What's new

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 10/01/'03: "Rajiin" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
episode title: "Rajiin"
episode: #56
original airdate: October 1, 2003
writers: Brent V. Friedman & Chris Black
story: Paul Brown (III) & Brent V. Friedman
director: Mike Vejar
synopsis: "The NX-01 gets closer to a showdown with the Xindi when Captain Archer takes on an enigmatic passenger: a beautiful slave named Rajiin."
Notes: Originally titled "Enemy Advances".

"No comment."

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Has anyone else in Kansas City had trouble with Time Warner during Enterprize? Each week, the reception has been so bad that Tivo decides that there is no signal, and stops recording.

I check on the antenna tv last week, and the reception was fine, so it must be a Time Warner problem.

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
I so the show today I would call it a good episode.I would call the episode no friends.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Julian Reville wrote (post #3):

That should read: "This looks like a scenario that, in its outline and (probably) in most of its details, has been played out so many times before in Trek history that I'll leave it to others to point it out. Therefore, 'No comment' (for now)."

In other words, do I need to?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Latest episode :emoji_thumbsup:

A weak first half, but the second half more than made up for it. The plot was predictable, but they're much better at the action/suspense sequences this season, and it makes all the difference.

They're definitely building up a decent story arc here.

And the slime weapon was particularly cool.

edited to remove spoiler tags

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I had an interesting experiance during this episode. I had a friend stop by to watch Smallville and Angel with me, since only one of my TiVo's is functioning at the moment that ment I had to watch Star Trek live while the other shows recorded. Anyway, it was interesting to see his reaction to the new direction to the new season's story arc.

His first comment when the captured alien wouldn't give out any information was basically "why is she even worried, it is not like the star trek guy is going to torture her"...which is exactly what happened last week and helped make this weeks episode more suspensful.

He made a few other comments that were actually covered by previous episode plot points and I have to say that in the process of explaining things to him as the episode went on, I realized that they are doing a pretty good job so far. It was like I took off my jaded glasses and put on some clear contacts or something. I am definately excited about the new direction the show is taking and looking forward to the next episode.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else in Kansas City had trouble with Time Warner during Enterprize? Each week, the reception has been so bad that Tivo decides that there is no signal, and stops recording.
Randy, happens to me too.. I use their DVR (slightly altered) and have run into the same type of problem.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
After watching Enterprise tonight it definitly feels like there's a lot of sexual tension between everyone. It's only a matter of time before Trip gets together with T'Pol.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Remember when Enterprise first came on and the producers said one of the crew would be gay, but they wouldn't tell which one? I think we got a clue tonight. And I don't mean T'Pol.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good episode, continuing to expose more of the Xindi plot. I knew there was more to that girl then the silly preview suggests.

Points given for the continued use of the special effects group, the aerial view of the alien sea city was great, and the otherworldly feel of that city interior set was also well done.

I liked the use of the new music and the composer gave the sequence when Rajiin "scanned" Archer a very retro-Classic Trek feel. To my ears, very reminesent of the best of Season One and Two of Classic Trek. The older music was getting generic and left over from the Next Gen days.

The Xindi seem to be getting desperate and a possible mistake on their part. One the otherhand, the bio-weapon was an interesting twist. I suspect we may see Rajiin again, unless they do away with her.

Also I like the small continuity bit with Archer's skin rash. And the exchange of the spices for the formula to make the techno-whatever to coat the hull was humorous. But I don't recall Archer meeting that alien in a past show.

Not sure I agree with the earlier suggestion of who a gay character could be, if such a thing was to occurr in Enterprise, that character in the past had a fling with the opposite sex.

Nelson

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Reception was fine on Time Warner in Lenexa.

Overall the episode was not bad. The floating city actually reminded me of real SF! I was disappointed with Enterprise last season and eventually stopped watching regularly, but so far this season I'm still interested.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Unfortunatly, I missed the second half, since Cox went out here...

Remember when Enterprise first came on and the producers said one of the crew would be gay, but they wouldn't tell which one? I think we got a clue tonight. And I don't mean T'Pol.
Heh, I think I know what you are talking about. When the slave merchant asked Archer how he could resist Rajiin, I yelled out, "Because he's gay!" :D

Jason

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I started to watch this last night, but I just couldn't hack it past the latest T'Pol/Trip massage scene (replete with the references to "people talking" about Trip's nocturnal visits to T'Pol's quarters). There was a PBS documentary about the FBI that I wanted to watch instead. I'll try again on Sunday. If I feel like it.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
With the show switching to a serial style to emphasize the story arc, it has gotten more interesting, I would not necessarily say better. I don't really think improvements in the music or special effects are "improvements" with all the money they have to spend on this show, those should be a given.

But with the Xindi council showing up in every episode, this is not the usual star trek fair (not a bad thing). This show is indeed becoming more retro as Nelson pointed out, but to me, IMO this show has more of an approach similar to the original Buck Rogers serials (not that 80's series). Here we have the heroes (Enterprise), approaching the mad scientists (the Xindi) trying to stop them from using their evil "death ray" on the planet Earth. The show has them getting closer and closer to the mad scientist's headquarters. Sound familar? Its almost like those B&W holodeck shows on Voyager with Paris, but that was an attempt at humor, this series is not, but still the Buck Rogers type formula is there. But like I said, this is not a bad thing - the show definitely shows some improvements in the storyline, but like I said, its not really Star Trek in the familiar sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks