What's new

Star Trek: The Animated Series (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Damn I was so excited about the future release of Star Trek TAS until I read Dave's interview with David Gerrold at tvshowsondvd.com (Great interview btw Dave!) that Columbia House are the ones putting it out.

I'm really glad someone is putting this great show on dvd, but who wants to pay $19.95 plus s/h each (once a month) for dvds that I'm guessing only have about 4 episodes on them? Been there, done that, st: tos, st:tng, jeanie I'd rather buy them all together off someone on ebay.

I don't know, maybe I'm being too overly critical, but gee whiz, you can pre-order Diff'rent Strokes season one for 20 bucks at amazon.

All I want is all 22 episodes in a nice little set.

I wish rhino or paramount would've gotten to it before CH.

Disney and CH are my two least favorite companies.

What do you all think is this good or bad?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I can't imagine there won't be a box set from Paramount. Whatever the deal with Columbia House is, I am betting we see a box set from the same folks who will have issued 24 box sets of Trek by year end.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Hmmm. All I have is about 7 VHS tapes. Remember Errols? Well they went out of business back in 98/99 or so, and I grabbed all the ones they had...

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I liked the Columbia House Muppet Show dvds as incomplete and expensive as they were.

But I can't believe Paramount's not putting this out. They even had a poll on their site about it. And really what Trek is left for them to put out?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The reports I've read state that PHE is looking to issue it in 2005 along with "Enterprise" season sets and the "First Contact" 2-disc SE. When it'll come out is anybody's ballpark.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
If Columbia House is putting this show on DVD, then I don't want it then. I've had problems with CH years ago which is why I hate Columbia House.

I just wish the Paramount would have bought this show to DVD. I want this on DVD in season format or a complete episode DVD release.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Yeah, they might as well release all 22 episodes at once. They're only half an hour as well.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I loved the animated series when I was young but having watched it a few years ago I was not impressed anymore.

Funny how things you used to love in your childhood just arent the same when you watch them 30 years later.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I just rewatched the eps not too long ago and while they seem to be a bit cheesy now, there are some good ideas involved. This was a Saturday cartoon aimed at the kiddees, correct?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This was a Saturday cartoon aimed at the kiddies, correct?
While it was aired on Saturday mornings, it wasn't primarily aimed at kids. The show was written by many of the same writers that were responsible for TOS; and, of course, the main regulars of TOS provided the voices for their counterparts on the show. The show even provided some innovation by introducing some obviously alien regular characters to the bridge, something that would not have been possible with a live-action weekly series made on a limited budget. (By "obviously alien", I mean characters with multiple appendages; not just "pointed ears"!)

It represented the only new Star Trek that anyone would see between the end of the TOS series in 1969 and the beginning of the motion picture series in 1979. As such, it played a huge role in maintaining the momentum of the powerful Star Trek merchandising arm that was just getting into high gear with TOS in syndication.

It was a very important series for Paramount at the time and it's very surprising how little regard that studio has for it now.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Filmation's original concept for TAS included a group of children accompanying and assisting the Enterprise crew members on missions, and promotional artwork was created to promote the concept. (Ironically, this idea would resurface in 1987 with The Next Generation [i.e. Wesley Crusher].) But it was fortunately scrapped in favor of doing animated adventures in the style of the original episodes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am a huge fan of Star Trek and have both the Original Series and the animated series on DVD. I like the cartoon, because it had some great crossover and/or connections with the original series.

1. Yesteryear – This episode has a tied to both the City on Edge of Forever and Journey to Babel. There are references to Spock’s pet in the Journey to Babel. I believe Dr McCoy said something like did Spock have a favorite toy and the Amanda Grayson said yes, it was a sehlat.

2. One of our planets is missing – This episode brings back Bob Wesley, who was introduced in The Ultimate Computer. This episode also shows the mind meld, which was used in episodes like the Changeling, Devil in the Dark, Specter of the Gun, etc.

3. More Trimbles, More Troubles – This is a continuation of Trouble with Trimbles. It was a great episode, because it brought back Cyrano Jones.

4. The Survivor – Is an interesting episode, because the Enterprise is patrolling the neutral zone near the romulans. This could be very similar to the Enterprise incident, accept the romulans did the reverse and try to capture the ship

5. The Infinite Vulcan – Talks about the eugenics war and this feeds into Space Seed and Khan.

6. Once upon a Planet – this episode takes us back to the shore leave episode and planet. This is a good episode, because the keeper is now dead.

7. Mudd’s Passion – Good Ole Mudd shows up again. His character was seen twice in the original series, Mudd’s Women and I, Mudd. I like the fact that Roger C Carmel voice was used in this episode

8. The Time Trap – This episode brings back Captain Korr, who was in the episode called Errand of Mercy. However, John Colicos voice was not use, but instead was replaced by Scotty’s voice.

9. Pirates of Orion – This episode is only the 2ndtime the Orion was mention in the original series. The Orion name was mentioned in Journey to Babel. The Orion syndicate was also mentioned in Star Trek Enterprise as well

10. How sharper than the Serpent’s tooth – this episode bring into Kukulkan a Mexican ancient god. This episode is very similar to Who Mourns for Adonais.

11. Counter-Clock – This episode introduces Robert April, but, he was never mentioned in any other star trek episodes.

Overall, I like the animated series, because it did have some ties into the original series. I wish it lasted a bit longer or at least ended the five-year mission. I would love to have see episodes around the following:

1. Episode based on the lost city of Atlantis. The show kind of touched on this plot via The Ambergris Element.

2. Maybe go back to the bread and circus episode to see what has happen to Roman Empire. Kirk makes reference that it would be great to back to see the fall of the roman empire

3. Kirk’s Son – You could do an episode around introducing Kirk’s son and have him go a mission with Kirk. Kirk’s son shows up in the movie, but, nothing ever was mentioned earlier on about his children

4. British Monarchy – You could do an episode on planet based on the British monarchy and the battles with Scotland.

5. Captain Kirk being promoted to admiral and transitioning the captaincy over to a new captain. The star trek movie touches on this, but, it would be a great final episode for Star Trek after its five-year mission

6. Bermuda Triangle mystery planet. This would be a great episode like Delta Triangle, but, you could get more specific with say a planet and missing landing parties, science team, etc.

7. Tropical Planet – You could do a mission based on planet like Hawaii and its’ native fight for independence.

8. Enterpriseand Yorktown – You episode with joint discover with another starship.

I welcome people thoughts and/or suggestions.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by younger1968

1. Kirk’s Son – You could do an episode around introducing Kirk’s son and have him go a mission with Kirk. Kirk’s son shows up in the movie, but, nothing ever was mentioned earlier on about his children

Depending on when the episode was produced, it might violate continuity. Kirk didn't know about David, according to ST II. Carol kept David away for fear he's turn out like his father. Therefore, having Kirk and David team up on a mission would be a no go...if the episode were to be made now.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Depending on when the episode was produced, it might violate continuity. Kirk didn't know about David, according to ST II. Carol kept David away for fear he's turn out like his father. Therefore, having Kirk and David team up on a mission would be a no go...if the episode were to be made now.
Hi Jason,

I thought Kirk always new about his son, but, mom did not want him travelling the galaxy with him. Carolyn Marcus in the Wrath of Khan made comments about we were ever going to be together and she wanted their son with her, not travelling the galaxy. The son episode maybe a little far-fetched, because he could be young.

I would have love to see their five year mission ended. There could some continuance/follow up episodes, especially ones listed in a star trek magazine i have like the Horta (dying) and kirk being called to sit over the legal proceedings, there is introduction of Decker's son, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks