What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
My all time favorite ST episode has to be City on the Edge of Tomorrow. It had a real theatrical feel to it whereas most of the ST movies had more of a made for TV feel to them.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
My all time favorite ST episode has to be City on the Edge of Tomorrow. It had a real theatrical feel to it whereas most of the ST movies had more of a made for TV feel to them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My impression is that Frakes gets ST:TNG. I'm in favor of his direction. But for another movie, a different writer is needed.

Who wrote First Contact?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My impression is that Frakes gets ST:TNG. I'm in favor of his direction. But for another movie, a different writer is needed.

Who wrote First Contact?

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
First Contact was a Braga & Moore affair, with Berman getting a story credit, but who knows how much he actually had to do with it besides sending a memo saying, "That's too risky" every now and then.

I also believe First Contact was the last movie where we didn't have Stewart and/or Spiner getting all intimately involved in the writing process. When they started getting that kind of input it was a disaster of mythic proportions IMO.

As for Frakes, I really liked his work on First Contact. There was nothing really "daring" about it I suppose, but the look of the film and the polish that was on it was great IMO. This is in stark contrast to Nemesis, which had a "real" director, but I felt looked very clunky (aside from the space battles). The Romulan costumes, those horrid Reman Hellraiser Cenobite outfits, the wonky lighting, it all just looked pretty bad, and not nearly as nice as First Contact.

Of course First Contact also gave us one of the best musical themes of the movie franchise.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
First Contact was a Braga & Moore affair, with Berman getting a story credit, but who knows how much he actually had to do with it besides sending a memo saying, "That's too risky" every now and then.

I also believe First Contact was the last movie where we didn't have Stewart and/or Spiner getting all intimately involved in the writing process. When they started getting that kind of input it was a disaster of mythic proportions IMO.

As for Frakes, I really liked his work on First Contact. There was nothing really "daring" about it I suppose, but the look of the film and the polish that was on it was great IMO. This is in stark contrast to Nemesis, which had a "real" director, but I felt looked very clunky (aside from the space battles). The Romulan costumes, those horrid Reman Hellraiser Cenobite outfits, the wonky lighting, it all just looked pretty bad, and not nearly as nice as First Contact.

Of course First Contact also gave us one of the best musical themes of the movie franchise.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually did not like the story that much in First Contact.

Entertaining, sure, but stay away from the time travel plot lines.

Yeah and definitely Spinner and Stewart should not have creative control. I can understand Frakes directing, but you can't have too many chefs and only one kitchen.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually did not like the story that much in First Contact.

Entertaining, sure, but stay away from the time travel plot lines.

Yeah and definitely Spinner and Stewart should not have creative control. I can understand Frakes directing, but you can't have too many chefs and only one kitchen.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I've never really understood the time travel criticism of the film. It was a nice of way of bringing back the Borg without just repeating "The Best of Both Worlds," and I'm convinced alot of the criticism people have of the film stems more from the mishandling of time travel and the Borg in Voyager and people misplacing that anger to FC.

For instance, I don't really feel the Borg Queen "undermined" the Borg as a force in FC. However, that's a common complaint, but I think it has more to do with how the Borg were (over)used in Voyager every other episode or whenever the ratings dipped.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I've never really understood the time travel criticism of the film. It was a nice of way of bringing back the Borg without just repeating "The Best of Both Worlds," and I'm convinced alot of the criticism people have of the film stems more from the mishandling of time travel and the Borg in Voyager and people misplacing that anger to FC.

For instance, I don't really feel the Borg Queen "undermined" the Borg as a force in FC. However, that's a common complaint, but I think it has more to do with how the Borg were (over)used in Voyager every other episode or whenever the ratings dipped.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I agree with that. Having the Borg Queen, to me made the borg even more menacing, becuase there's this lunatic at the "helm." We still were left with plenty of mystery about the motivations of the Borg.

I didn't get into Voyager much, but the impression I got was that Voyager took away a lot of that mystery and ruined the borg as a truely frightful unstoppable villain.

It's a pity because I think the borg were probably one of the best villains Star Trek has had - especially the part where they would subvert you into becoming one of them.

- bones

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I agree with that. Having the Borg Queen, to me made the borg even more menacing, becuase there's this lunatic at the "helm." We still were left with plenty of mystery about the motivations of the Borg.

I didn't get into Voyager much, but the impression I got was that Voyager took away a lot of that mystery and ruined the borg as a truely frightful unstoppable villain.

It's a pity because I think the borg were probably one of the best villains Star Trek has had - especially the part where they would subvert you into becoming one of them.

- bones

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
DS9's "Visitor" is by far the triumph of that series. Yes, TOS's "City on the Edge of Forever" is fantastic as well, but the haunting performance by Tony Todd was unforgettable.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
DS9's "Visitor" is by far the triumph of that series. Yes, TOS's "City on the Edge of Forever" is fantastic as well, but the haunting performance by Tony Todd was unforgettable.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Oops, thanks for the correction Gary, it is City on the Edge of Forever, not City on the Edge of Tomorrow. I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Oops, thanks for the correction Gary, it is City on the Edge of Forever, not City on the Edge of Tomorrow. I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks