What's new

Star Trek The Next Generation appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
One of the highlights of TNG! This and Reunification p1 and 2.

When they felt they had done their due, they earned the right to bring the TOS actors on and it was great.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Scotty episode was very well done. Credit to Ron Moore who wrote it; he really injected an appreciation for the original show. It was the best of all the episodes that featured an original series actor and character (the others being: Sarek, Unification I & II, Encounter at Farpoint, and the Generations movie).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bryan,

It was (and is) a wonderfully poignant episode. As Sam mentioned, Ron Moore -- a huge fan of TOS -- is to be thanked and credited many times over. And for fans of TOS who understand and appreciate all of the references, it is like an easter egg of sorts. His work in "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) was also top-notch.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Bryan,

It was (and is) a wonderfully poignant episode. As Sam mentioned, Ron Moore -- a huge fan of TOS -- is to be thanked and credited many times over. And for fans of TOS who understand and appreciate all of the references, it is like an easter egg of sorts. His work in "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9) was also top-notch.
I liked the DS9 episode as well.
To anyone who knows, is there a Trek novel dealing with Scotty after the 'Relics' episode?
I really hope there is.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm not sure about Scotty specifically, but I'm pretty sure I saw a novel in my local used bookstore that delt with the Dyson sphere (not sure if it was before or after the episode).

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There are a bunch of post "Relics" novels with Scotty in them.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Montgomery_Scott

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SilverWook

There are a bunch of post "Relics" novels with Scotty in them.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Montgomery_Scott
Awesome!
Thanks.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Brannon Braga's season 6 episodes are abysmal. I really can't stand his work. If I remember correctly some of his Voyager work is a little better(not much).
'Frame of Mind' was one of the worst TNG episodes I have seen.

Wonder what Rodenberry would have thought about the techno babble/horror stories that Braga brought to the mix.

I now understand why so many Trekkies regard Braga as the undoing of Trek.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

'Frame of Mind' was one of the worst TNG episodes I have seen.

Interesting. I really enjoyed this episode, and considered it one of the better episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I remember back in the day and an interview with him in Starlog. I don't recall that much except it had a photo of him dressed in something like a smoking jacket and lit all red. The fall out of that picture and his comments was that he was evil incarnate. And thus began the Berman/Braga bashing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At least Braga keeps humble about his writings of Trek, and admits some eps were bad:

http://www.geekosystem.com/brannon-braga-fox-deal/

I still don't like his work, and to be fair I have only seen about 10% of Voyager, so maybe I will find some of his episodes on there entertaining.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I never cared for Braga's writing. Far too many of his episodes introduced crazy, what-if scenarios, only to push the reset button at the end. His favorite storytelling method is the "what is reality?" conundrum, and it got old very quickly on Trek.

Much to fans' irritation, he admitted in the mid-90s that he was not a fan of the original series, and didn't see the need to familiarize himself with it. Back on AOL circa 1994 there was a message board titled "Is Brannon Braga Evil?", which was a ludicrous title for a thread about people not liking his work, but par for the course on the internet. That lead to an article in the now-defunct but great magazine Sci-Fi Universe (which was run by Mark Altman) with the same title, in which Braga admitted that Generations had huge plot holes.

I always found it interesting that he paired off with Ron Moore on several writing assignments (and won a few awards together), since Moore's stories were always steeped in political, social and historical axioms, and which always seemed much closer to the Trek tradition. Braga's work was the opposite, and IMO, lightweight.

There's obviously something to his work that people love, especially if none other than Steven Speilberg has hired him to write his new prehistoric adventure show. But Braga's writing is just not my cup of tea.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Sam, I remember that he made the remark that he never cared for TOS or watched it. Not to defend him, but he did later explain that comment. His explanation was that Gene Roddenberry told him not to watch it so he wouldn't be influenced by it and to do new stuff. But at the time, it sounded like he didn't like TOS and didn't want anything to do with it, which is what made a lot of us unhappy!

He said later that he eventually did see TOS and that he liked it very much.

Perhaps he's really misunderstood in the public eye. He has been steadily working since his time on Trek. His work may not have been popular with the audience, (I never watched 24) but he has been working.

There was one later episode he did of TNG that I did like. The one where Picard, Troi and I think Geodi are in a shuttle heading back to the Enterprise and they see it frozen in space with a Romulan ship. It was called Timescape. Though that episode seemed like it was inspired by Moore's The Next Phase, which I thought was a superior episode.

I also liked Parallels for one reason, a friend and I liked it for the shot of the other Riker who couldn't take the war anymore with the Borg. What I didn't like is how it set up this romance with Worf that sort of didn't go anywhere and then became a part of the finale. At least they fixed that in the last 2 movies.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I loved Timescape. There were so many 'clues' there to try to use to deduce what had occurred, but the events weren't anything like one would expect once we were finally told what had actually happened.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I'm going to rewatch Timescape now that we are discussing it because I can't remember exactly how it ends! I have a vague memory. I do remember Picard's hand being in that time bubble and his hand aging!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I may do the same. I'm still working my way through other series at the moment. But a TNG diversion would be nice. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott! Yeah, I had watched a lot of Outer Limits recently, so making a change for a bit!

Timescape ending differently then I remembered, I thought they did something else to help the aliens. But I won't spoil it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Any idea how much of a possibility this could be?

Jonathan Frakes wants to do a Star Trek: Titan miniseries http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/jonathan-frakes-wants-to.php

Would be nice to see the old crew together one more time, and it could lead to a DS9 miniseries, etc., if successful.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Interesting. I would like to see this happen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks