What's new

Star Trek Television Series' (1 Viewer)

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

I think most people that really like a show think like you do and that is the way I feel to (the whole movie vs. TVonDVD) but the problem lies in the fact that other shows that have been on the market shorter than Star Trek: TNG and have gone lower to scoop those off of the fences.

IMO, the problem lies in the bins for cheap movies you speak of. People do see the movies in the bin and instead of buying something they may like more than what is in the cheap bin they'll buy what is in the bin and wait until the other movie goes into said bin and buy it.

This is what is happening with TV on DVD. Granted there are probably people that will pay full (or near full) price for the show they liked but people see other shows on sale and some will wait until the show they want is on sale and buy it at that time.

So you see I believe that there are people out there who will pay full price for something and there is also a group of people that believe that full price isn't worth it. And if they believe they can wait and pay significantly less they will wait.

Meanwhile, if it is a new show on DVD, and their just is not enough people buying at regular price than the company making the DVDs may not make more because the consumer decided to wait for lower prices.

Eric, who knows that X-Files and Star Trek are not like any other show. Who also knows that long "sentences" are cool.

Eric, who really likes Jeff*H's idea of dropping the price of the first set to draw those on the fence to buy Season 1 and decide to buy more. Problem is, most people think that Season 1 and 2 of TNG are not the greatest

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

No... there has never been a published MSRP in Paramount's marketing literature for the Star Trek TV DVDs. All of their DVD information of all Star Trek sets says "Priced around $100" or "Priced under $100." Most of their other product is listed with a MSRP. It's more than semantics in the wording, since if the MSRP were $100, you wouldn't likely see so many retailers listing these at $149.

Retailers publish MSRPs for these sets, but they are basing the number on their markup over what the sets cost them. They should not call it MSRP, since that suggests the "M"anufacturer is setting the list price.

You can bet that, since it is the discount buys that put these at $100, Paramount is distributing these at a price higher than what would normally sell at $100 at retail... that's why the retailer's list price is higher. In effect, the "list price" is over $100 - but you never heard that from the manufacturer.

Most retailers can't actually make their standard markup at $100.

-Scott

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You also have to remember that many retailers aren't buying direct from the studios, because they don't buy in the quantities that would make that worthwhile. Instead they buy through wholesale distributors, so there's another layer of markups to be dealt with.

Regards,

Joe

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

How about a William Shatner(I just won my second Emmy) Super Ego Box Set with all the episodes together in one box?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Except that set wouldn't contain all the episodes, just the shows (and the movies) that focus most on Kirk. Generations would be cut to 40 minutes. And all of the other actor's lines would be redubbed by Shatner. For $50,000 you can get the ultimate Trek experience set, where Shatner comes to your house and does a dramatic reading of the scripts. :D

Regards,

Joe

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
So true JoSAN! Shatner has always given bad dialog bad acting. But when its a good script he can really make it gold. I think the thing that stirs people up is his over the top self importance, that if not for him Star Trek would be nothing. Maybe the idea that all Trek fans are fat greasy guys who cant get a date didn't set well with a lot of people too, ala Saturday Night Live. But i dont love him or hate him. Oh yea, I have watched Trek for 35 of my 42 years, and it is still my favorite show.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I would first like to submit that this has become disasterously off topic. The thread was about DVDs, not the show itself. There is a forum for that.

That said, William Shatner only has himself to blame for the way many fans feel about him. As has been mentioned, he doesn't have a history of treating the fans well, and I frankly find his recent (in the last fifteen years) treatment to be less than sincere. There are legitimate hard feelings about his attitude, the influence he has had on the francise (anyone remember Star Trek V? If not go listen to the DVD commentary, it's Shatner and his daughter Liz).

I do not believe Star Trek owes anything to William Shatner. William Shatner got a very good financial run from that franchise and from it's fans. There are twenty five seasons of Star Trek that have nothing to do with him. While attacking his acting is sometimes over done (he's very respectable in the movie Trial at Nuremberg, I highly recommend it), it is not without reason that many people dislike him.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Okay

I freely admit That I do not know what all this Shatner dissing is about but before we all go launching in to that kind of thing, lets remember, Fans reap what they sew. If Shatner or any actor or actress has had fans go overborad over the years, Then they are going to be less likely to be fan friendly. I think we should all remember that

Upon James Doohan's death I read a quote in which he stated he thought Shatner was arrogant. Well, okay actors do not always get along. I thought despite individual disagreements, the movies and show always came off well

As to the commentary. I haven't seen it but I have a feeling those decisions are influenced by what Paramount thinks will do well and what Paramount says goes. They obviously felt that a father daughter team up was a big deal

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

It is fairly well known that, aside from Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley, the rest of the original Star Trek cast had a rather strong dislike for Shatner. Some of them were able to put their differences aside in later years, but Doohan was not. Shatner was known to be dismissive of the lesser cast members - and that is putting it kindly. Shatner's own book, "Star Trek Memories," has an epilog devoted to the subject.

I give Doohan and the others kudos for being able to continue working with him and not having it show on the screen... and for still being able to enjoy what they had. Doohan was most appreciative of his experience with Trek, and of his fans.

-Scott

Katherine_K

Second Unit
And as I said, I think people blaming his acting are over reaching. Judgement at Nuremberg is a great example. So are many elements of trek.

But his acting ability has VERY little to do with the way fans feel about him. He has made his own bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks