What's new

Star Trek Orig Series Season Box Sets Grrr (1 Viewer)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
I heard a very nasty rumor that Paramount is doing Season Box Sets of "Star Trek The Original Series" I do recall in an early thread on the subject Martin Blythe indicating that TOS original series Box Sets would be unlikely because this would anger the many fans who bought all 40 original volumes (in Canada $26.00 a piece) like me. What's up with that??

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Times change, and Paramount would be stupid to not take the opportunity to make money on something because they're afraid it would upset some people whose money they already have.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I bought half the Original Series discs (and was going to get them all) but stopped when I heard about this. They are going to be released this year. I think it is great!! Paramount released these before Season sets were the big thing. I applaud them for putting this entire series out on DVD and I applaud them for now making it available in season sets for those who do not have them. They are not screwing those who already bought them. Just because I purchased the single discs does not make me upset they are releasing season sets. More people will buy these sets and have a great opportunity to enjoy a great series at a great price. :)

Cheers to Paramount (at least IMHO). :emoji_thumbsup:

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
The confirmationj came from an ad for DS9 DVDs in some magazine...forget which one...down in the corner it said to watch for Voyager and TOS season sets coming throughout 2004.

I can't wait!!!:)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

In addition, an insert in the first Voyager package states that TOS season sets will come in the fall and winter of 2004. It's as confirmed as confirmed can be!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My hope, and I've said this before, is that if there are extras, please Paramount, make it on a separate disc, one per season, that we can buy either via a special order or through normal retail outlets for us who bought the 40 discs already. Thanks!

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

I hope that is the case. I don't have any of them (which is kinda shocking because I am a full fledged Trekkie) but for the sake of those who do...it is the least Paramount could do. If there are commentaries included on the new discs (and I have my doubts there will be any) a Comedy Central-esque CD Extra would be nice as well, even at a small charge ($10 for all the commentaries would be fair in my book). I do hvae my doubts we will get commentaries. Spock's Brain is crying for one...LOL;) That would be another in a long line of commentaries crying for a repeated "I'm sorry...so sorry. Really. Sorry. This did suck...really. I admit it. I appologize." :) Kinda like what should have been on Godzilla (1998).
Or Shatner saying "This...is where...I get to...make out...with...a really hot...60's babe. Oh yeah. And here Leonard...has...his brain...........removed!...That's...gotta...hurt. Ouuuuch."

Real Name
Anthony
Get this - in the UK, the last two episodes of TOS - Arena and City On The Edge of Forever (!) - are finally being released. But only as an extra disc included in the Voyager Season One set.

So the poor suckers who've bought all the single discs need to buy that set to complete their collection - they probably won't even get any packaging - and THEN the poor suckers'll discover that TOS is coming in season sets with extras !

You're expecting mercy from these people ?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Anthony that's brutal!

I've waited on the TOS series for this very reason. Season sets with some extras.

The other series don't have the replay value for me to make it worth buying.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I, for one, am very happy that we are finally going to get season box sets of TOS even though I have 10 of the 40 discs from the previous releases. I'll gladly sell them off shortly in preparation for the box sets. I'm also hoping for some nice bonus materials and some nice/creative collectable packaging for these sets. Never really cared much for the other Star Trek series but the original is a must-have for me. Bring 'em on :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
In the latest Star Trek Communicator magazine, it is stated that the announcement (or leak or whatever it was) was prematurely made by an overzealous employee, and that the final decision has not yet been made.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Y'know...I just ordered the last 8 DVDs I needed and now I see this. :angry:

Mike

Frank@N

Screenwriter
As 'bad' a deal as the individual DVDs are/were...the VHS folks got the worst end.

I wandered into a mall video store yesterday and stumbled across the ST VHS section.

Loads of single-episode ST, STTNG, DS9, Voyager VHS tapes for the tune of $15 a piece!

They even had some half-assed 5 episode 'Data collection' for like $90 on VHS.

I buy ST DVD season sets used and my wife still brissles at the cost; imagine if I came home with this now-overpriced junk.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm actually on the fence about the upcoming TOS sets.

I used to watch the show back when it was the only ST available, but now I flip past it without much interest.

With a full set of STTNG seasons, nearly a full set of DS9 seasons, nine movies to choose from (once they redo Generations), and the prospect of adding a few later-season Voyager sets, I'm starting to feel a little full.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Star Trek TOS is one of the series I'd most like to have on DVD. I don't buy the current disks because they are too expensive. If they've already remastered them for DVD (I assume), just repackage them (4 eps. on a disk) in sets. Forget extras. It's all about the program. You learn more from half an hour on the internet than you could from every DVD extra ever released. And I don't need to see 80 year olds reminiscing about their prime of life. Just show me what they're good at. Because it's Star Trek, I'm sure the sets will still be pricey.

Britton

Screenwriter
As I've stated before, they need to go back and redo the video transfer for "The City on the Edge of Forever." The current transfer is very jittery looking and completely unacceptable for one of the great episodes. Everything oscillates rapidly in the vertical direction.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
They really need to re-edit the audio on "The Cage" as well. They're using the composite one from the late '80s that switched back-and-forth from "Menagerie" audio to "Cage" audio. Sure, the former sounds better, but the voice of the Keeper is different.

As I mentioned on the Bewitched thread, there also used to be a brief still that faded up and down after the opening credits that the network used for a "brought to you by" voiceover. I know I'm anal, but I want those left on there as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks