What's new

Star Trek: The Animated Series (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I really enjoy TAS. The tie-ins to TOS are neat, as is the introduction of a few things that we eventually see in subsequent series (e.g., aliens on the Bridge additional to Spock; the concept of the holodeck; backstories of various characters such as Spock, etc.). I also appreciated the interview with D. C. Fontana. I was quite pleased when this set was eventually released on DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by younger1968
Hi Jason,

I thought Kirk always new about his son, but, mom did not want him travelling the galaxy with him. Carolyn Marcus in the Wrath of Khan made comments about we were ever going to be together and she wanted their son with her, not travelling the galaxy. The son episode maybe a little far-fetched, because he could be young.
I'd have to go back to ST II to figure it out. I could have sworn Kirk didn't know about David prior to ST II, but I could be wrong.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I'd have to go back to ST II to figure it out. I could have sworn Kirk didn't know about David prior to ST II, but I could be wrong.

Hi Jason,

I could be wrong, but, i thought when they are stranded down in the caverns she brings up David and travelling the stars with Kirk. David would have been so called like 20-24, so he would have been too young. However, Carolyn Marcus's character could have been introduced into an episode which would explain how kirk met her. It is a good discussion point around different episodes that could be created to close out the five year mission

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Jason_V

I'm pretty sure you're right...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, Kirk knew about David but had either never met him, or hadn't seen him in years (since he didn't recognise him when he said 'I'm Dr. Marcus').

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly, Kirk knew about David but had either never met him, or hadn't seen him in years (since he didn't recognise him when he said 'I'm Dr. Marcus').
Here is the info from

octor Carol Marcus was one of the leading molecular biologists in the Federation. She devoted her life to her research.
During the late 2250s or early 2260s, Carol became involved with a young Starfleet officer named James T. Kirk, and in 2261 she gave birth to their son, David. However, she felt that they had no basis for a lasting relationship, with Kirk traveling around the universe while she worked in a lab, so she asked that Kirk leave her alone to raise the boy. That they both cared more for their careers than they did for each other was never disputed. As Carol saw it, she and Kirk lived in entirely different worlds, and she wanted her son to be raised in hers.
Carol continued with her work. She enjoyed much success, and in 2284 she proposed the most ambitious and potentially dangerous of her plans to the Federation, dubbed "Project Genesis". Once her proposal was accepted for Federation funding, she began a three-stage development process, accompanied by a highly skilled team of scientists which included her son, Dr. David Marcus.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/James_Kirk

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks younger. I was headed to Memory Alpha when I got home, but you beat me to it. I thereby stand corrected.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Interesting rumor about a new Star Trek animated series:
http://blastr.com/2011/05/rumor-of-the-day-roberto.php

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I heard a rumor a few years ago from George Takei saying he would like to see the Animated Series re-started to complete the five year mission. If you count StarTrek TOS and the Aminated series then you have 4 years. It would be nice to complete five years. I have a old magazine and it tries to close the gap between Star Trek series and the movies. The magazine talks about Kirk going back to planet horta along with some other neat missions. So, there is a framework that can used for the new cartoon series or kick starting the series.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger
Would love to see the full animated series on Blu-Ray.
I don't know if Blu would be a big improvement. Filmation shows (at least the live-action ones) were always filmed in 16mm rather than 35mm. I'm assuming they did the same with animation, but if I'm incorrect, then my apologies.

The other question would be whether the film elements still exist or not and whether it'd be worth Paramount's while to make the investment in a Blu cleanup (after all, several people--including myself--found this set as a close-out at Big Lots for less than $10).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have star trek the animated series on dvd and watch it from time to time. I am a huge star trek (TOS) fan and all the movies/tv series related to it.
I do like the cartoon, especially with some of the links towards the old series
1. Yesteryear (related to City on the edge of forever)
2. One of our planets is missing (this episode had Bob Wesley, who was mentioned in the Ultimate Computer)
3. More Tribbles, More Troubles (Trouble with Tribbles)
4. Infinite Vulcan (Eugenics war, i.e. tie to Space Seed)
5. Once upon a Planet (Shore Leave)
6. Mudd's Passion (Mudd''s Women)
7. Time Trap (Korr is mentioned and he was in Errand of Mercy)
I think i also read that cartoon is not part of the TOS timeline.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have decided to re-watch Star Trek Animated series as i love it as a kid. I did notice some interesting things with series that there are few episodes that based on the original series: 1. Yesteryear link with City on edge of forever, Amok time or Journey to Babel 2. Once upon a Planet linked to Shore Leave 3. More Tribbles, More troubles linked to Trouble with Tribbles 4. Mudd Passion linked to Mudd's Women or i Mudd 5. The Infinite Vulcan - Space Seed - Eugenics 6. The Time Trap - Korr Character from Errand of Mercy 7. One of Our Planets Is Missing could be link to Obsession (cloud) or Bob Wesley (mentioned in Ultimate Computer) 8. Lorelei Signal could be link to spocks brain I welcome other people's thoughts and/or suggestions.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Paul, An interesting thesis, well picked up. I haven't watched the series for a number of years now but you've whet my appetite to get my set out. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm perfectly content with the DVD Copy. I currently own. Although I have a Blu-Ray Player I only have a handful of movie and one TV Series (It happens to be Star Trek - The Original Series which "The Big River actually sold for cheaper than the DVD Version last year.! If I see some series I don't have on DVD or Blu available at a bargain price I'll get them, but I'm not going to throw out a perfectly good DVD to replace it with a Blu. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks