What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I love "Q Who" and not just because it introduces the Borg. I think it's a high point of the second season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed. A fabulous episode, and one which sent chills up my spine the first couple of times I saw it. I actually have two all-time favorites from that season (and one of them isn't Measure Of a Man, although I do like that one a whole lot). I love Q Who and Unnatural Selection. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched "The Drumhead" from season 4.

Astonishing. Probably the most well written episode I have seen yet.
It truly shows what a great captain Picard is.

Think I'll watch it again tomorrow
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Over the past week or so, I've watched some excellent episodes of TNG. Some of these have included A Matter of Honor, Sins of the Father, Emissary, Reunion, and Redemption (pts. 1 and 2). We also watched The Sword of Kahless (DS9). And tonight, we watched Generations. The only episode missing from the theme was The Sons of Mogh. ;) It was a good way for some of our children to see the inner workings of the Klingons and the Klingon Empire, the Duras family, and to see the concept of Worf's discommondation (and restoration) a bit more clearly. It's been some wonderful viewing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You might also watch The Sons of Mogh (DS9) and Firstborn (TNG). Great theme you have going. I also thought the complex Klingon society shown on TNG and DS9 should have been shown in the films, but all we ever got in the movies were cartoon Klingons. And if you want to see the story that started in Reunion through to its conclusion, you have to see The Dogs of War (DS9) and the events leading up to it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam,

Yes, I mentioned The Sons of Mogh above. That's one of my favorites, and one I watched around three weeks ago. ;) The Dogs of War is a good choice, as is Firstborn. In Firstborn, I never saw the conclusion of that one coming the first time I saw it! And speaking of Firstborn, I love the work of James Sloyan in Trek. He has played several roles and has been in at least three Trek series. :emoji_thumbsup:

James Sloyan - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

The Duras/Romulan angle in Generations was a nice sub-plot to that film, I thought. I liked the concept of 'trilithium.' And it's great how the Duras sisters' ship was destroyed, and how they got caught up in the Nexus, regressed in age, and ended up on the earth-like planet in Miri.

Just kidding about the last part, of course. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It's more fun if you consider that, in Starship Mine, the thieves were stealing trilithium -- perhaps to sell to the Duras sisters for a plot that was already underway.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam,

I share this opinion as well. When I first saw the episode, I had no idea he was an Admiral (Worf's hintful remarks notwithstanding). A great, great episode. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Me three! The Jarok episode and The Enemy and those episodes including Tomalak are some of the really good Romulan episodes. I particularly enjoyed The Enemy and Picard's talking to Tomalak to lower their weapons as they had an opportunity to make something of the situation rather then mutual destruction.

Starship Mine is always a favorite too!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Tomalok played his role exceedingly well, didn't he? His responses to Picard, while well written, were conveyed by Katsulas with such conviction and measured passion (even for a Romulan). I think he was probably my favorite Romulan from TNG, although I also liked the Romulan commander in Face of the Enemy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Scott, poor Carolyn Seymour's character as the Romulan Commander was good. Troi kept provoking and poking at her and I felt it wasn't deserved. But she was playing her part as the Tal Shiar.

Seymour played 2 Romulan Commanders who got the shaft, the other was in Contagion. In researching for this reply, I didn't realize she played such a wonderfully positive character in the TNG episode First Contact as Mirasta Yale. And she was in Voyager too as Mrs. Templeton.

I might have to watch The Enemy again soon!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That episode was an excellent vehicle for Geordi. Or was 'The Enemy' shorthand for Face of the Enemy?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I meant The Enemy, Scott. I did play it yesterday! And I got halfway into The Defector, but had to stop it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Those Romulan episodes from the first four seasons or so created a running storyline for TNG that was never adequately followed up (and certainly not by Nemesis). The Romulans were almost the main adversaries on that show, as they seemed to pop up pretty regularly from the end of season 1 through season 4 (or into season 5 with the Unification arc).

I guess the producers thought the Borg were sexier.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Speaking of the Borg, I saw Drone (VOY) for the first time ever last night. I though that that episode had 'teeth.' I really enjoyed it. 'One' certainly was not Hugh's brother. ;)

Okay, back to TNG.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, Drone was a pretty good one!

I'm watching Contagion now. Looking back, seems kind of simplistic today to simply re-start the Enterprise as the solution!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Ock,

Even with it's flaws, I also think Nemesis had its moments. Heck, I liked it better than Insurrection and The Final Frontier. Could'a done without B-4, though!

Even Wrath of Khan ain't perfect (Khan remembering Chekov)!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Ric,

Hey, it's great to see another fan of the film. It's not my favorite, but as you say, it has its moments. Even Star Trek V: The Final Frontier has its moments. I tend to find things in just about any film (and in most music) that are worth appreciating and discussing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree that Final Frontier has its moments, as did Generations (another film I didn't like). I can't agree, however, that Nemesis did. I thought everything about the film - especially the feel of the movie - was wrong. Even my wife, who was introduced to TNG a few years back and who loved all of DS9, watched Nemesis with me and was yelling at the screen, saying "Oh come on!"

We recently watched TMP, Khan, and Search, and enjoyed them all. We're making our way through all the films in anticipation of the Abrams movie. I hopeful that we'll get at least a glimpse of the TNG era in the film, as rumored.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam,

As you are making your way through all of the films, I would appreciate it if you would watch Nemesis at least twice (and preferably thrice), just for good measure.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks