What's new

Star Trek Enterprise and Braga comments (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Caught an article the other day on Trekweb saying the Braga and other producers approached Shatner to play Kirks Grandfather on Enterprise.
Though I dont have the proof, I had joked last year that friends that as soon as the ratings tank and they were out of ideas they would try and ratings stunt like this.
luckily Shatner declined.

Also was reading an article at the newsstand yesterday with a past writer of Voyager and DS9, Bryan Fuller I believe, who said that while DS9 was a good experience, Voyager WAS NOT because the powers that be were unwilling to let them write intersting story archs on the show or have the characters evolve (with the exception of Seven and The Doctor). Things would happen to the characters but he said magically, by episodes end the magical rest buttom was hit.

We are getting much of the same, because the same people are in charage, on Enterprise.
Now after years they are finally willing to do story archs.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Now after years they are finally willing to do story archs.
So what? It just means

[pessimist]

that a story which would have taken an hour to suck will now extend for weeks!

[/pessimist]

Seriously, this is a bad thing. Where before, Shiban, Sussman, Strong, and Black could occasionally sneak something nifty in there, going to a more serialized structure means B&B are going to have even more direct control over the show's writing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've heard this weekend that the Voyager's crew's nickname for "7 of 9" was "36 of D".
Which is really tremendously unfair - sure, there's a good chance Jeri Ryan was cast primarily for her measurements, but she was also (DWFP alert) the best actor in the cast.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was just a joke, and just part of the other tidbit, that Jeri Ryan had to be stitched into her tight "7 of 9" outfit, so among the crew, you could see how the nickname would emerge.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Damning With Faint Praise?

Jeri Ryan is so gorgeous that it almost made me forget how awful the episodes were.

Almost.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Mike's got it; I type that phrase so often in Star Trek threads that it seemed ripe for acronymification.

(or is the word acronymization?)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
that a story which would have taken an hour to suck will now extend for weeks!
Hmm, I never thought of it like that but unless the third season gets really good reviews and positive critical praise from people other than fanboys, I wont be tuning in because, the same people are still at the Helm.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
a story which would have taken an hour to suck will now extend for weeks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, I never thought of it like that
Ah. Haven't been watching Buffy the last few years, I take it? :)

(Although, to be fair, Buffy's problem was more along the lines of stretching a 10-week story to 22 episodes. Still, it does illustrate the perils of excessive serialization)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks