What's new

Star Trek Generations CE DVD?? (2 Viewers)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Sorry, but as much I like Malcolm McDowell, I thought that Alice Krige was better, and F Murray Abraham better still.

That's just the movies. David Warner wins overall of course. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Sorry, but as much I like Malcolm McDowell, I thought that Alice Krige was better, and F Murray Abraham better still.

That's just the movies. David Warner wins overall of course. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Those specs seem bogus to me. I'll wait for the official press release before getting excited.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Those specs seem bogus to me. I'll wait for the official press release before getting excited.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
According to Startrek.com...

It does not have dts audio but it does have Dolby Digital 5.1 EX sound.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
According to Startrek.com...

It does not have dts audio but it does have Dolby Digital 5.1 EX sound.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Whatever Paramount does with the audio, I hope they use the same master that was used for the laser discs 5.1 track. That had some unbelievable LFE on it, which is the way it was theatrically. The current DVD sounds pitiful in comparison and is not the way the film sounded theatrically. The crash has no impact (especially when they enter the atmosphere) on the DVD. There should be a blast as they break the sound barrier, but it's timid and weak on the current DVD. This new disc could really be prime demo material if Paramount gets the sound right.

Paramount, please look into this. I want the Amargosa star destruction to sound like a star exploding, regardless of if there is actually sound in space or not. :)

Neil

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Whatever Paramount does with the audio, I hope they use the same master that was used for the laser discs 5.1 track. That had some unbelievable LFE on it, which is the way it was theatrically. The current DVD sounds pitiful in comparison and is not the way the film sounded theatrically. The crash has no impact (especially when they enter the atmosphere) on the DVD. There should be a blast as they break the sound barrier, but it's timid and weak on the current DVD. This new disc could really be prime demo material if Paramount gets the sound right.

Paramount, please look into this. I want the Amargosa star destruction to sound like a star exploding, regardless of if there is actually sound in space or not. :)

Neil

GregK

Screenwriter
Agreed. I've only rented the current Generations DVD, with it lacking anamorphic enhancement and having zero extras (not even a trailer!) and was surprised at the loss of impact and/or dynamic range, especially in the LFE area. The Generations DD DVD audio on it's own sounds .."OK", but when compared to the DD laserdisc 5.1 track, the DVD's audio shortcomings then become apparent.

GregK

Screenwriter
Agreed. I've only rented the current Generations DVD, with it lacking anamorphic enhancement and having zero extras (not even a trailer!) and was surprised at the loss of impact and/or dynamic range, especially in the LFE area. The Generations DD DVD audio on it's own sounds .."OK", but when compared to the DD laserdisc 5.1 track, the DVD's audio shortcomings then become apparent.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This needs a true upgrade. In addition to the new anamorphic transfer, Paramount needs to make this the ultimate realization of the film on home video, and the only way to do that is to make sure the audio is handled properly. I caught this film 7 times theatrically in a THX certified theater with a DTS sound system. The LD was what I heard in the theater, with it's deep bass and agressive volume. The current DVD is tame and in no way represents the film as it was released.

Neil

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
This needs a true upgrade. In addition to the new anamorphic transfer, Paramount needs to make this the ultimate realization of the film on home video, and the only way to do that is to make sure the audio is handled properly. I caught this film 7 times theatrically in a THX certified theater with a DTS sound system. The LD was what I heard in the theater, with it's deep bass and agressive volume. The current DVD is tame and in no way represents the film as it was released.

Neil

GregK

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits has just confirmed all the specs listed on their webpage with Paramount.. including the Dolby Digital EX and DTS audio.

GregK

Screenwriter
The Digital Bits has just confirmed all the specs listed on their webpage with Paramount.. including the Dolby Digital EX and DTS audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks