What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hope you're not lumping this with "all the bad TV shows." The latter portion of DS9 is generally considered the equal or even superior of TNG. I didn't watch until about third season, when Worf joined, but it soon hooked me. It met and even exceeded TNG in characters, stories, and kickin' space battles. :)

Voyager started pretty well but never improved. And ended with a terrible series finale that made a mockery of the travails of the Voyager crew.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hope you're not lumping this with "all the bad TV shows." The latter portion of DS9 is generally considered the equal or even superior of TNG. I didn't watch until about third season, when Worf joined, but it soon hooked me. It met and even exceeded TNG in characters, stories, and kickin' space battles. :)

Voyager started pretty well but never improved. And ended with a terrible series finale that made a mockery of the travails of the Voyager crew.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
While DS9's characters may seem difficult to relate to due to the conflicts they were involved in, they're in fact the most fully-realized in all of the Trek universe

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
While DS9's characters may seem difficult to relate to due to the conflicts they were involved in, they're in fact the most fully-realized in all of the Trek universe

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

The tough thing here is that many of the episodes are better than a lot of movies, and I'm not talking about Star Trek movies. How can they consistently top that? It's like having to beat the world record in the long jump every time you compete.

In a way Star Trek is a victim of it's own success through the expectations it's created.

- bones

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

The tough thing here is that many of the episodes are better than a lot of movies, and I'm not talking about Star Trek movies. How can they consistently top that? It's like having to beat the world record in the long jump every time you compete.

In a way Star Trek is a victim of it's own success through the expectations it's created.

- bones

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I think there is no more future in Trek. Time to let it go. The direction it has taken in the past decade with these "spinoffs" has been so degrading that Star Trek is back to the stereotyped characterization and cliche's it had back in the 70s and early 80s.

The movies are a different story as their degradation started sooner, starting with TWOK and Harve "The Powers of Mathew Star" Bennet. While the movies are fun to watch occassionaly, they are nothing more than cheap popcorn "B" movies that haven't aged well and in the end, not worthy of the Star Trek phenom.

What I would have liked to have seen with the movies is what was done with the original series (for the most part)... have lit S-F authors helm the story telling, making the movies more epic in the telling and production. The motion picture attempted to do that but production blunders made the movie go over budget and studio politics prevented completion of the film. Even though it made its money back and more, this "bad" experience left a bad taste in Paramount's mouth, thus beginning it's descent. Let's make the next movie as cheaply as we can. And that's the direction the movies have taken ever since.

Just my opinion, and probaby not a popular one here, but that's my take on it.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I think there is no more future in Trek. Time to let it go. The direction it has taken in the past decade with these "spinoffs" has been so degrading that Star Trek is back to the stereotyped characterization and cliche's it had back in the 70s and early 80s.

The movies are a different story as their degradation started sooner, starting with TWOK and Harve "The Powers of Mathew Star" Bennet. While the movies are fun to watch occassionaly, they are nothing more than cheap popcorn "B" movies that haven't aged well and in the end, not worthy of the Star Trek phenom.

What I would have liked to have seen with the movies is what was done with the original series (for the most part)... have lit S-F authors helm the story telling, making the movies more epic in the telling and production. The motion picture attempted to do that but production blunders made the movie go over budget and studio politics prevented completion of the film. Even though it made its money back and more, this "bad" experience left a bad taste in Paramount's mouth, thus beginning it's descent. Let's make the next movie as cheaply as we can. And that's the direction the movies have taken ever since.

Just my opinion, and probaby not a popular one here, but that's my take on it.

Terry St

Second Unit
There's plenty of life left in Trek, but the dynamic B&B duo need to be put out to pasture for a few years. Apparently, J. Michael Straczynski has penned a treatment for a new Trek series. One can only hope Paramount shows some smarts and buys in for a change... I don't need to see it or know anything about it. It's got to be better than the "safe trek" of the last few years. In my opinion, the only thing better for sci-fi TV fans than a new JMS-helmed B5 series would be a JMS-helmed Star Trek series!

Now, just for the heck of it, let's speculate wildly on what JMS's treatment might be. Let's face it, speculation might be all we'll ever have since it's probably going to scare off the pansies running Paramount.

Even B&B have realized that the same old federation crew aboard a federation starship doing federation-type stuff has gotten stale. This would be where the idea for a star trek acadamy prequel(s) came from. Frankly, that idea stinks. They've already made some Starfleet acadamy Trek episodes, and for the most part, they were truly cringe-inducing. It's safe to say JMS has something completely different down on paper.

Personally, if I were looking for a way to revitalize Trek I'd move away from the Starfleet corner of the universe into, shall we say, more interesting "waters". While many would love to see a show about Klingons, romulans, etc., it would be logistically painful. Getting one or two actors into heavy make-up per show is bad enough, but expecting the entire cast to show up at 4am for make-up on a daily basis for 7 seasons is just sadistic. Fortunately, in the Trek universe there are humans outside of Starfleet. Some of them are downright shady too! Just imagine a series based around a group of freighters, smugglers, mercenaries, criminals, bounty hunters, etc.. Granted, it's not Star Trek in Gene Roddenberry's "perfect people living perfect lives in a perfect future" mold, but that mold is just too restrictive. A show like this could have far more interesting character interactions than we've seen in a Trek show to date. The Federation doesn't have to fall by the wayside either. It could simply be explored from a different viewpoint. After all, the darker side of the Trek universe tends to have very... "interesting" interactions with Starfleet.

Terry St

Second Unit
There's plenty of life left in Trek, but the dynamic B&B duo need to be put out to pasture for a few years. Apparently, J. Michael Straczynski has penned a treatment for a new Trek series. One can only hope Paramount shows some smarts and buys in for a change... I don't need to see it or know anything about it. It's got to be better than the "safe trek" of the last few years. In my opinion, the only thing better for sci-fi TV fans than a new JMS-helmed B5 series would be a JMS-helmed Star Trek series!

Now, just for the heck of it, let's speculate wildly on what JMS's treatment might be. Let's face it, speculation might be all we'll ever have since it's probably going to scare off the pansies running Paramount.

Even B&B have realized that the same old federation crew aboard a federation starship doing federation-type stuff has gotten stale. This would be where the idea for a star trek acadamy prequel(s) came from. Frankly, that idea stinks. They've already made some Starfleet acadamy Trek episodes, and for the most part, they were truly cringe-inducing. It's safe to say JMS has something completely different down on paper.

Personally, if I were looking for a way to revitalize Trek I'd move away from the Starfleet corner of the universe into, shall we say, more interesting "waters". While many would love to see a show about Klingons, romulans, etc., it would be logistically painful. Getting one or two actors into heavy make-up per show is bad enough, but expecting the entire cast to show up at 4am for make-up on a daily basis for 7 seasons is just sadistic. Fortunately, in the Trek universe there are humans outside of Starfleet. Some of them are downright shady too! Just imagine a series based around a group of freighters, smugglers, mercenaries, criminals, bounty hunters, etc.. Granted, it's not Star Trek in Gene Roddenberry's "perfect people living perfect lives in a perfect future" mold, but that mold is just too restrictive. A show like this could have far more interesting character interactions than we've seen in a Trek show to date. The Federation doesn't have to fall by the wayside either. It could simply be explored from a different viewpoint. After all, the darker side of the Trek universe tends to have very... "interesting" interactions with Starfleet.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't think any of the TNG movies really took advantage of the strengths of the TNG TV series, which were the cast chemistry, ensemble nature, etc.

Each movie boiled down to some silly high concept as well and kinda sucked the humanity/humor out of the proceedings.

Also another thing the prior Star Trek movies did get right were the "politics" of space travel/war. The TNG series also had a lot of that.

But with the movies all we got were death rays or time travel and stuff like that.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I don't think any of the TNG movies really took advantage of the strengths of the TNG TV series, which were the cast chemistry, ensemble nature, etc.

Each movie boiled down to some silly high concept as well and kinda sucked the humanity/humor out of the proceedings.

Also another thing the prior Star Trek movies did get right were the "politics" of space travel/war. The TNG series also had a lot of that.

But with the movies all we got were death rays or time travel and stuff like that.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see an animated Next Gen series, in the style of the Roughnecks Troopers animation.

Perhaps we've even reached a point in technology where we can have other actors speak the lines, but have their voices transformed into the voices of the original Next Gen actors. With royalties of course. ("Embassador Worf: voice of Michael Dorn performed by Joe Smith").

This would be particularly effective for stories set on alien worlds - the Klingon empire for instance. No more hours in the makeup chair and no more only one Klingon Hall set.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see an animated Next Gen series, in the style of the Roughnecks Troopers animation.

Perhaps we've even reached a point in technology where we can have other actors speak the lines, but have their voices transformed into the voices of the original Next Gen actors. With royalties of course. ("Embassador Worf: voice of Michael Dorn performed by Joe Smith").

This would be particularly effective for stories set on alien worlds - the Klingon empire for instance. No more hours in the makeup chair and no more only one Klingon Hall set.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think the best idea in this thread is a straight to dvd captain Riker mini series. I'd be first in line to pick that one up....... :)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think the best idea in this thread is a straight to dvd captain Riker mini series. I'd be first in line to pick that one up....... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks