What's new

Star Trek II Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Another bad one is Robert De Niro. Great actor, but his crying scenes in Analyze This, well not very good.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
As far as his acting ability, at least he comes by his ham-handedness honestly. Believe it or not, he is a classically trained Shakespearean actor.
What does being a classically trained Shakespearean actor have to do with ham-handedness? I don't think either one has anything to do with the other. I mean, you just insulted a multitude of classically trained Shakespearean actors! :laugh:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Here's a good question for you. Who was worse: Mark Hamill or William Shatner? Star Wars is one of my favorites, but that scene in Empire where Luke is crying and screaming when Vader told him he was his father is just plain bad acting. I remember certain scenes in Star Trek episodes where Shatner got emotional and it just didn't work.
Well I'd pick Hamill any time. The guy lost movement in his face for one thing before Empire.

But apart from anything else he's good at delivering his lines (very good - don't forget he is the Joker in Batman The Animated Series), whereas Shatner can't seem to...put the pause...where it...matters.

Blu

Screenwriter
Come on man it is Freebird! I've heard the Will to Power version and unless they had a name change to Lynyrd Skynyrd NO they have no business attempting Freebird.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Oh they must include Space Seed on the DVD, pleeese pleeese pleeese, its perfect and it would complete the package, ooooh can't wait for this one, altogether now....

"I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's Flames before I give him up!"

"KHAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!"

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Add me to the list of people who don't agree that Shatner is a bad actor.

Yes, he has given some bad performances, BUT check out his twilight zone episodes. Also he was the only actor in Incubus who didn't look like they were glaring at the cue cards when when speaking Esperanto (sp?).

There is a trend away from allowing actors to play things that are bigger than life like Captain Kirk. Well, the idea was in many ways Kirk was bigger than life character and that is how Shatner played him.

Peter

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I would love to see Ricardo Mantablan (SP) do a commentary as well..

WS's best acting moments were in ST2, which is not saying a whole lot. Kirk really came into is own in this film, but I probably have to attribute it more to the script and to Nicolas Meyer (Director) than to Shatner. After STIV, WS seemed to lose interest in even trying to take his character the least bit seriously. Either that, he's just letting his age affect his performances.

Yes - love to see SPACE SEED on this disc too.

Elbert

Randy Duncan

Auditioning
What is the ABC footage?
In addition to the extended scene when Kirk inspects Engineering, the scene where the kid dies is also extended, and shows more conversation between Kirk and a grieving Scott. The scene shows Shatner in a slightly more vulnerable light.

Also, ABC showed different takes / camera angles of other scenes. When Kirk and Saavik are alone in the turbolift, the camera focus is on their faces rather than pulled back. "Are you wearing your hair differently, Lieutenant?" "It's still regulation, sir."

After Chekov contacts Regula I and informs Carol Marcus that Reliant is on her way to take posession of the Genesis project, the members of the Genesis team discuss / argue their options. ABC showed a completely different take of this scene than the theatrical release. Camera angle and dialog are both different, and the ABC 'version' presents more tension between Carol and David Marcus than the theatrical release. If I remember correctly, the scene also runs slightly longer.

All in all I like the "ABC footage". The turbolift scene does not work very well in my opinion, but the other scenes are cool. I hope Paramount includes them on the SE!

And has anyone heard whether or not Ricardo Montalban is doing a commentary?

-- Elrand

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
For my money, the two Nicholas Meyer STAR TREK movies are the best featuring the original cast. I can't wait for special editions of both.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry, as far as I knew, that was the first time I'd ever seen one of his characters cry and I thought, silly me, he was really supposed to be hysterical, having a breakdown, so my first thought was, he's a great actor, but does a lousy sad/crying.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
What does being a classically trained Shakespearean actor have to do with ham-handedness? I don't think either one has anything to do with the other. I mean, you just insulted a multitude of classically trained Shakespearean actors!
Ha! Well, I was trying to be complimentary :D
Seriously, I love Bill Shatner. I know he's iffy in more than a few roles, but when he's in his element he can be very effective. Star Trek II and VI, the Meyer installments, for example. And yes...he does.....phrase things...a little wonky but not as much...as he used to. :)
I am very much looking forward to the Star Trek SEs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks