What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Movies based on "Monopoly" and "Candyland" are in the planning stages. Ridley Scott is still attached to helm the "Monopoly" flick if memory serves.

Let's also not forget that Universal's big budget adaptation of "Battleship" hits theaters next summer.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
From that release list, December looks pretty open for at least two more big releases if Man of Steel isn't released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's a couple of JJ Abrams quotes from Trekmovie.com which are quoted from other sources:

Another comment on the Star Trek sequel has emerged from JJ Abrams Super 8 publicity tour, this time coming from HitFix where Abrams talks up the story for the next Star Trek, and again keeps the questions of the release date and his directing open:

We are still working on story. Some super cool stuff — but I won’t be able to make a decision on directing until we have our script and I know what I’m being asked to direct. As for release date, that is not a concern of mine. Perhaps we could still make the date the studio wants. But we are focusing on making a great movie: the guys I’m collaborating with are the best and we all want the same thing

And in speaking to CNN, Abrams noted that if delayed the sequel will be worth the wait:

I’m not so sure, but I know that we’re trying. We’re working on the script and story and doing everything we can to make it well. I would just so much rather make a movie that’s worth people’s time than make a movie that’s on time…I’m not inclined to push it. I’m inclined to make a movie that’s good and if it works out in that timetable then we’ll all be thrilled. If it doesn’t, when the movie comes out it’ll be worth the wait.

And another comment:

Speaking to Aint It Cool about Super 8, JJ Abrams spoke about the future of Star Trek beyond the currently planned sequel

AICN: One last question: what’s the status of the next STAR TREK film, and how many more do you think are possible with this cast?
Abrams: Um, I have no idea. Hopefully one more, at least.

AICN: Is that all you’ve planned so far? Is that as far as you can see?
Abrams: We’re not writing… which I know a lot of people have done, [filming] two sequels in a row or planning a trilogy. We’ve of course talked about a lot of different things, but in terms of specific planning for a film, there’s only one movie on the horizon that we’re talking about.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
All I ask is that they have at least a completed second draft scripte done before prinicple photography starts. No rush job script to meet a deadling and please don't dare start filming without a script a la Transformers 2. I just hope they take there time to make a good movie to match the first one, even if that means pushing it back to summer 2013.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Agreed. I'd wait several years in order to have a good-to-excellent film, rather than having a sub-par film which could be rushed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting video out with Nic Meyer at a Star Trek 2 screening this past Friday. Orci and Kurtzman were there too.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/11/watch-nicholas-meyer-talks-about-his-gene-roddenberry-regret/

He was interviewed and expressed some regrets for how he dealt with Gene Roddenberry's objections to the script's prejudiced attitudes of our hero's towards the Klingons.

Additionally, a friend mentioned how he was very disappointed with Super 8. And while not conclusive, the film may not be able to hold an audience inspite of it being number 1 so far. I've not seen it, I was curious about it.

I only mention these 2 things because; 1. If Super 8 isn't as big a success as Paramount hopes, would that alter Paramount's plans for Star Trek and having Abrams direct it? And 2, would Nicolas Meyer be up for another directing gig on Star Trek?

After the Meyer interview, Orci, Kurtzm and and Lindelof spoke. They spoke quite a bit and reponded to certain issues we have been dicussing about Spock and Kirk:

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/11/star-trek-sequel-writers-give-script-update-promise-no-remake-talk-vulcan-arcs-more/

Here are the quotes Trekmovie posted

Lindelof: As of right now there is kind of a 75 or 80 page half script/half…I don’t know what it is…

Orci: It is in a state of quantum flux

The core creative team behind the 2009 Star Trek movie are Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, JJ Abrams and Bryan Burke. Now that Super 8 has come out, it’s time to get the band back together for the sequel:

Lindelof: our attitude for the sequel in order for it to be successful is that we sort of have to form that [group of all of us together] again. So we were kind of waiting and now the moment is upon us where JJ has done Super 8.

Orci: JJ and Bryan’s little side-project is over and now we can have their attention.

On sequel time setting – "some adventures" have happened

They also talked about the direction they want to go with the character arcs, talking about how there is some time between the films:

Orci: The first one was about, "Spock is pretty emotional." Well, he is younger And "Kirk, he is not a bookworm with legs who really understands the chain of command." Well he is not quite there yet. So you can get closer to what you know. It is all about earning what you know and learning that when we see them now they have been through a couple of adventures, but they don’t know each other either. There is still discovery, but there is also more familiarity. So, like the first one, it will feel like Trek, but it will also chart new ground.

On fallout "ripple effect" of the destruction of Vulcan

While talking about the parallels between modern terrorism and Nero in Star Trek 2009, Damon Lindelof appeared to imply that the impact of the destruction of Vulcan will carry into the sequel :

Lindelof: We often referred to the destruction of Vulcan as the 9/11 moment of [Star Trek 2009]. There had to be an event that was so significant that it allows you to change the Trek universe, not just for the purposes of the first movie, but moving forward. The idea of saying, if you did something that huge, what would be the effect of that rippling outwards?

On original vs. classic storylines – "No remake"

Lindelof also talked about how their approach is not to just do a remake:

Lindelof: We love Trek too, but we want to also blaze our own trail here. The idea of just kind of playing cover songs and classics again – we feel like there has to be a little of that, but there has to be a lot of original music in the set list to be worthy of your time and attention. You don’t want to see a remake, you want to see a new movie.

Sorry for the goofy quote marks in the text, not sure why it's doing that.

On Star Trek (2009) time travel, canon and more:

Lindelof talked about their early decision to use time-travel to allow them to make Star Trekboth an origin story and a sequel to all that came before. Explaining:

Lindelof: That was the only way we could make it work, because we said, we can’t be bound by the incredible canon of Trek, because the Chekov knowing Khan thing [continuity error from Star Trek II] would have just been the tip of the iceberg. It would also hamstring us in a way because if you watch the movie you would know that no one could die and nothing bad could happen to anybody, because they have to grow up and go on the adventures we saw them have. And we also didn’t want to replay those adventures, because everybody knows the outcomes.

Orci: We also didn’t want to erase what came before, so that is why we decided to sort of update time-travel. It is not the rules of Back to the Future. It is the rules of more modern theories, of creating an alternate universe. It explains why some of the characters do what they do. Spock doesn’t try to fix the timeline because there is no such thing as fixing the timeline, they are just in a new universe that is going on its own. That had been done is some of the previous Star Trek series, but not in the movies.

Lindelof: In the case of the physics and the science and the science fiction, we had a rule that we kept coming back to, which was "our wives need to understand this movie."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
I only mention these 2 things because; 1. If Super 8 isn't as big a success as Paramount hopes, would that alter Paramount's plans for Star Trek and having Abrams direct it?
Super 8 is doing more than well enough that Paramount won't want to drop Abrams from Star Trek 2. According to Box Office Mojo, Super 8 cost $50 million (not counting marketing, etc.) and it's made $37 million already so Paramount will do fine with Super 8.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Onto another possible bit of news, trekmovie reports that William Shatner says he will not be appearing in the new Star Trek film.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/06/18/william-shatner-im-not-in-star-trek-sequel/

This is a rather unusual statement for him. He's either got inside info, or it's a ploy to get interest in him to be in the film, or he's decided to hang it up and retire from the role.

Of course, like Sean Connery who doesn't actually have any ownership of the character, he's an actor who played James Bond and decided to no longer portray Bond. Shatner is a little different in that he originated the role on TV and owned the character for 3 years on TV and 7 films. He is Kirk and I think in the public's eyes and my generation, he'll always be Kirk. But perhaps he decided to let it go and move on. That's my guess. The character did die in Generations.

This is also odd in that the script is not done yet. Though they seem to know what the story is about. And JJ Abrams has discussed the problem of how to get his character into the last film in a way that made sense and fit in the story and was worthy of everyone's time.

My hope is someday the wrongs of Generations can be corrected and Kirk lives on.

So what do you guys think, would you like to see Shatner in the film?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
So what do you guys think, would you like to see Shatner in the film?
No. I don't want to see Shatner Kirk relegated to minor role, almost useless role. I would rather see him and whoever else from the original cast wants to do it, in their own movie in their own time. Sulu and possibly Chekov would also be retired captains so they could have a three captain, three ship movie saving the universe. Of course now that we have Star Trek reboot they would never greenlight such a project but it sure would be nice.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree that Shatner, or anyone from TOS shouldn't be in the film just to be in it. I think everyone on the production team agrees there has to be a really good reason and that the inclusion could help propel the plot along.

I thought the idea they had for a Shatner appearance in the 2009 film could have worked. Essentially a voice over at the end of the film.

But this is the new Star Trek, not my Star Trek. So Shatner or Nimoy didn't need to be in the 2009 film. I guess we'll see what happens.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I say no as well.

We've had the "orgin" story for the new actors in the roles and had Nimoy to "bridge the gap" so to speak. No forced cameos from other Star Trek shows are need (no Kahn also IMO); lets let these new guys carry the film(s) on their own new adventures.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's official, Star Trek sequel delayed with no release date announced yet. GI Joe sequel to take it's place.
It's looking more like it won't happen, but I'm being cynical. The writers are super spread out with so many projects, and JJ Abrams isn't bowing to pressure to move ahead. I keep hearing one of Rex Buchmann's posts, in reference to the writers.
So maybe 2013, I may not care by then. :)
http://trekmovie.com/2011/07/28/paramount-officially-moves-gi-joe-2-into-star-trek-sequel-summer-2012-spot-no-new-trek-date-yet/

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It will definitely happen - Paramount has exercised the options on the cast, which means money is now involved. The question is whether they want it for the holiday season in 2012 or the summer of 2013.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Nelson Au said:
It's official, Star Trek sequel delayed with no release date announced yet. GI Joe sequel to take it's place.
It's looking more like it won't happen, but I'm being cynical. The writers are super spread out with so many projects, and JJ Abrams isn't bowing to pressure to move ahead. I keep hearing one of Rex Buchmann's posts, in reference to the writers.
So maybe 2013, I may not care by then. :)
http://trekmovie.com/2011/07/28/paramount-officially-moves-gi-joe-2-into-star-trek-sequel-summer-2012-spot-no-new-trek-date-yet/
According to Lindelof, Abrams just got back from vacation and has basically locked himself in a room with the other three writers in order to get the script finished. Looks like he's probably gonna be directing, too, given the level of intensity I'm getting from all this:
http://collider.com/damon-lindelof-star-wars-prometheus-star-trek-sequel-comic-con/105191/
There was a 90-page "scriptment" for Star Trek XII, but it wasn't necessarily 100% where Abrams wanted it to be, so now that Super 8's in the can, all they're focusing on is getting the screenplay polished to within an inch of its life, and working with Scott Chambliss and ILM on designing the sets and VFX to come. The opening sequence they're hinting at for the film sounds awesome.
Also (and I don't have the link right at hand), Orci just hinted that the lead villain might be female.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Chuck Anstey wrote (post #51):
I don't want to see Shatner Kirk relegated to minor role, almost useless role. I would rather see him and whoever else from the original cast wants to do it, in their own movie in their own time. Sulu and possibly Chekov would also be retired captains so they could have a three captain, three ship movie saving the universe. Of course now that we have Star Trek reboot they would never greenlight such a project but it sure would be nice.
Yes, I can see it now: all three captains rolling onto their respective bridges in their automated wheelchair-rockers. Ooops, Chekoff forgets his teeth. That'd be "the bomb"!
Nelson Au wrote (post #54):
{Ahem}, that'd be who, again?
joshEH wrote (post #56):
. . . Abrams just got back from vacation and has basically locked himself in a room with the other three writers in order to get the script finished.
. . . .
Also . . ., Orci just hinted that the lead villain might be female.
Oh,--{yawn!!!}---and I bet she'll be trying to avenge her dead lover, come hell or high water: Star Trek XII: The Wrath of Connie.
And for this they get paid millions?!?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New pics from the set -- Quinto, Saldana, and Cumberbatch:
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-sequel-set-photos-benedict-cumberbatch-sandy-156299
Spock vs. Sherlock? It's like some slashfic-writer's dream come true.
Interesting that Cumberbatch appears to be (A) human, and (B) part of Starfleet.
I have a feeling Cumberbatch is going to own this film. Could well be the best Trek villain since Ricardo Montalban. The guy has incredible acting chops and presence.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, being a big TOS fan, I'm not too excited about the new film. I really want to be. The 2009 film turned me off to the idea of this alternate universe.
The best parts of that first film was Karl Urban and Bruce Greenwood as Pike.
I'll probably try to see it opening day though.
I don't know who this actor is playing the villain.
One site is guessing he's Gary Mitchell! :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Nelson Au said:
I don't know who this actor is playing the villain.
One site is guessing he's Gary Mitchell! :)
Get thee to thy local PBS station, tune into Sherlock, and correct that shit, stat. ;)
Cumberbatch is also playing the role of Smaug in The Hobbit films (alongside his Sherlock co-star, Martin Freeman.)
Gary Mitchell would be among my top picks for the character too, except that the ongoing, Orci/Kurtzman-supervised Star Trek comic book series has already adapted "Where No Man Has Gone Before" into the new continuity, and the writers have special access to the current ST XII shooting drafts.
The comics are layering in hints and foreshadowings to the events and characters of the next movie as they progress, so we'll likely be getting some indicator as to Cumberbatch's character's role in the film in the coming months (if not sooner).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks