What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Well, Chris to be fair I'm an old (not that old, 48) trek fan who actually enjoyed the 2009 version, what I am basing my opinion on so far from what I have read is that it just smacks of lazy writing. If I go by what you are saying then why not just have a whole new plot with a new crew, new ship and brand new adventures...why grab on to what was already done and basically trash it?

I would love to see a new Trek where I don't know the characters and I get to know them as I go on. What they are doing now is basically a rip off and a bad one at that. The first movie had it's annoying things but basically I thought it got off to the right start but timeline changes don't answer to all that was done in this second one, not by a long shot. Abrams just doesn't give a crap because he is a Star Wars fan..they picked the wrong guy for this mission.

On a side note... I like Pine as Kirk....remember this is young Kirk we are seeing..the original series he was a bit older and wiser and more experienced. I think his voice is fine.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Van594 said:
why grab on to what was already done and basically trash it?
We'll just have to agree to disagree, I just don't see it as them trashing anything but, whatever. Space Seed and Wrath of Khan are still here to enjoy no matter what happens in this movie.

I plan to go nuts and enjoy this new Star Trek movie... and it is Star Trek, no matter what some fans say.

I'll tell you what, I can't wait to watch the internet explode when the new Star Wars movies start coming out. Fans are going to go through the roof when a lightsaber is the wrong shade of green or Han Solo has one to many buttons on his shirt. It's going to be fun!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been on top of the news reports on Star Trek Into Darkness. Though I did see the most current trailer and that new image of that massive ship against the Enterprise.
I found a very high resolution image of it. And then I found a link to it on Trekmovie. I know not everyone cares about design and design choices. It's what I do for a living. So I can't help but look at those things. And this new design to me looks like something from a Michael Bay Transformers movie! It's not very graceful and clunky. Probably the intent given its a dreadnought ship that is out for mass destruction. Also probably because the movie is partly aiming at the similar audience. I love this kind of eye candy! Though the design feels a little out of place.
In looking at the latest trailer frame by frame, you can see parts of it in the action sequences, but I won't say more if you are avoiding spoilers as I am.
Here's a link if anyone wants to see it. http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/23/exclusive-hi-res-image-of-uss-vengeance-from-star-trek-into-darkness/

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Chris Will said:
Well, thanks to the premiere last night, there are plenty of spoilers out there for those who want them. I'm one of those, could careless about going in spoiler free.

Do not read if you want to remain spoiler free:

Harrison is just an alias, his real name is Khan.

That is all I'll re-post here, if you want to know more it is not hard to find.
Ugh. I'm so, so, so weary of the retreads/reboots/reimaginings/remakes I could just puke.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm going into this with very low expectations (and spoiler free). The only reason I am going is my department (we're developers) is going to take the afternoon off to go see it otherwise, I don't know if I would go.

Now Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 I am more excited about...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
I'll tell you what, I can't wait to watch the internet explode when the new Star Wars movies start coming out. Fans are going to go through the roof when a lightsaber is the wrong shade of green or Han Solo has one to many buttons on his shirt. It's going to be fun!
Attempting to trivialize significant continuity and character changes by equating them with shirt buttons doesn't work.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
You're right, I'll never understand why these trivial character and continuity changes matter so much to people and prevent them from enjoying, what appears to be, a very good and fun movie (based on the first few reviews).

I'll shut-up now. It's obvious that I just don't agree with some of the other hardcore Trek fans' criticism of the changes made in these new movies.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
You're right, I'll never understand why these trivial character and continuity changes matter so much to people
What's trivial to you isn't trivial to others. You indeed don't understand that. Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Home Theater Forum mobile app

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Look, I just wish all Trek fans would give this movie a fair shot and not dismiss it because things aren't unfolding in the exact same way they did in 1966. They've created a new Trek universe where they can tell stories without being bound to the continuity that came before and I think that is a good thing.For all I know, the movie sucks but, based on the few reviews and spoilers, I think it sounds really good. Unfortunately, some fans are writing it off because things are different without even giving it a chance (I'm basing this mostly on what I'm seeing on other Trek forums).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hang in on the thread Chris. I see your point and it is well taken. And I am a hardcore fan of the original. It took me some time but my head has switched over to the idea that this simply isn't my era of Star Trek anymore. This is a new Star Trek for a new generation. We can either enjoy it for what it is, or simply not.

I have been a fan a long long time. I only see Shatner and Nimoy and Kelley and the others as the real Star Trek crew. But I can now be open minded and tolerate fresh new ideas.

We shall see, if the movie is bad, its bad. If its average mindless action, which is what I am guessing based on the trailer, then that is what it is. If its good, great.

(I still don't like Pine's voice! :) )

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
Look, I just wish all Trek fans would give this movie a fair shot and not dismiss it because things aren't unfolding in the exact same way they did in 1966.
Who are you to tell other people what they're 'supposed' to care about? I gave the 2009 movie a 'fair shot'. I didn't like it, and it's rather obvious that this movie is going to have more of the same things I didn't like. That won't change regardless of your 'wishes'. Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Home Theater Forum mobile app

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Nelson Au said:
Hang in on the thread Chris. I see your point and it is well taken. And I am a hardcore fan of the original. It took me some time but my head has switched over to the idea that this simply isn't my era of Star Trek anymore. This is a new Star Trek for a new generation. We can either enjoy it for what it is, or simply not.

I have been a fan a long long time. I only see Shatner and Nimoy and Kelley and the others as the real Star Trek crew. But I can now be open minded and tolerate fresh new ideas.

We shall see, if the movie is bad, its bad. If its average mindless action, which is what I am guessing based on the trailer, then that is what it is. If its good, great.

(I still don't like Pine's voice! :) )

This is the more reasonable, open-minded approach in my humble opinion. As a life-long fan of all things Star Trek, the prime universe has some great stories and plenty more to explore, but the universe we are exploring is this alternate timeline. It has succeeded in broadening the appeal to a much larger audience which comes at a price but one that I feel was worth paying where Star Trek had found itself a few years ago.

I am very excited for the new film hoping that as this new iteration of Trek progresses, enough capital is earned to tell evermore exploration stories, or at least give rise to a new TV series where such stories have greater room to breath.

I've loved all the movies (even The Final Frontier and Nemesis because there is always something I can find that appeals to me even when the big screen adventures weren't at their best), and I am hoping that love continues with Into Darkness.

Live Long...and all that :)

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The thing is that the argument that this opens up things to new viewers and new adventures doesn't really make sense. Why not just have a whole new crew with new adventures? It's a retread any way you look at it...don't any of you want to see Trek with new characters? I'm a huge fan but I've been there and done that.

Some of you who know what happens act like it's some briliant writing or something when all they did(Don't read if you don't want to know if true)
Take the old Khan plot and reverse the Kirk and Spock ending and then write in some lazy magic blood cure...lame! lazy lazy writing. If you are easily pleased you might enjoy that but I would rather just have brand new adventures and not more retreads which is what this is.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Van594 said:
The thing is that the argument that this opens up things to new viewers and new adventures doesn't really make sense. Why not just have a whole new crew with new adventures? It's a retread any way you look at it...don't any of you want to see Trek with new characters? I'm a huge fan but I've been there and done that.
Given the direction they've taken and how they wanted to change things, that would have been the best alternative.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Van594 said:

Some of you who know what happens act like it's some briliant writing or something when all they did(Don't read if you don't want to know if true)
Take the old Khan plot and reverse the Kirk and Spock ending and then write in some lazy magic blood cure...lame! lazy lazy writing. If you are easily pleased you might enjoy that but I would rather just have brand new adventures and not more retreads which is what this is.
I totally agree. Just make these different characters and stories, instead of all this "we'll change the old characters and stories into whatever we damn well please" nonsense.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I wasn't going to say anything more till the film opens. But last night I was thinking, since I have no idea what the film is about except from the trailers, I started to speculate again. it does sort of feel like Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Harrison. And Kirk lets his ship get ambushed and they might be going to hide somewhere, under water instead of the Mutara Nebula to repair the ship and regroup and then come back and outsmart Harrison. So perhaps they are making Kirk face a real Kobayashi Maru scenario and someone dies. Must be Carol Markus.

I think that's it, I'll wait till the film opens! :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Gary Seven said:
Given the direction they've taken and how they wanted to change things, that would have been the best alternative.
Movies are a business, and ultimately they need to make money. Star Trek at the theater was a sinking ship before 2009, peaking with First Contact wit a substantial fall-off with Insurrection before Nemesis flat-out bombed. Only Voyage Home way back in 1986 crossed the $100 million mark at the box office. And the franchise's records with new ships and new crews is spotty, at best. Next Generation did extremely well, but Deep Space 9 never found its audience until DVD and Voyager was weak. Enterprise wasn't exactly loved either.This is not a franchise studio execs had much faith in, and with good reason. New ship new crew without any recognizable characters would probably never have been green-lighted in the first place, the ROI just wouldn't have been there.

So I can definitely appreciate the choice they made. Kirk, Spock, and co. are iconic. Next Generation was loved by many (myself included), but the original crew on the original Enterprise IS Star Trek in the hearts and minds of the mass audience. The current choice allows them to shed the continuity problems of 28 seasons, 10 movies, and countless books (and yes, I realize the books aren't officially canon) filled with minutiae that's far too easy to stumble upon. Instead all of that still exists without anything being discarded. They can go back and set more books or even another TV series in the Prime Universe without a single issue arising, but the movies are now freed to do whatever they want without worrying about contradicting an episode of TOS.

So yeah I have little doubt that going back to the original characters was the only way we'd get a new Star Trek movie at all. At least the writers had the courtesy of leaving the original continuity completely intact and setting this in a new universe instead of simply throwing it out entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks