What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Nelson Au said:
It would be interesting if someone would finance the FX to do Star Trek 5 the way Shatner wanted. It's still possible, there's still time and I bet Shatner is willing to help!
I agree. Many of the problems with Star Trek 5 seem to have been a direct result of the studio cutting the budget and Shatner having to compromise. It would be nice of them to let him go back and reconstruct as much of his original vision as possible.
Doug

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
When I saw The Final Frontier a few months ago for the first time, I found it to be nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be with one exception, that of course being the visual effects. Understanding what limitations there were, hiring a smaller effects house far away from the film's production and without the appropriate budget and timeline, it's certainly not Shatner's fault at all. I really enjoyed his film.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I would love to see a BD set of all of the movies released but shudder when I think about how much it would cost!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
It would be interesting if someone would finance the FX to do Star Trek 5 the way Shatner wanted. It's still possible, there's still time and I bet Shatner is willing to help!
Agreed. Considering all the money Shatner has made Paramount over the years it's only right.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is that nagging part in the back of my head that says that doing Star Trek V Shatner's way is just polishing a turd, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious to see what may have been.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just read his memoir and his whole take on the film. Must've been very frustrating. I mean, maybe his vision wouldn't have been great but at least let him make it correctly. It would also be a great marketing gimmick.
"AT LAST! The director's TRUE vision..."
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
To his credit Shatner has always accepted his share of the blame for STV, and rightly so. It was his first film and he didn't quite know what he was doing. There are problems with every film, studios always try to interfere; dealing with these issues and seeing your vision through to the end is just part of the job.
The effects are a perfect example, STV had the highest Trek budget since TMP. "We didn't have ILM" is not a reasonable excuse, even back then.
We all know the Captain is responsible for the actions of the crew under his command. ;)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I wrote a letter to Paramount some time back (and I might have signed a petition too, but I don't remember) to allow William Shatner to do a "Director's Edition" for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I would be open to one (as long as they also include the original theatrical cut).

And I hope we'll see "Enterprise" start being release next year.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
ChrisCook said:
And I hope we'll see "Enterprise" start being release next year.
Ya know, I'm not a fan of Enterprise, but if it was on BD with good quality and all that jazz (and not insanely priced...), I'd buy them. I wouldn't have to think much about it, actually.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
ChrisCook said:
I wrote a letter to Paramount some time back (and I might have signed a petition too, but I don't remember) to allow William Shatner to do a "Director's Edition" for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I would be open to one (as long as they also include the original theatrical cut).
I'm wondering if Paramount would be able to get ILM to loan them the rock man creature from Galaxy Quest.

On a different note, I read a review of the new Star Trek Alternate Realities set and it looks like they were able to get director David Carson to do an audio commentary for "Yesterday's Enterprise." I hope they kept him around for a couple hours to record one for Generations (the only Trek movie without a director commentary, though the Moore/Braga track more than makes up for it).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
So the last intel on the Trek movies on BD was back in March. Nothing since then?
How about TOS? Loved the HD DVD set of Season 1. Still no plans for BD sets?
I guess next year is the year to release these on BD given the new movie tie-in.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Bits reports that the Star Trek films could be out in 2009, along with several other titles being prepared.

Which films and whether all 10 will be out, is not clear. It is likely the JJ Abrams Star Trek will be out on BD and SD.

A poster on the Trekmovie.com website comments that he wrote to Lowry Digital and got a reply back that they have done work on Treks 4 through 8. Here's a quote:
“”Thanks for the note. Although these are not “full restorations”, which can be cost prohibitive, we know they’ll be significantly improved. Hope you like them.

Alan Silvers

Director/Business Development

Lowry Digital
As for TOS or the other Star Trek series, those are under the control of CBS Home Entertainment. The 3 seasons of Star Trek TOS should be a no brainer and hopefully that will be out in 2009 as well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I read the same thing last night, Nelson, and while I can appreciate Paramount wanting to get some of these out to coincide with the new movie, I can't see any scenario where more than two of the classic films get on BD next year. Maybe 3, if you include the new movie. It would be flooding the market the product...not to mention massively expensive for us.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Jason_V said:
I read the same thing last night, Nelson, and while I can appreciate Paramount wanting to get some of these out to coincide with the new movie, I can't see any scenario where more than two of the classic films get on BD next year. Maybe 3, if you include the new movie. It would be flooding the market the product...not to mention massively expensive for us.
I don't see how it's any different from releasing over 20 James Bond movies within a year. I could easily see them releasing 5 in may and 5 in the fall for instance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, If Paramount does what they did before, then they could release one film every 2 or 3 months. But if that quote from Lowry is true, they they could be putting priority for the popular Star Trek The Voyage Home and First Contact to come first, but I prefer chronological order. I'd much rather see them out as either a complete set with JJ Abrams Star Trek included or 2 sets over several months as Zack suggested, or they could come out as individuals after the set is released.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And I'd have zero problem with forking over the money to get them all. But-again, personal opinion-I'd think from a marketing perspective, Paramount would want to space them out over the course of two years for a steady revenue stream. This is BD, after all, and not DVD, which was already "old" by the time the 2 disc SE's of the films hit.
All that being said, as soon as they're on the shelf, they're mine. End of story.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Is there any way to find out which version they did for the sixth film? If we're not getting multiple versions, either the original theatrical cut (or even the longer VHS version) would be fine.

"Nemesis" is the only one I don't want, so starting with the more popular ones doesn't bother me. It also gives them more time to work on "The Motion Picture".

And on a slightly off-topic note: I'm disappointed that Albert Finney’s Scrooge wasn't listed in Bill Hunt's "Rumor Mill", but I'm looking forward to a possible release for "The Ten Commandments" in 2009.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
It wouldn't surprise me if they release the later films first simply because (in theory) they require less work. I say let them take their time on the earlier films. As long as all the features from the SE DVDs are included, I'm ready to upgrade.

Britton

Screenwriter
I am wondering about the status of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If I'm correct, the CGI effects for the Director's Edition were rendered in 480p. Any word on whether or not it's being redone in high def?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks