What's new

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Star Trek Into Darkness held up really well this weekend, even after losing 433theaters, dropping only 30%. From boxoffice guru:
Star Trek Into Darkness ranked sixth with an estimated $11.7M, off only 30%, putting it into the double century club at $200.1M from North America. The Paramount hit collected an estimated $17.6M from international markets led by China and boosted the overseas cume to $176.4M and the worldwide tally to $358M.
And I disagree that the next film will have a drastically reduced budget. Since this one will eventually be more successful than the first I would say it will be about the same as this one, maybe even a bit more. Hopefully it will come out in the next two years, probably with a new director. Nelson glad to hear you liked it better in IMAX 3D. That's always my choice whenever a film I want to see is in that format. Next up is Man Of Steel.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tino, what was nice in IMAX was just being able to see more. These new films have action that is paced liked video games and I missed a lot of stuff. Like during the sequence, I missed that Uhura grabbed the Klingon's knife and stabbed him. But more importantly, I was able to absorb more of the dialogue and story. It was loud though! Especially the Superman trailer.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Tino, I admire your optimism. I wish I could share all of it. That citation of the box office is a little off BTW. It says Star Trek ID now has a domestic total of 200.1 million and an international total of 176.4 million, which it then says adds up to 358 million. That's not correct - the total should be 376.5 million. The strange thing with this one is that Star Trek ID is actually doing less business domestically than the 2009 movie did. It doesn't look like it will get to the earlier film's 257 million domestic numbers before it gets pulled from the other theaters. On the other hand, it's already done much better than the 2009 film in the international markets. I think it looks good to make it to somewhere around that 450 million total, and then it should be able to get to the break-even point with the home video release.

Regarding the next movie, I would guarantee you that there will be another director doing it. Abrams' input will be restricted to far-off consultation, since he'll be knee-deep in the next Star Wars movie. I have a feeling that Bad Robot will still be involved as far as the basic producer duties, but you'll see a new writer and a new director. I don't know that you'll see it within two years, as they'd have to be pretty far along in the development process to go into production by next year. I think it's more likely that they'll work on the script next year and go into production in 2015 for a 2016 release. I don't think you'll notice the budget reduction, other than if they choose to forego the 3D. (This would be understandable, as even the post conversion inflated the budget and they didn't get much more in the way of ticket sales out of it)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think I'll catch it one last time in IMAX this week before Man Of Steel takes over. And Kevin, as optimistic as I am, I am a bit disappointed in its box-office totals so far. Being a huge Trek fan, I wanted it to surpass the first film by a huge margin, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen. As I said earlier, I loved it, even more than the first and want only success for the Trek franchise so thy can continue. Hopefully the next film will be even better and please those Trek fans that were disappointed with this one. LLAP ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
New writers is what is really needed.
Good writing and storytelling is usually given short shrift with these bombastic effects-laden summer films.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
RobertR said:
Good writing and storytelling is usually given short shrift with these bombastic effects-laden summer films.
Agreed. But, with JJ out, so go Kurtzman and Orci (most likely). Get a whole new team in there and see what we can create!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The likes of Nicolas Meyer are not likely to be invited back I'm guessing. Anyone from the old guard is out.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Nelson Au said:
The likes of Nicolas Meyer are not likely to be invited back I'm guessing. Anyone from the old guard is out.
As they should be. Plenty of new talent to get in there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but new talent such as John Logan didn't exactly work out. :)The right mix of people will hopefully be engaged.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I liked it, right up until they ruined the scenes I loved about Wrath of Khan for the sake of a winky-wink send up..

I get that it's a parallel universe and all that, but still lame..

They couldn't even give any gravitas or poignancy to Kirk's death, as he was dead all of 5 minutes.. :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finally saw ST:ID yesterday. I totally enjoyed it. Sure a Khan angle that seemed odd mired it a tad. But I don't think they(writers) knew the wrath they'd get by changing Khan to human.Otherwise...The issue with the beginning. The prime directive had been ignored by (prior)Kirk and Picard before.Somebody, I think, mentioned "why not use the superblood on the other captains". They were dead too long.Homage to radiation death. I had no problem with it. What do people not get about "reboot"?And, lastly...Somebody was mired with, "really ask somebody 300 years old to assist in modern weapon building". The explanation given by Khan made total sense. Wasn't this the same premise used in Demolition Man? Imagine if the creators of WW I aircraft were brought back to life today and were given control of Grumman...I'm more than sure that a few had ideas greater than the technology available.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sean Bryan said:
Wait, what?
My bad...I had him confused with Klingon.

My "early TOS" knowledge might as well be called noledge...

Sad part. I saw ST: WoK in theatres...

So yeah...shame on me. And yes, when I first saw Cumberbatch, in my mind flashed Montalban with a Klingon forehead...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now I really feel like an idiot...and the plotline now makes much more sense...

I don't think I've ever seen Space Seed. I've probably only seen half TOS. I started with TNG.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
schan1269 said:
I don't think I've ever seen Space Seed.
It's a gooder.. Like any series Star Trek had its share of complete dreck, but this one was a stand-out, hence their decision to base a movie on it..

The one with the Tribbles would be a good one to watch after this movie as well.. :)

And I stand by my assertion that even casual Trekkers like me will have rolled their eyes at the "rebooted" scenes.. I'm going to kick back with some Krath of Khan and try to forget it ever happened.. LOL

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
doug zdanivsky said:
It's a gooder.. Like any series Star Trek had its share of complete dreck, but this one was a stand-out, hence their decision to base a movie on it..

The one with the Tribbles would be a good one to watch after this movie as well.. :)

And I stand by my assertion that even casual Trekkers like me will have rolled their eyes at the "rebooted" scenes.. I'm going to kick back with some Krath of Khan and try to forget it ever happened.. LOL
Some, but not all (and I'm not even a casual fan, I'm an old-timer from the early 70s syndication run). I found the "rebooted" scenes A) far less "identical" to the original than many people suggest and B) far more compelling on multiple levels. Different strokes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks