Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Chuck Anstey said:
Of course it did well. It was a remake of one of the most popular TOS movies and most people who saw ST:ID were new fans and hadn't seen ST:TWOK or if they did, it was just some old movie with actors they have never heard of and doesn't have the same meaning to them as it was to those who saw it when it came out. That's like being surprised an updated remake of an old very popular movie starring the latest popular actors and actresses did well among a new generation even if the remake is weaker than the original. If they remade ST:IV, it would also do well. The Doomsday Machine would probably break a few BO records for a Star Trek movie.
Sorry, but I don't see ST:ID as a "remake" of TWoK. Sure, there's a character named "Khan" and his frozen posse who are the superhuman product of genetic engineering. Sure, the sacrificial ending is similar but twisted. Other than those themes and a few homages and callbacks sprinkled throughout they are two very different stories. Hate it if you like, but I fail to see how it can be classified as a remake.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Chuck Anstey said:
Of course it did well. It was a remake of one of the most popular TOS movies and most people who saw ST:ID were new fans and hadn't seen ST:TWOK or if they did, it was just some old movie with actors they have never heard of and doesn't have the same meaning to them as it was to those who saw it when it came out. That's like being surprised an updated remake of an old very popular movie starring the latest popular actors and actresses did well among a new generation even if the remake is weaker than the original. If they remade ST:IV, it would also do well. The Doomsday Machine would probably break a few BO records for a Star Trek movie. I couldn't help but notice that you posted "Been there, done that" in the Star Wars VII thread on rumors of revisiting Hoth. Seems inconsistent with your staunch defense of ST:ID.
I'm not "defending" STID as imo, there is nothing to defend. And it's not remake of STTTWOK although it has a few similarities. As for the been there done that issue, I would say the same thing about future Star Trek films if the same absurd rumors and unoriginal ideas start popping up. I want originality in these films, and we can all debate how "original" STID was. Plus, the new Star Wars films are coming after more than a 30 year absence. I would hope after all these years it will be better than all the ridiculous rumors that are posted in that thread. And I'm inconsistent all the time. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I meant the amount of originality, not that it was completely original. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
As for the been there done that issue, I would say the same thing about future Star Trek films if the same absurd rumors and unoriginal ideas start popping up. I want originality in these films, and we can all debate how "original" STID was.
I would say that the difference between the new Star Trek movies and the new Star Wars movies is that the new Trek movies are designed to be a different take on similar situations/characters in a different timeline and Star Wars is a continuation of the previous movies.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
I would say that the difference between the new Star Trek movies and the new Star Wars movies is that the new Trek movies are designed to be a different take on similar situations/characters in a different timeline
I enjoy the new Trek films but i would have liked to have seen then go on the 5 year mission a lot sooner and i feel this version of Kirk doesn't have the command brains that Shatner's Kirk had, it's the writing of course but he doesn't seem like a leader to me, at least yet.

I wouldn't mind the original crew coming up against the Borg in the 5 year mission but they may recycle one of the original series episodes and change it about, maybe they will surprise everyone and write a completely new story never told before.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Foxy, That's interesting you say that about Kirk. Every time I hear Pine/Kirk say 'Kirk to Enterprise', I don't hear a mature leader. I hear a kid. I hear the same thing in STID.I'm not posting to continue to knock the new films. They are what they are, a young sexy Star Warsy Star Trek. I'll check out the third film and hope that Bond finally becomes James Bond.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
FoxyMulder said:
It would be new for the original crew.
I can't say I would be too enthused about the Borg showing up early in Kirk and crew's timeline, but the chance to see Borg ships battling the Enterprise on the big screen with the kind of budgets the reboots have been seeing would almost make it worthwhile!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I dunno. It's sorta like bringing back the Deathstar in the new Star Wars movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only thing I really want for this movie - or maybe not the only thing, but it's high on the list - is for not one single scene to take place on Earth. In Star Trek '09 and Into Darkness, we spent more time on 23rd century earth than we did in the entire original series and original cast films combined. (Or at least it seemed that way.) I really want to see the Enterprise out in space doing space things. I'm glad for the time we got on earth in the '09 movie, but especially with Into Darkness having been so earthbound, I think it's time to move on. Let's have some actual star trekking in the next Star Trek!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Nelson Au said:
Foxy, That's interesting you say that about Kirk. Every time I hear Pine/Kirk say 'Kirk to Enterprise', I don't hear a mature leader. I hear a kid. I hear the same thing in STID.I'm not posting to continue to knock the new films. They are what they are, a young sexy Star Warsy Star Trek.I'll check out the third film and hope that Bond finally becomes James Bond.
He is a "kid". He's ten years or so younger than when we first meet TOS Kirk. I'd have been quite disappointed if he was already the "in charge, seasoned commander" that he was in TOS--that would be a rehash.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
For the next movie I would like to see plot that is something besides angry alien threatens to destroy humanity with super weapon. And don't destroy the Enterprise again. I understand that for a feature film they want a story more significant than happening upon a new species while charting a star system, but the planet shouldn't be in such constant peril.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
PaulDA said:
He is a "kid". He's ten years or so younger than when we first meet TOS Kirk. I'd have been quite disappointed if he was already the "in charge, seasoned commander" that he was in TOS--that would be a rehash.
And of course that makes sense that a kid would be in command of the flagship of the fleet, a ship where there are only 12 like it, that is supposed to be commanded by a very special person, as it takes a very special person to command a starship...not in this universe. Give the kid a job and have him train on the job.

This timeline of Trek is rather silly to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks