What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Britton said:
I am wondering about the status of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If I'm correct, the CGI effects for the Director's Edition were rendered in 480p. Any word on whether or not it's being redone in high def?
You are correct and we don't know yet. Darren Dochterman who did the new FX (and posts on Trekmovie.com) hasn't said anything new lately.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
The Digital Bits reports that the Star Trek films could be out in 2009, along with several other titles being prepared.
Which films and whether all 10 will be out, is not clear. It is likely the JJ Abrams Star Trek will be out on BD and SD.
A poster on the Trekmovie.com website comments that he wrote to Lowry Digital and got a reply back that they have done work on Treks 4 through 8. Here's a quote:
As for TOS or the other Star Trek series, those are under the control of CBS Home Entertainment. The 3 seasons of Star Trek TOS should be a no brainer and hopefully that will be out in 2009 as well.
TOS and the Original crew movies (I - VI) are pretty much all I want on Blu-ray. I'd also pick up First Contact but that's it for the next gen stuff.
But it figures that no works been done on TMP, Khan and Search for Spock since those are the three I want most. :frowning:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Thats the way i feel too Jim. My wants and yours are the same. But you know Paramount wont miss a trick, they will do the same for BD as DVD. We will get Nemesis first, and Trek II last. They always sell you worst to best.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
They can try to sell me Nemesis and the other crappy next gen movies Rick, but I'm not going to bite. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For grins, I checked Daren Dochterman's site in case he might have any updates. He has a forum and for Star Trek The Motion Picture, he's done a FAQ style post to answer all the common questions:
Yes, the work is ready to go for a Hi Def transfer.
No, he (and I assume a team) has not rendered anything in Hi Def yet.
Yes, he'd like to do the work on the Hi Def transfer.
No, he has not been asked yet to do it, or heard from the studio yet.
That post is almost a year old. I hope there is news and I don't doubt it will happen. Seems the love for Star Trek The Motion Picture grows more and more amongst the fan base.
And I'm sure the studio knows it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
They always sell you worst to best.
While I would normally agree with you, it would appear that we have the advantage of a new Star Trek movie featuring the original crew this time around. That's the only crew I have any interest in, but, watch, Paramount will still only release the odd numbered Star Treks on BD first. :laugh:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Prolly just an oversight on Bill's part, but he didn't mention ST VI. As long as Paramount releases them in the box AND separate, I have zero problem with this.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What! Theatrical cut of Star Trek The Motion Picture is said to be released, not the Robert Wise rework done in 2001.
This is good news to promote the JJ Abrams film release, so that might mean release dates near May? And good for those who wanted to have the theatrical cut in addition to the Director Cut. I see double dips though for at least TMP.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe they won't spend a little coin and get the director's cut of TMP up to HD speed. a shame.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the time needed to get the Directors Cut with new CGI of TMP redone in HD will be longer then they have before May.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nelson Au said:
Perhaps the time needed to get the Directors Cut with new CGI of TMP redone in HD will be longer then they have before May.
That's my thought as well, Nelson. We don't know when this project started or how long it would take to re-render the effects. So Paramount decides to put the theatrical cut out there (no doubt with a "never on disc" marketing campaign) in order to get the DE ready to go for Christmas to tie in with the release of the new movie on disc.
I won't mind double dipping at all.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The new effects having been rendered in SD notwithstanding, I've always assumed that the eventual release of the director's cut on Blu-ray was a given, and have been concerned that the theatrical version would never be released. It was never released on DVD, was it? I haven't even seen the movie, so I don't prefer one cut over the other, but it's important to me that a DVD or Blu-ray release of a movie that has multiple versions actually includes the multiple versions, or at least that they're available, even if it's on separate releases. So I'm happy to see the theatrical cut of Star Trek being released on Blu-ray. I'd prefer it included the director's cut as well, but I'm still confident that we'll see the director's cut released eventually. Now I know that the theatrical version will be available as well, which I certainly wouldn't have taken for granted.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
My first reaction was, "I don't like it. I don't like it one bit." On the other hand, it would be nice to have the original theatrical version on HD for posterity and if Paramount wants to take their time to redo the new FX, then I'm all for that.

Britton

Screenwriter
My wish would have been for TMP to be given the Blade Runner treatment as others have brought up on this thread, but I am glad that the theatrical release will be available because I prefer the sound effects of the original as opposed to the redone ones for the DE.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Dave Mack said:
I can't believe they won't spend a little coin and get the director's cut of TMP up to HD speed. a shame.
C'mon Dave, this is Paramount we're talking about... the same penny-pinching company that created the effects in SD in the first place!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Trekmovie.com reports and clarifies the blu-ray news. All 6 Star Trek movies will be out in a box set in time for the JJ Abrams film. New masters for video and sound. Of course, this is still not officially confirmed, but sounds pretty likely.
Still no word which cut of Star Trek 6 will be remastered, theatrical or the home video version, or the last Directors Cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks