What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Personally I think Paramount should bring in Nicolas Meyer and give the TNG crew a proper send off. Star Trek II and Star Trek VI are both very well done.

And Brent Spinner/Patrick Stewart need to just lay off and play their roles instead of dominating the movies.

Obviously Star Trek will be back on the big screen, its just a matter of whether that will be in the next few years or way down the line.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Personally I think Paramount should bring in Nicolas Meyer and give the TNG crew a proper send off. Star Trek II and Star Trek VI are both very well done.

And Brent Spinner/Patrick Stewart need to just lay off and play their roles instead of dominating the movies.

Obviously Star Trek will be back on the big screen, its just a matter of whether that will be in the next few years or way down the line.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
It may not be the best ST movie (I personally think The Wrath of Khan is the best) but the battle sequences at the end are some of the best that I have seen. A great workout for any surround system.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
It may not be the best ST movie (I personally think The Wrath of Khan is the best) but the battle sequences at the end are some of the best that I have seen. A great workout for any surround system.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I agree that Nemesis is an entertaining enough film on its own, and the final battle scenes are fun to watch. Like most people, though, I felt that as an entry in the series, especially if it is to be the last TNG film, it was just bad, and full of missed opportunities.

I'm with DanHaya; I would love to see another TNG-era film with characters from the different series. And it should be absolutely and unapologetically for the fans. I understand their wanting to allow mainstream audiences to enjoy it, but that doesn't mean they have to insult longtime fans like they did in Nemesis. I couldn't believe how much of the characters' backstories were just plain ignored (not really contradicted, but just forgotten about). And much of this information was relevant to the story they were trying to tell. Also, you have to remember that in its heydey, TNG was a fairly mainstream show itself; a lot of people watched it.

It's not impossible to please both fans and non-fans at the same time. Voyage Home is still the most successful of the movie series, and although I know some found it too silly, it was a true crossover hit. To this day, I hear people who hate Star Trek admit that "the one with the whales was okay." And yet, that film was full of references to previous films, and even specific episodes from the series. It can be done.

At any rate, I'm not sure about the whole prequel thing. Enterprise is starting to work, and I can understand wanting to go back and fill in some of the holes, but if we're going to have a completely new cast, why not go forward? That's what Star Trek has always been about, anyway. Show us how the Federation is dealing with the aftermath of the Dominion War, or move even further ahead and show us the early 25th-Century.

I dunno; these are just some ideas. There are always possibilities.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I agree that Nemesis is an entertaining enough film on its own, and the final battle scenes are fun to watch. Like most people, though, I felt that as an entry in the series, especially if it is to be the last TNG film, it was just bad, and full of missed opportunities.

I'm with DanHaya; I would love to see another TNG-era film with characters from the different series. And it should be absolutely and unapologetically for the fans. I understand their wanting to allow mainstream audiences to enjoy it, but that doesn't mean they have to insult longtime fans like they did in Nemesis. I couldn't believe how much of the characters' backstories were just plain ignored (not really contradicted, but just forgotten about). And much of this information was relevant to the story they were trying to tell. Also, you have to remember that in its heydey, TNG was a fairly mainstream show itself; a lot of people watched it.

It's not impossible to please both fans and non-fans at the same time. Voyage Home is still the most successful of the movie series, and although I know some found it too silly, it was a true crossover hit. To this day, I hear people who hate Star Trek admit that "the one with the whales was okay." And yet, that film was full of references to previous films, and even specific episodes from the series. It can be done.

At any rate, I'm not sure about the whole prequel thing. Enterprise is starting to work, and I can understand wanting to go back and fill in some of the holes, but if we're going to have a completely new cast, why not go forward? That's what Star Trek has always been about, anyway. Show us how the Federation is dealing with the aftermath of the Dominion War, or move even further ahead and show us the early 25th-Century.

I dunno; these are just some ideas. There are always possibilities.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It may not have been the greatest film, but I think Nemesis was a victim of poor scheduling. I can't for the life of me figure out what Paramount was thinking putting it up against the fantasy juggernaut of The Lord of the Rings. I knew they were going to have their ass handed to them. It didn't take psychic ability to see that coming from a mile away.

Held until January/February, I think it would have doubled its grosses anyway.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It may not have been the greatest film, but I think Nemesis was a victim of poor scheduling. I can't for the life of me figure out what Paramount was thinking putting it up against the fantasy juggernaut of The Lord of the Rings. I knew they were going to have their ass handed to them. It didn't take psychic ability to see that coming from a mile away.

Held until January/February, I think it would have doubled its grosses anyway.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I agree. They have let them get to heavily into the creative process to benefit themselves and the movies usually become the Picard/Data movies instead of a trek film.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I agree. They have let them get to heavily into the creative process to benefit themselves and the movies usually become the Picard/Data movies instead of a trek film.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
They should wait until after Star Wars III is released. That series is probably Star Trek's biggest competitor.

As they did in Generations they should do in the next Star Trek film, pass the torch to a new crew and ship. Have it set around a hundred years or so in the future after the adventures of Enterprise E is over. The adventures of Enterprise F or G or whatever.

New ship, new crew, new technology, new storyline possibilities, new villians. Could really put new life into the Star Trek film universe.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
They should wait until after Star Wars III is released. That series is probably Star Trek's biggest competitor.

As they did in Generations they should do in the next Star Trek film, pass the torch to a new crew and ship. Have it set around a hundred years or so in the future after the adventures of Enterprise E is over. The adventures of Enterprise F or G or whatever.

New ship, new crew, new technology, new storyline possibilities, new villians. Could really put new life into the Star Trek film universe.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
The thing that bugs me the most about Nemesis is the same thing that bugged me about Van Helsing. Both movies had such potential. They could've easily been a lot better and they had a lot to work with, but just crapped out. Well, that and Nemesis seemed like a cheap knock-off of The Wrath of Khan. Not a big fan of the original crew and their movies anyway (I know, blasphemy), but it's still the principle of the matter. There's still plenty of original stories out there that need to be written.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
The thing that bugs me the most about Nemesis is the same thing that bugged me about Van Helsing. Both movies had such potential. They could've easily been a lot better and they had a lot to work with, but just crapped out. Well, that and Nemesis seemed like a cheap knock-off of The Wrath of Khan. Not a big fan of the original crew and their movies anyway (I know, blasphemy), but it's still the principle of the matter. There's still plenty of original stories out there that need to be written.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Every Star Trek movie for the last 10 years has tried to make itself Khan's kin. Go back and check out the press Berman did for each (1994, 1996, 1998, 2002) and you'll see that he said "we have the best villian since Khan in this one!"

Not only does this give the new movie an impossible standard to live up to, but it cheapens Khan to have all these knock-offs in the same movie series!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Every Star Trek movie for the last 10 years has tried to make itself Khan's kin. Go back and check out the press Berman did for each (1994, 1996, 1998, 2002) and you'll see that he said "we have the best villian since Khan in this one!"

Not only does this give the new movie an impossible standard to live up to, but it cheapens Khan to have all these knock-offs in the same movie series!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Featuring the adventures of Captain Riker, his missus, and other assorted folk. Who'd be his first officer? LaForge? Don't think engineers are typically in the "main" command structure. Worf? Possible but weird, considering his past history with the missus. And would the missus be counsellor on Riker's ship as well? Seems a bit of a conflict of interest, who's going to counsel the captain on marital troubles, if any?

Possibly doable, but unlikely, considering Paramount probably thinks of Stewart as being the indispensable lead man. Can anyone imagine a TOS-crew movie without Kirk?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Featuring the adventures of Captain Riker, his missus, and other assorted folk. Who'd be his first officer? LaForge? Don't think engineers are typically in the "main" command structure. Worf? Possible but weird, considering his past history with the missus. And would the missus be counsellor on Riker's ship as well? Seems a bit of a conflict of interest, who's going to counsel the captain on marital troubles, if any?

Possibly doable, but unlikely, considering Paramount probably thinks of Stewart as being the indispensable lead man. Can anyone imagine a TOS-crew movie without Kirk?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There could be a movie that works that focuses on the great Klingon mythology, with Worf as a central figure and using the casts of TNG and DS9 (not necessarily all of them). Seems unlikely they'd have a movie that focused on Sisko (wish they would though) since his disappearance at the end of the series would be too hard to explain to general movie audiences. But Klingons? Everybody knows Klingons.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There could be a movie that works that focuses on the great Klingon mythology, with Worf as a central figure and using the casts of TNG and DS9 (not necessarily all of them). Seems unlikely they'd have a movie that focused on Sisko (wish they would though) since his disappearance at the end of the series would be too hard to explain to general movie audiences. But Klingons? Everybody knows Klingons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks