not really the bonus disc I care about,It's that awesome packaging. I have spent Years supporting Star Trek dvd releases just so some joe shmoe can get a deluxe box set and extra features, Not to mention spend a hell of alot less money than I did.I get pissed every time this shit happens because true fans get the shaft and people who don't care as much get Their asses kissed.I also love how every time They re-release the same stuff with new content They say Their doing it for the fans. Is that so...Well then how about a price tag between $100.00 to $150.00 Since We've all allready paid for this stuff. I mean if Their really doing it for the fans.I feel that price range is even to much to charge but it is realistic.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yup, looks nice but the price is to high for me, and I have not even bought this series yet. (I guess I am joe shmoe :) )

I have DS9 and Voy series, but am waiting for the right price for TNG.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I think the box looks cheap. That clear plastic cover looks like the type a toy would come in. The discs are in one of those book trays, and they are OK, but they dont have art of their own, so you have to have the cheap plastic "box" to keep it in. I only have through season 4, and i think i will just keep buying seasons 1 at a time when i can.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not biting on this one. Box looks kinda cool and it would be nice to clear up some shelf space, but the discs I currently have are working for me. Give me a Blu-Ray release in a far smaller package and then I might consider it. But for no commentaries, no bloopers, no deleted scenes, no TRAILERS...forget it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Priced beyond comprehension. Paramount is completely out of touch.

But beyond that... the green color is terrible. I guess whoever designed it looked at the last film artwork (Star Trek Nemesis), noticed the use of green, and thought that was the color that was associated with Star Trek. Not realizing that green is the color associated with the evil Romulan Empire; that's why Nemesis had the green art.

Bad price, bad color scheme, arguably a bad box design with those acrylic trays... Altogether a crappy set.

Price it at $100 to $200, and maybe I could overlook all the mistakes. Except the green - that's un-overlookable.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
DVDActive posted better versions of the photos that TVShowsOnDVD posted, and they pointed out that the discs have "Region 2" logos on them. Maybe this is not what the U.S. release will look like after all.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yeah, Are they posting the region 2 price? That's My Beef with it.I can get the whole series of "MacGyver"and the telefilms in a deluxe dvd set for around $160.00.But, I can't get a deal like this with Star Trek even though it's made a lot more money as a franchise.Screw You Paramount!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Jesus - does it come with a tube of lube so that it doesnt hurt so much when you raped up the ass by paramount again? 400-ish bones for a re-release - in a crappy package, no less? Thank god I washed my hands of the show after Movie 6.

Roger_R

Second Unit
Wonder if the extra discs will include the Best Buy bonus discs. They better since R1 didn't get those in the regular release.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I am sure the answer is a big fat no, but is there any chance of this release being remastered? The current Next Generation offerings look dreadful. My understanding is that the series was shot on film just like TOS, but for some reason, TOS looks much better than TNG. Perhaps something to do with the film transfer to videotape for all the post-production?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Afraid the questions been answered a few times, but in one of the many other Trek threads.
But here you go. Same transfers. Shot on film, but finished on tape. It is what it is unless they somehow find the film elements, and remake the effects for the show. The original Trek is the only 35mm Trek, all the others are finished on tape or HD tape.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Thanks for confirming. Do you happen to know if all seven seasons of TNG were filmed originally? Somehow the "lost" source material always has a way of being found at a later date. :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
All shot on film but to get them in HD would require years of work, rescanning, re-editing, redoing FX in HD...

and yes that price this many years on is ridiculous.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm still disappointed at CBS/Paramount for attaching such a high tag to the series set. I would have seriously considered buying the set but the Star Trek sets all seem to have such premium prices attached to the sets that the set would be priced out of the reach of everyones budget.

With sets like MASH, Sex in the City, Andromeda being priced around the $200 price range (at discount stores like Best Buy, Target and Circuit City) to have a premium high price tag still attached to Star Trek sets, I mean come on. It seems like Paramount is still exerting their control over pricing for the Star Trek sets.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I have the original sets and won't be trading up. Especially not at that price. Sheesh, that's just nuts! I just repackaged the original sets into slims to save space on my shelf and will be quite happy with those for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks