What's new

Star Trek on HD-DVD / Blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Paramount finally dropped the $110+ per season price tag of Enterprise down to $35 or so, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't have something more expensive coming up to replace it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I would have loved to own all the Star Trek movies on Blu-ray this year. The titles that are allready scheduled to come out are keeping me poor enough. ;) Can you imagine how much it will cost to replace all the 007 titles to Blu-ray? :eek: I guess I would not be surprised if the Star Trek movies did not make it to Blu-ray until 2009 or 2010. But when they do come out I have a feeling that the will end up with Dolby True HD tracks.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Please bring them on! I've been waiting for months for something to buy on blu-ray!!!

Doug

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Hey dave...sorry, but your Spiderman is upside down, and you have #2 before it...just saying, cause you knew someone would! :)

I am in for 1/2 of the Trek movies on Blu-ray, by the way. And i am talkin a little of both generations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched a bit of First Contact on my Toshiba HD-DVD player upconverted on a 50" plasma for the first time since I got the player last winter. It looked great! As does the TOS films, though I realize they need remastering, especially TMP.

I am always amazed though how different Data looks from the TV show to the films. The increased resolution of the films really make his goldish make-up stand out while on the TNG season set DVD's, his facial details do not show, like lines and skin texture.

Dave, nice how your DVD's are alphabetically ordered too!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm only interested in picking up certain Trek properties on BD
  • Star Trek (TOS) Seasons 1-3
  • Star Trek the Motionless Picture
  • Star Trek II Wrath of Khan
  • Star Trek III Spock Has Risen From the Grave
  • Star Trek IV Save the Whales
  • Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
  • Star Trek First Contact (the only Next Gen movie I liked enough to own)
I might even be tempted to pick up the awful Star Trek V just because it features the original crew.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I liked one or two of the Next Gen movies. The show I liked from about season 3 on. The first two seasons are almost completely unwatchable. Personally I think DS9 is the best of the TNG era shows.

Doug

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The Digital Bits had a note in the Rumor Mill that Paramount was at work scrubbing the prints and mastering them. I guess it will be for another DVD release and possible Blu Ray?
I'm thinking it will be a 2009 release though. Especially since the JJ Abrahms movie has moved to a May 2009 release.

From the Bits website:

The Digital Bits Rumor Mill - Current Posts

3/5/08

So... interested in a little Star Trek news? We have it today from a couple of angles that Paramount is currently working on another release of the Star Trek feature films, presumably to take advantage of next year's debut (in theaters and eventually on DVD and Blu-ray) of the new J.J. Abrams big screen reboot of the franchise. Our own industry sources have recently hinted that several of the previous feature films are currently receiving brand new high-def transfers and a good digital scrubbing to prepare them for future Blu-ray release. Meanwhile, over on his own website, long-time Trek scribe David Gerrold (also writer of the excellent Martian Child) had this to say yesterday (scroll down to the "And Finally..." part):

"Tim King Productions invited me down to the Paramount lot to be interviewed for a documentary. Paramount is planning to rerelease all ten Star Trek movies on DVD with a bonus disc of extra material, including an interview with folks who were in the crowd scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Most of those folks were Star Trek fans especially recruited for the privilege, so they gathered a few of us together and let us reminisce for awhile in front of a couple cameras. Among the attendees were Bjo Trimble (she and her husband John created the letter campaign that got the original series renewed in 68) and Chris Doohan, Jimmy Doohan's son. It was a fun couple of hours."

David goes on to talk about the group's visit to the set of the new film as well, and he sounds pretty enthusiastic about what he saw. So no word yet on The Original Series in high-def, but it looks as if the films might be finding their way to DVD (again) and Blu-ray soon enough.

Stay tuned...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
In looking at the collectors and special edition 2 disc versions of the films, many need a lot of work. The first few films have very dirty prints.

I hope they do a decent job on them for Blu Ray.

I'm guessing these will be 2009 releases along with the new DVD box set.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
using the term "scrubbing" seems very telling to me. These things may already be too late to save from the wax job Paramount has already given other films (to the delight of many grain haters). OTOH, at least the series looked decent. Almost like it came from a different studio.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The word 'scrubbing' was just an offhand remark by bill Hunt at Digitalbits

I don't see the point in taking a statement about the Trek movies being prepared for HD transfer and using it as an excuse for negativism.

If you've looked at the prints used for the 2 disc sets--they definately need to be scrubbed for dirt and other imperfections having nothing to do with film grain.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Quite true. However, I take Paramount's past actions where HD and DNR is concerned as an excuse for negativism as action speak louder than words.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yes but they have also released films like Sleepy Hollow and Transformers where it seem that no attempt was made to reduce grain with DNR. Both films exhibit quite a bit of natural looking film grain.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

So where does that leave us then, exactly? I never indicated that I was 'certain' they would go overboard with DNR, but I think their uneven handling of grain on their titles up to this point on HDM should qualify as 'concerned' or at least 'wary' of what they may do in the future.

Truth be told, New Line is (was) far more guilty than Paramount (from a consistency standpoint) on the DNR issue. However, I think some people like to paint all 'negatism' here with the broad brush of 'non-constructive bitching'. I think my 'bitching' here on this forum and others like it at least has a chance to be seen by someone in a position to do something positive about it in the future. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother being 'negative' in the first place. Afterall, I think we're facing an uphill climb on the DNR issue from those that want everything to look like Discovery HD to those that don't know any better and everyone in between. :frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen Transformers, either theatrically or on disc, but over on AVS, Amir commented that the powers that be at Paramount were shown both AVC and VC-1 samples of the film- with the VC-1 (he claimed) being the most faifthful and preserving even more apparant grain. They went with the softer, less grainy, less faithful of the two. This is of course only valid if you take Amir at his word which many don't.
For what it's worth, I thought that Hunts original post contained scrubbing in quotes- as if that was exactly the term the studio used with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks