What's new

Star Trek II: CE delayed :-( (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the Space Dock wish that it be inserted in place of the drydock footage from ST-TMP, don't forget that Star Trek II was done on the cheap. I'm sure you are all aware that the costs of the first film, which included all the costs of the film AND the earlier aborted attempts to revive Star Trek as a TV series. These costs were the highest for a film back then, and it was always falsely reported as the cost of the film alone.

Paramount wanted to make a sequel, but handed the project to Harve Bennett, a TV producer with that kind of mentallity likely. With a limited budget, it made sense to reuse the footage of the Enterprise leaving drydock. I don't have a problem with it and it was a mixture of the original film elements used on that sequence and in the last shot of the first film. It was elegantly edited down. And the score made it sing. I still recall Roger Ebert saying how majestic that sequence was, I forget the exact word.

If this DE of Star Trek II is enhanced, then so be it. I still have the original laserdiscs and DVD's. So we all win. As an earlier posted already stated, you can chose not to buy it if you are not happy they tampered with the effects. I hope they don't, but I look forward to seeing it if they did and I will enjoy seeing it.

Nelson

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Interesting points here! I loved the TMP release on DVD. It was an unfinished film and care was taken to finish the film properly and with a 1979 look. It was well done. I have both versions on VHS of the original theatrical cut (widescreen) as well as the extended version. The original theatrical cut is messy and hard to follow I think. The extended to much material. Anyway, the fact the film was never edited properly before release is what prompted everything. It was well done and is the version Robert Wise wanted us to see originally. I believe it was well done. If your longing for the original theatrical version (Why for one?) you can always have it on VHS. I think the circumstances here were very different than most films and special editions that are being done now. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I look at Star Wars The Special Editions I'm left thinking why George?
Star Trek II I think has to be handled different than TMP. I believe with this and all the other films of the Star Trek series (except maybe 5?) the original cuts should be included with the new Director's cuts. Similar to what is being done with E.T. Will I watch the old versions? Well, I've seen them all countless times and will probably watch the new versions from here on out. I understand wanting to have the original versions included though. Being such a huge fan of Star Trek II, the more footage etc, the better. As long as the director is included and feels it's important to the film. It's his film. I look forward to the new version and seeing the extra footage that was aired on ABC with Meyer's approval. I'm not too concerned about effects, and don't think they will be changed but if Meyer feels the need, so be it. Just include the original version for all those purists who want it and will probably never watch it. : ) Just kidding, I'll get it for that comment.
As far as V is concerned. I kind of feel the same way about that one as TMP. I know there were budget concerns and it's not one of the more enduring films of the series. If the director's trend continues for the series I think it would be great to see a new version. As I've said before please include the original cuts as well.
As we will never get anymore new episodes or films from the original crew, it's exciting for me to see these films fleshed out more by the director of the film. I'm excited for the rest of the films being re-released. If they fail to include the original versions, well I have those already. :)

Britton

Screenwriter
In the theatrical version, the assasin was never revealed to be Col. West. So the implication is that this was just another Klingon conspirator. The extra footage added a nice touch, as it further touched upon the prejudice within Starfleet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks