What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (2 Viewers)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My personal feeling is Kirk was a big asshole in the theatrical cut of the movie. The directors cut tones that down considerably, to the films benefit.
The best addition to TMP was Spock realizing how important emotions are. THAT my friends was the heart and soul of the film. It is non existent in the theatrical cut.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
The trek movies were never overpriced on DVD, it's not the same as the TV sets-- not even the same distributor. They get priced the same as every other Paramount catalog title.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I always loved the idea that BOTH Kirk and Spock had become kinda A-holes and needed/exploited the situation to get their own life together! (I think Robert Wise had to walk a fine line with Kirk being the right "level" of asshole, and the director's cut did a nice job finding the balance)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Count me in as one of the folks that does NOT miss the "Oh my god". It was a terrible reading...

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
They rendered the Director's Cut effects in 480p??? :eek: What were they thinking? I am quite shocked.
I could swear that I heard back in 2001, just before they released the DVD, that Paramount was thinking about bringing the DC in cinemas for a limited release... Would that have been also in 480p?
I mean, I couldn't care less about the new special effects. If the re-rendering of the new effects are too expensive, then leave the old ones in. The effects were definately not the weak spot of the original movie.
But what I actually DO care about are the quite significant character improvements the Director's Cut contains! There are many small but significant moments in it which really DO contribute to the emotional complexity and depth of those characters. Most importantly Spock's character arc, completed by the small scene where he is crying.
Also the pacing is MUCH better. It's one of the few examples where the Director's Cut of a mediocre film turns it into a good one. It really fixed most of the problems with the original cut and I can not imagine myself going back to the theatrical release again.
They could easily have packed both cuts on the Blu Ray, with 50GB capacity Blu Ray provides.
Big thumbs down to Paramount. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oliver, there was lots of speculation and hopeful cries from the fans that the director's cut would be re-released in the theaters. And so there was talk when asked that if it was, it would have to have the new effects rendered at higher resolution. Ultimately, they decided not to re-issue it to theaters and the decision was to just do 480 resolution. It may or may not have been short sighted. This was back in 2000.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
RickER said:
The best addition to TMP was Spock realizing how important emotions are. THAT my friends was the heart and soul of the film. It is non existent in the theatrical cut.
This DOES kinda come out during the sequence in sick bay immediately after Spock's spacewalk where he tells Kirk, whilst clutching at his hand, that V'Ger is unable to understand simple feelings.
The scene later on where Spock is seen crying is featured in the TV version of the movie, and has been since about 1980. Perhaps they should have included THAT version, along with the theatrical version, on the BD.
At the end of the day, the director's cut is merely a hybrid of the theatrical/television versions with a few bits tweaked (some of them not to my personal liking I have to say) and a few new effects thrown in.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
John H Ross said:
At the end of the day, the director's cut is merely a hybrid of the theatrical/television versions with a few bits tweaked (some of them not to my personal liking I have to say) and a few new effects thrown in.
No, at the end of the day the director's cut is Director Robert Wise's true version of the film. It's not some trivial anomaly like a television cut stitched together to help pad in some commercials.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Zack Gibbs said:
No, at the end of the day the director's cut is Director Robert Wise's true version of the film. It's not some trivial anomaly like a television cut stitched together to help pad in some commercials.
Oh I'm sure it was his "true" version - but in terms of the raw content/footage it didn't contain anything that isn't available in the other two versions.
Of the three versions I probably prefer the TV cut because it contained all the important missing scenes and didn't remove the cool stuff left out of the DC. I was quite happy with ST:TMP prior to 2000.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Dave Mack said:
edit: just did a google search. Apparently I am not alone in my opinion of that line reading.... This reviewer described it almost EXACTLY the way I did.
Well, I really don't care what everyone else thinks. I still believe it to be a convincing performance because I've seen actual reactions to a pretty bad accident by people, and it's not much different - the slight quiver in the voice, the almost blank stare and everything.
But I'll just leave that with - let's agree to disagree.
There is a lot of additional dialog and discussions that weren't in the theatrical cut that I do think should have been. It is nice that it was added back into the DC. Even a few scenes that weren't in the "special longer" version. So there is some new stuff in the DC that was never (at least to my knowledge) in any other cut.

Rolando

Screenwriter
dave...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Joel Fontenot said:
still believe it to be a convincing performance.
Me too!!
I always thought the controversy surrounding the line was because it referred to "God" and Star Trek has always steered away from religion of any kind - the theory being that there are so many different races in the Federation that there must be 1000001 religions and it really isn't worth going there! Hence there is never a mention of Christmas or anything like that.
This was, of course, until Star Trek 5 came along.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
John H Ross said:
I always thought the controversy surrounding the line was because it referred to "God" and Star Trek has always steered away from religion of any kind - the theory being that there are so many different races in the Federation that there must be 1000001 religions and it really isn't worth going there! Hence there is never a mention of Christmas or anything like that.
This was, of course, until Star Trek 5 came along.
Keep in mind, in the second season episode "Who Mourns For Adonais?", Kirk tells Apollo that mankind has grown beyond the need for gods and that "we find the one sufficient". You are right, though, that any religion in the 23rd Century has been boiled down to only its broadest, most universal constituents.
Oh, and don't forget, before STV, there was this line in THE WRATH OF KHAN: "The energizer's bypassed like a Christmas tree, so don't give me too many bumps."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks