What's new

Star Trek: Insurrection SE on June 7th (1 Viewer)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
No director commentary makes sense. I can understand a director not wanting to talk for over an hour about a movie that most Star Trek fans dislike.

DaveMK

Agent
Yes I am.

But I fear it is a real misprint on the label. Now I will have to wait for a review to be sure if the disc contains the deleted scenes. Can't they ever get these discs right?

paul_austin

Second Unit

I disagree I think commentaries for films that didnt hit the mark are more interesting, you can find out what they intended or whether they learned anything, or even why they might agree with popular opinions about their films.

DaveMK

Agent
Will we really have to wait weeks for them to straighten this out or will they realize it quickly and annouce the facts?

By the way, I'd bet good money there will be a audio commentary despite what the box says.

"Yes, we felt 9 of the movies deserved a commentary, but not Insurrection" Yeah, right.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Why not pull something a la Ultimate Matrix Collection and pay a couple of critics who hated the movie to do an audio commentary for the DVD? Then again, there's always the possibility of a MST3K-style commentary bashing and ripping the film... ya never know! :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not really. Look at The Final Frontier, a nearly universally panned movie. Audio commentary, text commentary and deleted scenes.

If Frakes didn't want to do it, at least throw Michael Piller and/or Rick Berman on. After all, it was Piller's script and Berman exec produced.

Peter T.

Grip
Frakes said on a convention a few month ago, that he had just fineshed recording an Audio Commentary for Insurrection.

DaveMK

Agent
The fact that he recorded one is not 100% proof it will be included, but it's at least 95% proof it will.
So, if they can make one mistake they can make two. They really need to get on the ball-I won't preorder this until I'm sure.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
If Frakes can do a commentary track "Thunderbirds" he can do one for this flick. I can hear his commentary now for Insurrection.

"Look, Picard and Data are singing. Genius!'

"Look, Worf has a pimple! That's comedy gold!"

"A-Ha! The famous joystick scene! Here it comes! Wait for it! YEEEEEESSSSSS!"

DaveMK

Agent
:laugh:

You are so right. Maybe there Is a Frakes commentary, but they are afraid advertising it will hurt sales. "Better leave that off the packaging guys"
Actually I was hoping for a writer commentary for this one--there was lot cut out and earlier versions of the script were much darker. The writer might have shed some light. Frakes will just gush.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
With the tone of this thread, I feel like the only fan of this movie! :) To me, it's TNG's 'Voyage Home'... It gives them the chance to show some more of their comedic/tender sides than just straight up action like the 2 previous films (not that I don't like Action :emoji_thumbsup: ). Plus, I really enjoyed the developing relationship between Picard and Anij, and his character arc from Generations (i.e. learning a new outlook on his life). I thought it was a much better send off for the crew than the insipid crap fest that was Nemesis. It's too bad that the Troi-Riker wedding couldn't have happened at the end of this movie. :sigh: :frowning:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
David, I liked it too.

It could have been much better, however, with some doctoring to about 10% of the script. Take out the sophomoric humor and make the film a bit darker and this film would have not only been a good story, but also one that was true to the themes that Roddenberry infused into Trek.

-Scott

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I kinda liked this one but it had some problems: the sophomoric humor Scott mentioned is a big one, and the ending feels too reminiscent of Treks past (the scaffolding recalls Generations, the last-minute beaming recalls Trek III, for starters). The opening Data's-gone-mad sequence is another in a very long line of Data's-gone-mad sequences and if ever anything was done too much, it is that.

Still, the peaceful existence of the people on the planet and the benevolent society they formed is very true to Roddenberry's vision. Donna Murphy is a welcome guest star and when Patrick Stewart isn't being silly, he gives a good performance.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I view this as a two-hour 6th season TNG episode, as opposed to a feature film. I enjoyed it (much more than "Generations"), and have not yet seen "Nemesis" (waiting for the SE to complete the collection). I concur with the previous comments concerning sophomoric humor, but place this as a solid 2nd for the TNG films, behind "First Contact". I don't know where Nemesis would fit, but I'm guessing somewhere just below "Insurrection" in the vast chasm between "Insurrection" and "Generations"... Looking forward to this one!

Britton

Screenwriter

I fully agree with you on this statement. I own the old DVD which is good enough for the level of enjoyment and interest I have for Insurrection. No need for me to spend money on this movie again, especially if that back cover scan DavisDVD put up correctly lists the actual special features and is not a faaaaaake.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Well I will double dip on this because I am a sucker. :D I own eight already (double dipping on seven), why stop now?

I agree with the assessment of it as a 6th season two parter. That sounds about right. I just don't understand the TNG film's reluctance to create *any* sort of arc whatsoever. The changes were mostly abrupt and/or off screen (Data's emotion chip, Geordi losing his visor, Troi and Riker rekindling their romance) and no consequences were followed up on. Insurrection could have perfectly followed up on the aftermath of the Borg, or even dipped into some DS9 storylines which were getting very good at that time.

I like all of the TNG films to different degrees (in fact First Contact is my favorite out of all 10, with Nemesis at 3rd), but they could've done more.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
No Frakes commentary I'm afraid. However, the deleted scenes are indeed included. We've posted menu shots, and screencaps of the deleted scenes here

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Not to doubt you or anything, Tom, but I received my review copy yesterday, and there was no mention of deleted scenes anywhere on the package. I've not had a chance to look at the disc because of work, so I can't confirm on my end at this point, yet your scans seem to verify otherwise. Did your copy have mention of the deleted scenes on the back cover? If so, could you provide a scan of the back cover of the disc? And is your copy R1 or R2? Just wanted to ask to make sure that there aren't two versions of the disc floating out there, one with deleted scenes and one without.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks