What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
I also saw TMP on a large screen back in 1979 and again in 1982 for Star Trek 2. The fly over of the Enterprise could be called the love letter to the fans too. And I think Wise and Roddenberry wanted to really show how immense the ship is.The only laughter during the film I heard about, was from my friend who saw the first showing of the day in a theater in San Francisco and one of the print critics laughed when Kirk first sees the Enterprise after the shuttle makes the turn. The goofy look on his face I guess which is obscured now in the DC.
I would love to see The Motion Picture Director's Cut in the theater. I know it was on the table or being planned for a while during the time the Director's Cut was being completed.

2016 would be a great year to do a limited run of the TOS films in the theater.

I am also hopeful about the classic Trek films getting new transfers in 2016.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Regarding the blue shift on Wrath of Khan (and I apologize if this has already been addressed in this thread)...

Has anyone else noticed that on the Blu-ray, when Kirk first appears in the simulator room at the beginning of the film, you can pretty clearly see his face before the lights behind him are shut off? Before, it was a fairly striking, iconic silhouette against the backlight, and now it looks like a smeary mistake.

I don't think this is due to the increase in resolution, as I've seen this film projected a couple of times, and the silhouette was correct on the prints. Would this have to do with the blue shift, or is my set just mis-calibrated?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Also first saw TMP on the big screen, although at a drive in, but still finally seeing the Enteprise as huge as it should be really wowed the whole family. The pacing may feel slow today, but at the time (at least for me) it was one epic adventure and I wasn't in any hurry for it to be over.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Bryan Tuck said:
Regarding the blue shift on Wrath of Khan (and I apologize if this has already been addressed in this thread)...

Has anyone else noticed that on the Blu-ray, when Kirk first appears in the simulator room at the beginning of the film, you can pretty clearly see his face before the lights behind him are shut off? Before, it was a fairly striking, iconic silhouette against the backlight, and now it looks like a smeary mistake.

I don't think this is due to the increase in resolution, as I've seen this film projected a couple of times, and the silhouette was correct on the prints. Would this have to do with the blue shift, or is my set just mis-calibrated?
Well, I may have answered my own question. I dug out my old DVD, and you actually can see Shatner's face in that shot. However, there's a more neutral, natural-looking shadow over it, so it doesn't stand out as much. On the Blu-ray, it's a strange, blue shadow that makes his face look more "smeary." Strange decision.

Good to hear about Bill Hunt's conversation with Paramount. I do hope that if we get new BDs of the original films, that they would include all the different versions of 1, 2, & 6, along with the original 2-channel soundtracks. I would probably be okay without the network version of #2, since the director's cut is essentially a polished version of that (maybe they could include the alternate turbolift scene as an extra).

I'm sure there would be some to-do over the aspect ratio for #6, as well. I personally prefer the 2.35:1 framing, so I hope that's kept.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Bryan Tuck said:
Well, I may have answered my own question. I dug out my old DVD, and you actually can see Shatner's face in that shot. However, there's a more neutral, natural-looking shadow over it, so it doesn't stand out as much. On the Blu-ray, it's a strange, blue shadow that makes his face look more "smeary." Strange decision.

Good to hear about Bill Hunt's conversation with Paramount. I do hope that if we get new BDs of the original films, that they would include all the different versions of 1, 2, & 6, along with the original 2-channel soundtracks. I would probably be okay without the network version of #2, since the director's cut is essentially a polished version of that (maybe they could include the alternate turbolift scene as an extra).

I'm sure there would be some to-do over the aspect ratio for #6, as well. I personally prefer the 2.35:1 framing, so I hope that's kept.
Perhaps, my mind is playing tricks on me, but isn't it technically possible to pick an aspect ratio on Blu-ray.
I could have sworn there was a Blu-ray I watched where the menu asked me the ratio I wanted.
It would simply open or close the mat at the top and bottom so the viewer could choose between 2.00:1 and 2.35:1

Is that possible?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I've never seen that. Unless there were 2 versions of the movie on the disc (like Touch of Evil) or just zooming the picture. But I've never heard of being able to open a mat up on disc.Might be a way to make more folks happy though.......

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Although it bears little resemblance in many ways to TOS (except for ripping off one of its episode's storylines), TMP has a certain level of grandeur that still makes it enjoyable for me to watch. It gives me that sense of mystery and wonder that space films used to have, but have rapidly lost. Again, it's more of a pseudo-Star Trek film, an alternate adventure tale starring key ST characters rather than a genuine Trek movie.

I'm happy enough with the cut we already have on disc.
Camper said:
Perhaps, my mind is playing tricks on me, but isn't it technically possible to pick an aspect ratio on Blu-ray.
I could have sworn there was a Blu-ray I watched where the menu asked me the ratio I wanted.
It would simply open or close the mat at the top and bottom so the viewer could choose between 2.00:1 and 2.35:1

Is that possible?
I doubt this has ever occurred. Blu-ray discs are encoded with a 1920x1080 image in its entirety, including any black bars (which are embedded in the image), to prevent any image quality loss from rescaling. If different aspect ratio options are offered on a disc, it would require different files for each ratio. The standard practice if you want different ratios is to use the zoom function on your TV.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Joel Fontenot said:
Count me as another fan of the shuttle-around-the-Enterprise sequence in TMP. Seeing that on the big screen back in '79 was just awesome for the 14-year-old that I was at the time. It's still one of my favorite scenes - I'm glad Wise didn't decide to trim that. Although, to be honest, I wonder how much say Wise really had with everything on the DE. I'm sure he had a good bit of input, but to me, it still seems like Mike Matessino had some influence as there are some edit choices I don't care for at all, but were minor things that were supposedly the ire of many members of trek forums for years.
I remember watching one of the featurettes on the Director's Edition DVD concerning the new (and final) cut and, if memory serves, I recall either Robert Wise or Matessino saying that they had briefly considered trimming a few seconds from the "shuttle-round-Enterprise" sequence, but instead decided to leave it mostly intact, because they wanted to preserve as much of Jerry Goldsmith's score for that sequence as possible.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
rayman1701 said:
Also first saw TMP on the big screen, although at a drive in, but still finally seeing the Enteprise as huge as it should be really wowed the whole family. The pacing may feel slow today, but at the time (at least for me) it was one epic adventure and I wasn't in any hurry for it to be over.
I re-watched TMP last night (projected at 100"), with a thought toward revisiting my reactions to it when it was new in 1979. They really did manage to give it a huge sense of scale that was remarkable at the time. I recall thinking that the engine room was amazing compared to what we had seen on the small screen. The huge number of extras befitting the population of that big ship. Watching it now, I so appreciate that they did not use CRT displays. I know that caused lots of problems on the set, but IMO using CRTs really dates a futuristic movie. A friend and I watched Alien the other night and those CRTs really stood out. I mean it's only 2014 and who has even seen a CRT in the last 5 years?

Although Wise was not entirely happy with the special effects, and some are somewhat lacking, nonetheless, the whole time I was really astonished at what they achieved given the time pressure they were under. Those special effects guys worked hard and I felt very appreciative of their efforts. I also listened more critically last night and the sound of the Blu-ray is wonderful IMO. It seemed very immersive. I don't have a really strong memory of the sound from 1979, except that I loved the music.

Speaking of the music, I recall being surprised that they used a new theme. I recall that my heart soared when we first heard the fanfare from TOS. That, along with being startled by the appearance of The Klingons, told me that this was a new Star Trek, familiar characters but a new universe, so to speak.

I recall the feeling I had when Scott and Kirk are in the shuttle and Scott tells Kirk he will have the Enterprise ready to launch on schedule and then touches Kirk's shoulder. It was like all the camaraderie of the series expressed in that moment. A small touch I noticed back then that I still love is when the Enterprise launches, an astronaut in a space suit does a somersault, a small thing but clever. I recall the clingy, tight uniforms gave my teenage libido a little jolt. ;)

Watching it now, I love that Wise gave us the time to get a look at things. I know some find the movie slow, but I love that aspect of it. It was a chance to absorb the grandness and newness of it. The series was constrained by the one hour TV format, but the film could flow more leisurely and I thinks it adds to the feeling that you are there with them, experiencing the events as they happen. I probably like this movie more than a lot of fans do, and I love WOT and others, too, but this one holds a special place for me. I hadn't watched it in a while, and I really enjoyed it last night.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've been listening to the 3 disc La La Land Star Trek The Motion Picture soundtrack quite a bit lately. It would be cool to use the unused early cues on the blu ray as an alternate way to view the scenes that were scored. Kind of like they did on Hitchcock's Torn Curtain.

Just a thought.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Jason_V said:
Really? So just because you're a fan of something (in this case, Trek), you can't criticize it? Or there's only a certain amount you can criticize?
Just to respond to this, I realise that when people get together they like to argue over stuff. That's just how we are. Besides, fans naturally need something to do in between studio announcements :>).

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
At least, we're fans of a franchise that's a serious cash-cow. As a contrast, fans of the British Sci-Fi TV classic "Space: 1999" (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/286836-space-1999/?st=0) have been waiting almost 4 years to complete their Blu-ray collection (of a 2-season series) (The first Blu release was in 2010) and, according to HTF's Kevin EK, apparently will be waiting at least one more year.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
bryan4999 said:
I re-watched TMP last night (projected at 100"), with a thought toward revisiting my reactions to it when it was new in 1979. They really did manage to give it a huge sense of scale that was remarkable at the time. I recall thinking that the engine room was amazing compared to what we had seen on the small screen. The huge number of extras befitting the population of that big ship. Watching it now, I so appreciate that they did not use CRT displays. I know that caused lots of problems on the set, but IMO using CRTs really dates a futuristic movie. A friend and I watched Alien the other night and those CRTs really stood out. I mean it's only 2014 and who has even seen a CRT in the last 5 years?

Although Wise was not entirely happy with the special effects, and some are somewhat lacking, nonetheless, the whole time I was really astonished at what they achieved given the time pressure they were under. Those special effects guys worked hard and I felt very appreciative of their efforts. I also listened more critically last night and the sound of the Blu-ray is wonderful IMO. It seemed very immersive. I don't have a really strong memory of the sound from 1979, except that I loved the music.

Speaking of the music, I recall being surprised that they used a new theme. I recall that my heart soared when we first heard the fanfare from TOS. That, along with being startled by the appearance of The Klingons, told me that this was a new Star Trek, familiar characters but a new universe, so to speak.

I recall the feeling I had when Scott and Kirk are in the shuttle and Scott tells Kirk he will have the Enterprise ready to launch on schedule and then touches Kirk's shoulder. It was like all the camaraderie of the series expressed in that moment. A small touch I noticed back then that I still love is when the Enterprise launches, an astronaut in a space suit does a somersault, a small thing but clever. I recall the clingy, tight uniforms gave my teenage libido a little jolt. ;)

Watching it now, I love that Wise gave us the time to get a look at things. I know some find the movie slow, but I love that aspect of it. It was a chance to absorb the grandness and newness of it. The series was constrained by the one hour TV format, but the film could flow more leisurely and I thinks it adds to the feeling that you are there with them, experiencing the events as they happen. I probably like this movie more than a lot of fans do, and I love WOT and others, too, but this one holds a special place for me. I hadn't watched it in a while, and I really enjoyed it last night.
Watching TMP on a projection set-up really gives a certain appreciation of the scale of what they achieved with this movie.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I know its slightly OT but look at the effort CBS put into that Twin Peaks Bluray boxed set which Paramount is distributing worldwide & getting strong pre-orders on via amazon. They went back to the archives pulled a load of rare stuff did HD masters of a TV show then committed to pressing a large number of blurays & selling for a high price in this economic climate!

Star Trek TOS movies have a much larger fanbase why does no--one @ Paramount comprehend this & do something about it :rolleyes: they have so much material in their own vaults or @ ILM which has never been seen outside of the original post production crew!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paul_Warren said:
I know its slightly OT but look at the effort CBS put into that Twin Peaks Bluray boxed set which Paramount is distributing worldwide & getting strong pre-orders on via amazon. They went back to the archives pulled a load of rare stuff did HD masters of a TV show then committed to pressing a large number of blurays & selling for a high price in this economic climate!

Star Trek TOS movies have a much larger fanbase why does no--one @ Paramount comprehend this & do something about it :rolleyes: they have so much material in their own vaults or @ ILM which has never been seen outside of the original post production crew!
Agreed.
Also there is press kit material for the films that was sent out to tv stations. I have them for 5 up to Nemesis. I'm sure there was ones for TMP, TWOK, TSFS and the TVH as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For fun, I was watching a few scenes in TMP last night. And if we were to for fun imagine being the editor sitting next to Robert Wise, what scene would we cut or trim for the DC?One scene I thought of was when Kirk tells Sonak he's headed to the Enterprise and then we cut to the orbital office. There are those long shots of the model from a few angles. After years if watching, it's clear those are shots the effects team made so they could pick what to use. But they edited them together before they were adjusted for time. I think they could have just shown the office in orbit for a few seconds, then cut to the close up of the office window we see the transporter where Kirk beams in to meet Scotty. Because there's Goldsmith music there, maybe eliminate that bit of music. But I could hear it's possible to edit the music to work. What do you guys think? What else?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's a very good point and I had thought of that too. Those orbital shots of the office complex establishes the location and size and activity of those shuttles around it. I bet many other films were influenced by it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Watching original version with Dolby Stereo mix on Laserdisc transferred to DVD-RW on the projector. I like the massiveness of the shuttle pod moving around the Enterprise.

I'm not keen of the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 remix as it has several sound effect and dialogue issue/mistakes and I prefer original mixes.

Scotty, over intercom on stage right, just before Enterprise goes to warp speed. The voices echoes and sounds annoying and distracting. Also a single sound effect as been removed when Kirk, gives Sulu, orders to bring Enterprise "500 meters" above intruder and pressing a button on the helm that should sound on stage left, but its missing.

The laserdisc is where I get the 1979 flashback as all the sound is there and even the matrix surround is a great one for its time, like when the kirk and others exit the saucer with V'ger electrical energy lighting striking across LCR and around on the surrounds, wow that is one many cool scenes in the film and Jerry Goldsmith score is fantastic.

If I was using the laserdisc, I don't mind disc change with disc 2, as the player is auto reverse Pioneer DVL-909, but the transfer is decent enough and the Onkyo TX SR-875 up-scales to projector so I'm pleased.
Colour tones I like skin colours and all the blinking coloured lights on the bridge. The scope width thou its cropped with small degree over the bluray, but I'm not grumbling at least its got a gritty and not some superDNR to make me think it was filmed yesterday. I'd prefer f they kept scratches and reel change dots intact at least it would make believe its 35mm. :D

10453474_10152512547870149_8487405407887740336_n.jpg

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Paul_Warren said:

My guess is they know it's going to sell, so they don't bother going way out of their way to improve things, until maybe some special anniversary (for the film/s or the studio) comes up. It was no different back in the days of VHS. Paramount's 100th anniversary has come and gone, so our best bet has to be either 2016 (the franchise's official 50th anniversary) or, in the case of ST:TMP, this year (35th anniversary in Dec.). (If one counts the original TOS pilot, then this year is technically the 50th anniv. However, unless it's the wife's birthday, "technically" hardly matters these days :)). Also, I believe a different division handles the films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks