What's new

Star Trek: Original Series Season One - 11/20/07 MSRP $217.99 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Hate to say it, but this format continues to do everything it can to kill itself off.
$200 srp? I think Star trek fans will easily make do with the eps already on their tivos until a much cheaper Bd version is released in 6 months...and then watch all those ST nerds migrate to high def.

You know, I really think that any format that has studios this foolish and greedy supporting it, needs to fail. Violently.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well, $200 is cheaper than I thought it would be. It is Trek after all so they expect us to pay through the nose.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is only 11.00 dollars more than the SD complete series release and breaks down to only 66.00 per season. I do not see that as out of line pricing, not when one season on programs like Lost will be retailing for 125.00. As I do the own the original, I will pick this one up.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if this is the whole series, I'll retract my criticism and agree its not a bad price.
I was under the assumption
1) that the cgi redos were still unfinished
2) that the whole series would take considerably more than 10 discs.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Is this only Season 1 or the complete series (all 3) ? That quote is rather unclear on what this is.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, I think it's only season 1. If it were season 1-3, then this price would be fine.
I must say, I didn't expect this set to be over $150.00. I really think charging $200.00 for one season is going to be a hard sell. I mean this set has TWICE the msrp of Heroes!

I really thought a combo only reason for this set would give HD-DVD a much needed sales boost with one sku --but now I'm not so sure.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

The specs sound awesome. True HD for each episode & IME! Nonetheless, Paramount must reconsider the price of this set. Hell, consumers don't want to spend this for the HD players themselves, so they certainly don't want to spend this amount for one season of Trek.

How many copies does Paramount seriously expect to move at this price?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I agree. We may see the MSRP change on this one before it gets to the release date.

Doug

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
My main motivation for being an early adopter in SD was the thought of ST TOS. This is a definte no-buy for me....this price is a deal breaker and for the record...I have HD and will have BD within the next 2/3 weeks, so I dont care what format this shows up in. No chance of a sale here

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
even though by all accounts Blu-ray is more expensive to produce, I'm betting when this set shows up on Bd (in 6 months to a year), it will have a price tag about $50-70 less.

I had hoped to continue to support this format as much as possible, but I don't support a license to gouge, which is basically all the combo capability is being used for.
A shame, as used properly it could have seriously propelled this format to parity with it's far more advantaged competition.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Wow. There is so much coming out, but if this is coming to BD later, and I don't have to pay the "Combo Tax" I'll wait.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
And still no blooper reel.

If they cut the SD side out and drop the price, I'll get it. If not, I'll wait for the cheaper BR version.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
No sale for the same reasons as everyone else. $200 for ONE season of a 40 year old TV show? When I can watch the episodes (albeit edited) for free on TV and I have the uncut originals on regular DVD? Yeah, Paramount has more than one screw loose. I'd love to see the people who are going to shell out that amount of money for this set..combo discs to boot.

Jim-J

Agent
I'll wait for the eventual double-dip when they include the original cuts in HD. Till then I can survive with the SD-set. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Bill Gates guys can buy this. I know being a combo release makes it more expensive, but still! I will get the regular new DVDs, or better the BD when it comes out. I have enough to buy this winter anyway.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I knew the reaction would be like this!:laugh:

I am looking forward to it. I think the extras sound really good, especially Billy Blackburn's home movies footage. And you get the HD version of TOS uncut.

Though now I have to decide which format to buy into, buy HD-DVD now or wait for the BD release a few months down the line. I am a little surprised Paramount didn't move the BD release date up to coincide with the HD release.

As for cost, I think it falls in line to what I was expecting, a bit on the high side. Perhaps some retailers will discount it on week of release. Look at it this way, I paid about $400 for the first season of TOS on laserdisc when it was 2 eps per disc.

PS- Forgot to mention, I don't see any mention of the original untouched optical effects versions of these episodes available as part of this set. That could upset some. But I can see that the reason for this set is that it is the HD version in every respect. But it would have been cool to see.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Nelson, the picture-in-picture commentaries may be the reason Blu-Ray is delayed, since I think that falls under IME, which requires BDJava. For the same reason Batman Begins and The Matrix Trilogy are on HD-DVD but not Blu-Ray is, I believe, the same for Star Trek: TOS. That could also explain why there isn't even a date set for the Blu-Ray release yet.

The $199 price tag has to be a result of the combo discs, which to my knowledge, nobody even wants. I believe the Blu-Ray versions will be cheaper. My only real disappointment is the fact that it doesn't seem like ALL the bonus features from the DVD Season Sets have been ported over. With 10 discs to work with, that's a bit of a shame. It would be nice to everything in this one set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks