What's new

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Stll my favorite of the original films and the one I rewatch the most. :)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
We're planning a marathon on December 7.
We're going to watch the theatrical version of Star Trek: TMP on blu-ray, followed by the director's cut on DVD, and listen to the complete soundtrack.
We were there on opening day in 1979.
For all it's flaws, it's the only Star Trek film for me.
I'm unable to enjoy the sequels that followed for reasons I won't go into here.
It's so thoroughly a Robert Wise film, too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Richard, don't forget, if you have not already got it, listen to the newer audio commentary with Mike Matesino, David Fein and Daren Dochterman linked above in Lou's post.
I'll probably do a similar viewing, but I've been getting into the new ST-TMP Soundtrack last weekend already!
I can understand what you mean about the other films. Over time, I've felt the TOS films have lost a little of their appeal for me as they are less and less Star Trek. Though I still like them myself because they are the TOS films!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
Now the soundtrack for ST: TMP is one recording I could easily purchase. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you don't already have the LaLa Land release of ST-TMP Scott, better hurry. It's a limited run of 10,000 copies. Like the coming Star Trek TOS Soundtrack is limited to 6,000.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nelson Au said:
Richard, don't forget, if you have not already got it, listen to the newer audio commentary with Mike Matesino, David Fein and Daren Dochterman linked above in Lou's post.
I'll have to get someone to download it for me and save to a disc.
Nelson Au said:
I'll probably do a similar viewing, but I've been getting into the new ST-TMP Soundtrack last weekend already!
I can understand what you mean about the other films. Over time, I've felt the TOS films have lost a little of their appeal for me as they are less and less Star Trek. Though I still like them myself because they are the TOS films!
They have the original cast but they are not The Original Series films, not in spirit nor in intent. The producers took those films in the wrong direction. They are souring, depressing, miserable films in which even the comedy is self-demeaning.
I'll stick with The Motion Picture, and its astonishing score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Don't mince words Bones. Tell us what you really think! :)
I think there's a large degree of a directors vision that colors each Star Trek film. Meyers films always pushed his sensibilities at the time.
I certainly enjoy at least 3 other of the 6 films in addition to the first film.
I agree that the first film is the purist Star Trek and the smartest and has the hardest science fiction. There's a vision and grandeur. A feast for the eyes, ears and brain.
There's something for everyone in the other films.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nelson Au said:
I agree that the first film is the purist Star Trek and the smartest and has the hardest science fiction. There's a vision and grandeur. A feast for the eyes, ears and brain.
Yes, indeed.
I'm not a purist, however. Not really. A purist would demand uniforms like in the TV program, getting that mess of a screenplay ship-shape Bristol-fashion before principle photography commenced, and saying goodbye to Deckar at the station when the Enterprise pulls out.
But I can live with those changes.
Nelson Au said:
There's something for everyone in the other films.
No, there ain't.
I saw the sequels as they were released a few times each, and I've checked them out on home video. They're just product. Employment for my favorite actors. Destroying the Enterprise in the third one was a slap in the face, not to mention a monumental error in judgment, that I find impossible to forgive. The vision of Gene Roddenberry died on film in that moment, so there's nothing for me in the sequels.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Happy Anniversary! Star Trek The Motion Picture is 33.
What to watch, the theatrical or DE? :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Brilliant film if I wanted to play a decent version I have few to chose from bluray or LASERDISC. I'd go for LASERDISC as the mix is exact to I was listening too at the cinema. I rest my case.

THE LASERDISC ADVENTURE IS JUST BEGINNING... :P

10608527_10152642115700149_4214155381058195046_o.jpg

10560491_10152642115920149_2849647838115430641_o.jpg

10506952_10152642116255149_6218486810216056813_o.jpg

1966074_10152642116415149_3131599111791044172_o.jpg

10498637_10152642116645149_6434878856519871283_o.jpg

10450268_10152642116895149_7410106708143858261_o.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I just watched this again recently via the Blu-ray. It holds up very well. Saw it in its original theatrical run. I sold my laserdiscs and player back in the late 90's, after getting into DVD, but I've been looking at some of the laserdisc players for sale on ebay. I never had this on laserdisc, so I can't say.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Agreed with those that find TMP to be the best. I watched the Blu-ray last month and enjoyed it very much. I still have the 25th anniversary LD box set but haven't watched It in years. I still use the LD player for those titles I do not have in either Blu-ray or DVD.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
Agreed with those that find TMP to be the best. I watched the Blu-ray last month and enjoyed it very much. I still have the 25th anniversary LD box set but haven't watched It in years. I still use the LD player for those titles I do not have in either Blu-ray or DVD.
Play both at same time and listen for when Mr. Scott, when he cautions the bridge about going to warp speed, but he was always do that each week. :lol: Listen to how it sounds on laserdisc is the way its suppose to be. Then listen to the dreadful re-mix with he echo that has been added in. The voice sounds on stage right. It also leaks out to the surrounds.

Also when Kirk, gives Sulu, new orders to take Enterprise to 500 meters above the intruder. Sulu, presses a button on the helm control panel but the sound is missing on stage left. The laserdisc has it all intact.

I can't listen to the film on bluray no more as I'm distracted. The picture looks okay, its just been ether rushed or re-recoding mixer that's just rushed all too fast?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gary Seven said:
Me too Gary. I only break out an old Laserdisc if the title is not available on DVD or blu ray as they are both superior to laserdisc. Or to watch some old ld extras that were never ported over. Laserdiscs were so awesome twenty years ago. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't seem to find the most recent thread on TMP; anyway, I stumbled upon this today.

Now, I'm a fan of Taxi, and I think Bob James' theme from Taxi is one of the greatest TV themes ever recorded.

That said, this might be one of the worst things I have ever heard, and it appears to be real (not a mashup):

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm surprised nobody has made a Taxi-like opening using footage from STTMP, including flash and freeze cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks