What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by John Berggren /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-june-29-2012-release/60#post_3948387
Saw this a couple of days ago within an article speculating that he could have been teasing.
I'm sure no matter who he's playing, I'll be checking this one out in IMAX.

If true, THAT would be awesome!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It won't be that character. Bob Orci personally oversees the storylines in the current ongoing comic series to make sure they don't mess with anything they're going to do in the upcoming movies, where [that character] already died in the first story-arc, this past year. Abrams is way more into sharing continuity with spinoff-stuff than previous Trek-administrations.
This is Urban just screwing with people.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes. If true, it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Cumberbach was photographed in a Star Fleet uniform, so it certainly fits better than Khan.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just messing around with fans' curiosity.
Honestly though, I don't understand why film makers feel the need to be so secretive about certain basic story elements such as the characters actors will be playing. This stuff is always officially given away in interviews and trailers weeks before the film comes out. What's the big deal knowing a year out?
But yes, I'm aware of the character already being used in the comics. So I also have my doubts.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Sean Bryan said:
Yes. If true, it will be interesting to see what they do with it. Cumberbach was photographed in a Star Fleet uniform, so it certainly fits better than Khan.
In "Space Seed," Khan himself actually wore a Starfleet redshirt-uniform for a good chunk of the episode:
9f673458_Space_Seed_198.jpeg

If it does turn out to be Khan, and the film is at least a partial remake of that episode, I could see Cumberbatch's donning of a Starfleet uniform as being something of a nod to that original storyline, especially if the Botany Bay gets discovered and that type of clothing is the only thing onhand at that moment, or something.
But yeah, 100% agreed -- the Abrams-cabal's total web of secrecy and disinformation seems almost ludicrous at this point, given that such leaks are usually inevitable.
Maybe, Star Trek XII will just be a series of improv-sketches based on the Star Trek universe. Cumberbatch will get to play Khan, Gary Mitchell, the Gorn, the Borg Queen, the Horta, Sybok, Fake God, Shinzon, a Tribble, and Gene Roddenberry.
(And, by donning a goatee, Mirror Universe-versions of all of those.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep, forgot that he wore the Starfleet uniform in Space Seed. And if they were using Khan, it would be a varriation on Space Seed and not Wrath of Khan, since Khan's motivation in WoK stems from the events in SS.
I hear there will be some footage shown at comic con this weekend. So maybe there will be something more solid known about Cumberbach's role soon. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
If Star Trek 2013 is going to reuse a character then I think secrecy is their best choice. The amount of hate and complaining and "I'm not going to see it." that can build up in a year or more is far greater than 3 or 4 weeks. I think the secrecy tells us they are going to reuse a character rather than create something new out of whole cloth.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Orci said Cumberbach is not playing Gary Mitchell.
But he also said Cumberbach IS playing a character from Trek cannon.
Maybe it will be a new take a Space Seed.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Chuck,
That's a good point. BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing Charles Evans as the villain in the next film, although the character mentioned in the spoiler above is also very intriguing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy in the new movies, joked July 9 that Cumberbatch would be playing Mitchell. Many journalists took Urban’s comment seriously.
"He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary,” Urban jested when asked about Cumberbatch's Trek character during a "Dredd" promotion.
“I would say that I never lie,” Orci told TrekMovie July 14 when asked about the radio interview he gave me, “while Karl tests all those hypo spray props on himself.”
ACTORS PLAYING CANON CHARACERS:
Alice Eve
Benedict Cumberbatch
ACTORS PLAYING NEW CHARACTERS:
Noel Clarke
Nanzine Contractor
Peter Weller
Joseph Gatt
So Alice Eve... Carol Marcus maybe? Maybe we'll actually see the Kirk and Marcus romance?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Interesting title.
I wonder if it is a reference to an area of space that is void of stars perhaps?
Mark me down as one who was very impressed with the first film. They had to sell a new set of actors playing an iconic set of characters.
And they did.
The different stylistic choices ie the look of the bridge, the brewery engine room, the size of the Enterprise etc are window dressing issues that are aesthetic choices only. In the end it is the characters that matter and I was very happy with the results on that front.
The first movie was a coming together affair so I can even forgive the two dimensional antagonist.
That being said, my expectations for the next movie are higher. They have put the pieces together now I want to see them put under the appropriate stress tests with a layered approach in terms of story and characters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While I have faith in the creative team that made the first movie, I have to ask: Does everything have to be darker these days?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm hoping that choice of title is Abrams Code for less lens flare.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/296811/star-trek-sequel-scheduled-for-may-17-2013-release/90#post_3972544
I can get behind that.

Amen brutha.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Could Cumberbatch be playing the Warren Stevens role from 'By Any Other Name,' - Rojan?
The title, beyond character journeys, could be a reference to intergalactic travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks