What's new

Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013 Release (1 Viewer)

lookyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
So did anyone watch the Star trek ad for Superbowl .... LOL I was close ( prior post ) and mr Nelson it's not like you don't see the commercials like politically motivated ad campaigns ... but if i really did wreck it for you my apologies ....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you mean Steve. Nothing ruined. I downloaded the Super Bowl ad. Watched it a few times. I don't think I'm spoiling anything since its been aired. Looks like the Enterprise took quite a beating. Rather reminiscent of the Constellation's damage from the Doomsday Machine. I wonder if that means its totalled and they can build a better looking ship next time. :)

lookyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Well the Doomsday machine claimed Deckers life and the consitution class vessel that took it on If I remember right Enterprise lived to fight another day ... now Enterprise against Admiral Kirk seemed to be a different story lol V'ger big bad and terrible doesn't even hurt it ... Decker still goes to curb lol Constitution gets butt kicked in two not impressed enough with that next movie we push it into atmosphere lol ... I actually liked the New Enterprise layout and the interior ( bridge ) Rocks .... The series " Enterprise " kept trying to make like they were a experimental ship however the made original series look like the experimental ... this one steps away from both and it just looked like the best of both worlds fucntional and sleek .... missingthe analog clocks lol ...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought I'd toss in a thought I have been pondering for some time about the mysterious villain in this movie. Perhaps it's been already discussed. So many people are insisting this Harrison guy is really Khan. So many people want him to be Khan. And a large group certainly do not want him to be Khan. Khan would be going back to the well once again. Abrams and others have said he is not Khan. So here's who I think he might be......... Khan Jr. Son of Khan and perhaps one of the other women in his gang before they left Earth. Or he is Harrison and he's one of the other sleepers on the Botany Bay who did survive because Khan's chamber failed and he died. This might be more plausible. Yet, it is not clear why he seems pissed at Kirk. The trailers may be misdirecting he's mad at Kirk, its not clear its personal this time. Harrison is just mad at Earth it seems. Alas, once again, a villain attacks our heroes and Earth.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I know, it's Ben Finney. Apparently in this universe he hatched his scheme to screw Kirk and Starfleet a lot sooner after he was put on report.

lookyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
well odds are the villain is mad at earth and Kirk got in his way which gains the bad guys ire lol ...

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Woo Hoo! Just reserved my seat for an 8PM showing of Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D on May 15th! I'm stoked!!!!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
There's a new trailer out. I haven't seen it yet but will check it out later. Heard its more of another "teaser" though.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ok, here's the new trailer Looks like they aren't going to give us much in the way of a "here's the entire story of the movie" trailer, which I think is a good thing. The trailer itself looks excitting. Just about 2 months away! Edit: I've read of this being a "kids teaser" in that it was put together to be attached to Oz The great and Powerful, and I think that fits with the tone of this teaser.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
Woo Hoo! Just reserved my seat for an 8PM showing of Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D on May 15th! I'm stoked!!!!
Alright, maybe I shouldn't wait any more to get our tickets...and the tix for Best of Both Worlds...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In the thread, Star Trek movies on Blu ray, it was mentioned that a third film could be out by 2016 and hopefully new blu rays will be out too. In looking up an article about how a third film would likely be made to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, (Hard to beleive its 50 years!) One site talked about possible directors to helm it. I wasn't knowledgable about the names thrown about by the author of the article, which I cannot find now. One guy was the guy who did Source Code. And another guy who did Moon. Maybe it was the same guy who did both. :) And the guy who directed Looper was mentioned too. I haven't seen either. What worries me more is that the film franchise will be even further lost in its way. I love fun eye candy! But I want some good deeper atributes so I won't leave the theater and forget it by the time I get in the car. The kinds of stories that we always talk about in the original series. Perhaps those days of that kind of entertainment is over. Perhaps no one has that ability to craft that kind of story. Probably no one controlling the money will allow that kind of Star Trek movie to ever happen. Its just mindless action. (And of course, with a TV series, you can do deeper message stories one week, but films like these I realize has to be an event. ) Of course I realize this isn't Star Trek for my generation, but for the new audience. If Into Darkerness is a allusion to 9/11, I'm doubtful the message will be there and buried in all the destruction. Another name mentioned, but not likely to be considered is Jonathan Frakes. At least he knows Star Trek. And I did see that newest trailer. It does look very exciting. I'm sure I will enjoy seeing it! And I hope its good ad does well. And I hope it's got a decent story that's heavier then the eyecandy films like The Avengers. Its a new generation running the show now. As Captain Jelico said, "The Enterprise is mine now."

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Going JUST by what I thought of Trek '09, I can't say I'm all too excited for the new one. I agree with those who want "deeper atributes". Thinking about it more, I'd like something perhaps more along the lines of Prometheus (ovbviously less R-rated, though). I love that feeling of being REALLY out there in deep space, isolated from known society and coming across strange new things. I realise this isn't what the masses want, and therefore probably won't happen with any new Trek movies. Just putting in my two cents. Trek '09 was entertaining enough just as a summer action flick, and I'll go into the new one with an open mind in that regard.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Bryan Singer is a huge Star Trek fan and did have a cameo in Nemesis. His name is being mentioned as a possible successor to JJ Abrams.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Jose Martinez said:
Bryan Singer is a huge Star Trek fan and did have a cameo in Nemesis. His name is being mentioned as a possible successor to JJ Abrams.
Isn't he still trying to get his take on Battlestar Galactica off the ground?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Singer would also be a known quantity, considering he is a fan, had the aforementioned cameo in Nemesis and has worked with at least one Trek alum, Patrick Stewart. On top of all that, Fox trusts him to come back to the X-Men franchise after being away for a few films. He was able to wrangle all the other players, plus the cast from First Class, into the same film. Results are TBD, but so far so good. Just because he's trying to get another project off the ground doesn't mean he won't be able to take this one on if Paramount asks him to do so. Hardcore fans may have a problem with Singer for one reason or another. Personally, I don't. He'd be a good choice if JJ can't come back because of Star Wars. But then, I can see someone like Matthew Vaughn coming on board.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
I sure hope he never gets behind the camera for a Star Trek film.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm less excited about this movie with each new trailer. The domestic terrorism angle is old and cliched. I was really hoping for a new Trek film that focused on big ideas out among the stars instead of something like what we see here, which comes across to me like "Sherlock Holmes in the 23rd Century" blowing stuff up.

However, I'll have to admit that the new Carol Marcus looks damned good in lingerie.. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
dpippel said:
I'm less excited about this movie with each new trailer. The domestic terrorism angle is old and cliched. I was really hoping for a new Trek film that focused on big ideas out among the stars instead of something like what we see here, which comes across to me like "Sherlock Holmes in the 23rd Century" blowing stuff up.
Agreed. Very tired of seeing cities destroyed, the Enterprise crashing, etc. I'm even more tired of the personal angle that's applied to every film. Can't Kirk (or James Bond for that matter) function without some very intense personal motivation anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks