What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think Kevin EK is right about this for now.

The tweet was a tease, but didn't actually promise anything.

But my wishful thinking that they'll rebuild DS9 is based on the hunch that they'll want to make this a money maker for the next few decades. They'll also probably want to honor Star Trek's 50th anniversary.

And think of it this way: to make a show like this today would cost at least $3 million an episode. Multiply that by the 176 episodes made and you get around $500 million. Again, it may just be wishful thinking, but I don't think that they're going to leave half a billion dollars of sci fi programming with a proven fan base in the SD era—when for tiny fraction of that cost they can make it look brand-new.

But I admit I could be wrong about this. In any case, we'll all find out sometime this year, I imagine.

I honestly could see it going either way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I realize that there's many factors at play (like cost, the companies involved and future syndication possibilities) but if Fox is releasing The X-Files, I can't believe that there's a Star Trek series that CBS/Paramount wouldn't release. I'm a massive fan of The X-Files but I don't think for a minute that it would outsell even the least popular Trek series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Kevin EK said:
If CBS really were working on DS9 or Voyager right now, they wouldn't make a secret of it. They would openly promote it.
Maybe that's what they were doing.

I continue to see this as good news. And as the folks from TV Shows on DVD pointed out, if they were so off base with their report that DS9 might be coming on blu-ray, CBS likely would have corrected them by now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I remember in 2006 at a Star Trek convention celebrating the 40th Anniversary, there was a video preview of TOS in HD with the CGI work and it was promoted as being done to preserve the series in HD and for use on HD broadcasts. No word then of blu rays or HD-DVD. So the tweet about DS9 first look on the Season 6 blu ray of TNG could be as TVshowsonDVD thinks, it's a preview of the station seen on a TNG episode. Or it's a first look at what's to come. I'm not quite betting the farm, but I'm feeling there is a very good chance of seeing DS9 and Voyager on blu ray and not just upconverted. These last two series and Enterprise may not have had TNG popularity, but they do have a good fan base. I'm feeling positive the last two spin-off series will have proper HD remastering and come home on blu ray. If not downloads by that time. And I hope TAS too. :)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I do think DS9 will be given the same treatment in HD as the other have been provided so far. It is just a matter of time. However, I believe this is nothing more than a reference to the episode in season six that contains DS9 as part of the story line. If it was any more than that, I think it would be stated more clearly.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I firmly believe CBS is referring to a teaser on TNG's Sixth Season set for either ST:DS9 season one in HD or, more likely, an HD sampler disc (similar to the one I reviewed here for TNG) that could test the waters for a more expansive full series release.

And since in their tweet they refer to it is "first look at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and not simply "deep space nine in HD," to me they are referring to the series itself and not just a specific episode.

Hopefully my logic is more than wishful thinking. But as soon as I get the review set for TNG:S6, I'll let you know what it is (if word isn't out before then) :)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just my take, but if they were considering a DS9 sampler disk I would think they would just come out and stated it as a separate announcement then relating it to a sixth season release of TNG. I also think the sampler disk concept did it's job for TNG to gauge interest in the later series. They should now have enough information based on TNG and Enterprise sales to make a call. I think relating it to this release where DS9 is included within an episode is just a quick and easy headline to throw at Trek and DS9, in particular fans, nothing more. We will just have to sit back now and wait and see.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Sam Favate said:
Sorry guys, but if all they were talking about was the view of the space station from the season 6 TNG episode, it wouldn't say "first look." The reason being that we already had our first look in the TNG season 6 blu-ray trailer.

http://trekmovie.com/2014/03/06/tng-season-6-and-chain-of-command-blu-ray-trailers/
A trailer to the season 6 TNG release that we are talking about. To me this link just enhances the view that it is just referring to the episodes contained within this season. Trekcore may have posted the trailer, but the "official" first look could easily be interpreted as the release itself. This just goes to show how individually we can come to different conclusions from the same information.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If CBS decides to spend the funds to take DS9 or Voyager to blu-ray with all that entails, their publicity will not consist of a single tweet. You'd see a full announcement and various statements coming from the Okudas, Ron Moore, etc.. This would be an extremely expensive project.I'll be very happy to see if they eventually make blu-rays of these shows, but all I'm seeing from that tweet is promotion for a TNG blu-ray and a hint that they could do more with DS9.We should keep in mind that when they promote the final TNG season later this year, we will see the DS9 question directly asked and answered. Until then, it's all just speculation.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It looks like DS9 is maybe now "going off the radar" at CBS. At least that's how I interpret this post by a source with apparently some inside knowledge from Trekcore:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=9638500&postcount=358
Re: DS9 on blu ray?

Guys - for clarification - the CBS tweet was referring to the first appearance of the STATION in high definition in "Birthright". It was by no means meant to indicate a DS9 Remastering is imminent... it was poorly worded.

The standard line of information that you've seen repeatedly from us is that DS9 is a huge project, very complicated, but CBS are considering all options.

I feel the need to be a bit clearer about this as some fans have started to predict that DS9 could follow hot on the heals of TNG early next year. The reality is that getting such a project off the ground for a seamless transition from TNG is now VERY unlikely. There has been no green light, and with the speed things are moving, it is seeming increasingly likely that CBS Digital will wrap TNG and move on to other things by the time DS9 becomes any sort of a reality.

I hope this settles a bit of the (very natural) speculation.__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ben. I may have been overly optimistic, but I'm not surprised. The guys at Trekcore have been much better with this kind of news then Trekmovie has been. Not that Trekmovie even talked about a DS9 release. I know it's a big endeavor to do the DS9 project to the level of TNG and TOS. I now hope that resources and budgets will be directed towards the ultimate Star Trek The Motion Picture release with all versions and the DC.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Trekcore post shows that we've been pretty clear in what we've been discussing.

The CBS tweet was poorly worded. The idea was to show you the space station in HD, not the series of DS9.

The source in this situation is being as clear as they can. Based on what I've seen from Trekcore in the past, they're talking to someone involved in the TNG/Enterprise Blu-ray project who would be involved in any future endeavors. The source is saying that no green light has been given for any work to be done on the DS9 series. Given that they're a good way through their last season of TNG at this point, the discussion has to do with what their next project will be. From what the source is saying, it will be something different. Also, based on what's been happening lately with so many VFX facilities, they may actually focus on moving their operations from Los Angeles to another state or country where they can take advantage of a tax incentive they can't get in the local area.

I would be very happy to see a DS9 Blu-ray set come to pass. But either way, I'm happy that they took the time to assemble the complete DVD sets that they did, both of DS9 and Voyager. And at least they gave us Blu-rays of the other Trek series. I never believed we'd see TNG on Blu, much less Enterprise. In my opinion, we're way ahead of the curve.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Heck, having the ability to watch ANY Star Trek episode anytime I want is amazing, whether it be on VHS, laser disc, DVD or Blu-ray. I grew up only being able to see it when it aired, so I feel I've been ahead of the curve ever since I could hit RECORD on my VCR.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'll be interested to see Gord and Dave's follow-up. If this post is correct, CBS' tweet is the worst tease of fans since Warner put Batman '66 on WHV style package for last year's ComicCon art, six months before it was announced those DVDs were coming. The original tweeter should clarify, and if necessary, apologize.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
From my understanding, CBS can shuffle the schedule around quite a bit year to year. Something can initially be "greenlighted" for release a particular year and then removed at a moments notice (e.g., Bonanza S8), while other times a release will come out of the blue (e.g., last BH and PJ releases). If something is "greenlighted" then it's on the radar, if not, then it isn't, I think it is pretty much like and on/off switch and doesn't have anything to do with what can happen with the future status.

My feeling is that it wil get remastered in HD, as TNG, it is just a matter of time. TNG HD didn't come out right after TOS HD. While Enterprise did, it was already in an HD format. I can easily see them taking a break after all the work being put into TNG the last few years, and DS9 is even a bigger effort. Maybe they just need to recoup the costs a bit before undertaking another such major effort, but i don't think they will leave DS9 out from a future syndication perspective.

While I wish it was on the immediate horizon, I'm betting in a couple of years after TNG is completely released on Blu-ray we will hear rumors of DS9 again. I have no DS9 at the moment, so now I just have to gauge whether I want to invest in the R2 DS9 release to have for a few years, just in case. Especially, since it only goes for around $120 US shipped for the complete series.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As I've always maintained, I don't doubt we're going to get DS9 and VOY on BD. Remastered with all the bells and whistles. I think this release strategy of getting TNG and ENT out at roughly the same time ended up hindering efforts a little bit.

Yes, I understand ENT was most likely designed to help provide more time to finish TNG. I get that. But we got so used to a new Trek BD release every quarter Q1 2015 is going to feel barren, if nothing comes out. Had CBS stuck to one series at a time and TNG's two season a year release, season 7 would have debuted in 2015 which then led into ENT...that could be released quarterly and give the team time to figure out the next project.

That's just my opinion and, to reiterate, I'm very happy to have as much Trek on BD as we have right now. Even Enterprise, which is my least favorite series, but I'm finding new things to like about it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here's a thought that "Bolty" at blu-ray.com had: What if they distilled DS9 into a best of set? He was actually imagining two of those, and is selecting c. 30 episodes for each of these imagined sets. But that might be a bridge too far as well.

I wonder if there's a way to distill down the best of DS9 into a coherent c. 32 episode "miniseries-like" narrative? If it costs c. $5 million to remaster a season of trek, we can see how spending $35 million for the whole seven seasons might be too much for a home video project. But if the cost were c. 1/7th of that just to do the very best of Deep Space Nine, perhaps it would be more financially doable.

I realize, it's highly unlikely, but....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks