What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Very poor decision to forego the Director's Cut; hell, Paramount has been working on the new TREK movie for awhile now and then they delayed its release half a year, so this Blu-ray release window sure as hell didn't just sneak up on Paramount. They've had plenty of time to get this right. I wish they'd just do individual releases of I-VI now; after seeing the DC of TMP, I can't see myself ever going back to the theatrical cut...

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Sounds great to me. I-- like most-- prefer the Directors Cut of TMP but the theatrical version was never even released on DVD so this is the first time it will have been made available in years. I'll hope for the Director's Cut down the line, and gladly get both.
In a way it almost gives me a little hope. If all Paramount did was re-render the DC scenes at 1080p then they may as have gone ahead and done it, it would be very quick, easy, and cheap to do given what Darren Dochterman as said on the subject. The problem with that is that some of the material they produced simply wasn't up to HD quality regardless of its resolution. The CGI model of the Enterprise for example simply won't hold up to that kind of scrutiny IMO.
And some of the new shots stick out like a sore thumb. Even simple things like the new credits and the digital matte paintings of starfleet headquarters look a bit cheap. I think if you're going to add new effects to a major motion picture, they should be motion picture quality. I hope if/when the directors cut comes to Blu they'll take to time to go back and make a few improvements , it's been nearly 10 years since they made it and they could easily do better today.
P.S., I'm also really looking forward to the Batmans. I can't believe Warner didn't get those out in December.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. For the new cgi shots to integrate well with those original miniature shots in hd they gotta look REALLY REALLY good. Please take as long as necessary to do that right. And for now I'll be glad to have the original version for posterity too.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm so used to the DC of The Motion Picture now I don't know how I'll react to the theatrical cut anymore. The last time I'd seen it was probably 20 years ago on cable and the last time I'd seen it in it's OAR was in '79 :eek:
Anyway disappointment over the lack of the DC aside it's great we're getting all the original crew films. :emoji_thumbsup:
Now CBS needs to get all 3 seasons of the original series out on Blu-ray NOW! :D Both the original and the HD redo f/x versions w/ seamless branching! Do it right this time CBS! ;)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Nelson Au said:
Trekmovie.com reports and clarifies the blu-ray news. All 6 Star Trek movies will be out in a box set in time for the JJ Abrams film. New masters for video and sound. Of course, this is still not officially confirmed, but sounds pretty likely.
Still no word which cut of Star Trek 6 will be remastered, theatrical or the home video version, or the last Directors Cut.
There's no word either on the second film - theatrical or the longer version.
Thank you Paramount for not rushing the Director's Cut for The Motion Picture (which I have no problems with double dipping later) and for including the theatrical. I hope the theatrical cuts for Star Trek II and VI will be included too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Zack, what specifically was so bad about the new CGI Enterprise? I thought the new effects looked quite good. There's probably only 2 or three long shots, one where the V'Ger energy bolts stop short of hitting the ship. The other shot was inside V'Ger heading towards the Voyager island and then the outside shot where Kirk and company walk on the saucer out to the V'Ger bridge.
Regarding the matte painting of Starfleet, I thought that was pretty good too. I'll pop the DVD in and look specifically at the Starfleet shots where Kirk's shuttle is flying towards it. The new Golden Gate Bridge looks quite good. The angle it was shot at, is very close to the view from an observation point near the bridge on the northern side of the bridge and I've been up there to look down on it. Pretty awesome sight!
JimK, I actually have the theatrical cut, plus the 12 minutes of added footage on the laserdisc for a total run time of 143 mins. This must be the first laserdisc of TMP. I bought it around 1989 for $39.95! It's code is LV 8858-2A.
Plus I have the widescreen laserdisc from 1991, as I'm sure many of you have. It was also in a box set called the Space Dock. The specs show it at 132 mins. So I bet this new blu-ray disc is based on that cut. Maybe even the mastering is from the same source. The audio was Dolby Pro Logic. I remember how cool it was to hear the sounds of V'Ger, when Kirk and crew discover the Voyager 6 craft, cracking in the rears.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I'm not happy about this. Top me the Director's Cut is a vastly superior film. The improvement was palpable.

Paramount is so damned cheap. Trek has made them oodles of money. Sorry, but this sucks.

And I am not EVER buying a box set because I despise Trek V with every fiber of my being. I really only want I, II and III.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really fail to see why everyone is so pissed off. It's not as if Paramount has said the DE will NOT be on BD at some point. They're deciding to lead with the ORIGINAL HISTORICAL THEATRICAL CUT. The same thing has been done for countless movies on DVD: put the theatrical out first and then the remaster/extended cut. It just happened to Waterworld for heaven sake.
If Bill had said Paramount is dead set against presenting the remastered version in high def, I'd be ready to hang them, too. But they're not pulling a Lucas and trying to bury anything. They are doing what should be done in the first place: preserving HISTORY with the ORIGINAL, UNALTERED cuts of the movie and then bringing out the new edition.

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly (although we really need the theatrical version of VI in there too!)

Does anyone know if there was anything more elaborate Robert Wise wanted to do for I in 2000 but wasn't able to at the time?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Alex, I'd argue this set and the first releases should be the original theatricals of all the films. Then, around Christmas, release standalone discs featuring the extended cuts of I, II and VI like what Warner did with Superman II.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I wonder if they'll record a new commentary for the original theatrical version. If they use the commentary for the Director's Edition, they might have to edit some of Robert Wise's comments (which appear to have been scripted in advance) that pertain only to the DE.

IMHO, they should bring in Robert Meyer Burnett (documentarian and director of Free Enterprise) and film/music historian Jeff Bond (who has recorded commentaries for many Fox titles and wrote a book several years ago called The Music of Star Trek).

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Sorry to take an alternate opinion from Jason V but there is absolutely no evidence that Paramount is "taking their time to do the Director's Edition properly" at all. We may never see the DE ever again, especially in light of Paramount's historical...ahem...thrifty nature...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Travis, the world would be dull if we all agreed with one another. :D
I tend to look at things in a glass half full approach: there's no evidence Paramount spent all the money to redo the effects only to let it languish on the shelf now. Dozens of other movies are available in both their original and refurbished forms, many with a lower pedigree than TMP.
Besides, even if the DE is relegated to the dust bin, the existing DVD copies are still usable, right?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
You'll see the DC again someday Travis. At the very least Paramount could spend pretty much nothing and just upscale the existing material into an HD print. That probably doesn't sound great to many but it's really not that big of a deal, I don't think there was more than a minute or so of new material, it's the editing of the film that mattered most.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
DC adjusted the pace/tempo of the theatrical cut. it is quite significant in changes of the cuts, not just extended new material itself.
i hope they release all of the films separately. i don't want to buy the crappy theatrical cut in a stupid box set =P. hopefully they do it like planet of the apes.,

John H Ross

Screenwriter
JediFonger said:
DC adjusted the pace/tempo of the theatrical cut. it is quite significant in changes of the cuts, not just extended new material itself.
i hope they release all of the films separately. i don't want to buy the crappy theatrical cut in a stupid box set =P. hopefully they do it like planet of the apes.,
There are many things I prefer about the theatrical cut. The opening credits for starters (hate the modernised credits on the DC). It's also important to bear in mind that Goldsmith crafted his score around a movie that was mostly devoid of sound effects, particularly beeps and whistles etc on the bridge. When it's placed against the new mix everything seems a little too crowded.
The only thing that, for me, stands out as awe-inspiringly improved about the DC is the opening shots on Vulcan. But the original shot looked just fine for the 20 years that I lived with it.
I'd love the DC at some point too - and the TV version for that matter - but I'm plenty happy that the theatrical version is coming.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just want II and VI -- and *maybe* IV -- along w/ First Contact, but I'm not a hardcore fan though. Presumably, they will come on separate releases even if the initial release is just the box set. I'm ok w/ waiting for that eventuality since I can't afford to rebuy every title of interest (not just this franchise) on BD in one big mad rush anyway. :P In fact, I may even wait until they release both theatrical and DC on the same release via seamless branching before I buy unless there's some big sale/discount or something. OTOH, maybe Paramount will decide to offer upgrade rebates for these films like they did for the Godfather Trilogy and make waiting (for big discounts) unnecessary -- sure hope that's the case.
_Man_

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I hope someone from Paramount is reading this thread and taking notes as the Bluray fans are usually the hardcore fans like me who buy this stuff (I bought all the videos, Laserdiscs & DVD's). Trek has never been mainstream always cult so relies on the hardcore fans to triple dip etc etc.

Star Trek 5 needs fixing urgently. The FX on DVD right now played on a HDMI upscaling player look really poor so 1080P will look even worse. Can you not get the guys @ CBS Digital who worked on TOS-HD to do something about it please as the movie deserves some love.

STMP I did not think the DE helped it at all apart from a few new CGI shots the movie had the exact same tone as before and still felt tired & cold like it always has. So I will buy it as is or whatever not bothered either way. Not sure if you guys on here know but Lowry Digital confirmed they worked on ST 4 & 8 giving them a partial restoration & degrain.

But ST5 really needs attention otherwise you will not be selling many copies and a $300-400 bluray boxed set is not exactly going to get many mainstream buyers is it!

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
300-400? Yikes. I was picturing a simple 6 disc set, not much more expensive than the 4 disc Godfather trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks