What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (2 Viewers)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm curious what their definition of 'deep space' will be. In TOS, the Enterprise was rarely more than a day or two away from civilized, well explored space. It isn't like TOS was Lewis & Clark or Columbus or Magellan or Dr. Livingstone. I guess the definition will be deep relative to Earth but not necessarily the Federation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
I'm curious what their definition of 'deep space' will be. In TOS, the Enterprise was rarely more than a day or two away from civilized, well explored space. It isn't like TOS was Lewis & Clark or Columbus or Magellan or Dr. Livingstone. I guess the definition will be deep relative to Earth but not necessarily the Federation.
16 out of the first 55 TOS episodes had the Enterprise going "where no man has gone before", including the edge of the galaxy and even another universe. I'd say the chances that this next movie will involve meeting previously unknown aliens are close to nil, given their propensity for rehashing things.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another Star Trek: Insurrection or X-Files: I Want To Believe, where the story would have made an average quality episode of the show, but was in no way suitable for a feature film.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Chuck Anstey said:
RobertR said:
16 out of the first 55 TOS episodes had the Enterprise going "where no man has gone before", including the edge of the galaxy and even another universe. I'd say the chances that this next movie will involve meeting previously unknown aliens are close to nil, given their propensity for rehashing things.
The original idea was the the Enterprise exploring unknown space. Although, true enough, probably more often than not, they weren't really that far out. But, the very first regular production episode (which should have been the first one to air, but wasn't) was on their third day of star mapping unknown space - that's where they run into Balok (Ron Howard's little brother, Clint) and the "First Federation".

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
The original idea was the the Enterprise exploring unknown space. Although, true enough, probably more often than not, they weren't really that far out. But, the very first regular production episode (which should have been the first one to air, but wasn't) was on their third day of star mapping unknown space - that's where they run into Balok (Ron Howard's little brother, Clint) and the "First Federation".
Star Trek "by any other name" the Kelvins, lead by its Alien leader Rojan, who like to use the Enterprise with modifications to its engines to return to the Andromeda galaxy, which will take 300 years. would really take (2.54 million years).

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I wonder how much bigger, blacker, and noisier the enemy ship will be in the third one. Because that, boys and girls, is what Star Trek is all about!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
So what TOS episode are they going to rehash this time?

Well, we got Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock in 2, so I'm going to put money on "Space Whales need to get hijack the Enterprise to reach God at the Center of the Galaxy to keep the klingon moon from blowing up" - you bookmark this thread and you guys can prove me right in 2017. . . .

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I hope not, it's supposed to be a new cast and new adventures and they just keep recycling things, i like the bit below the article where it says Karl Urban wants Star Trek to quit rehashing old shit, i very much agree with him on that particular point.
I'd sooner take a phaser and set it to force 5 than watch any of these 5 year lens flares for another f&cking, 24 frames.
tumblr_m58i18dS1W1qzwhb0o1_250.gif

Who would sooner watch TOS 79 episodes all over again, over these 5 year mission new cast? Send the 5 year mission to Rura Penthe and throw away the key.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
andySu said:
I'd sooner take a phaser and set it to force 5 than watch any of these 5 year lens flares for another f&cking, 24 frames.
tumblr_m58i18dS1W1qzwhb0o1_250.gif

Who would sooner watch TOS 79 episodes all over again, over these 5 year mission new cast? Send the 5 year mission to Rura Penthe and throw away the key.
I'm going to live in the world where I get to enjoy the entire Original Series TV show AND the new movies from JJ and team. It's a happy place and I don't have to think up new snarky comments every time a rumour about the new movies pops up in the internet ;)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm a 40 year old Star Trek fan. While I grew up watching TNG I've seen most of TOS in syndication. I enjoyed the latest two Star Trek movies and never felt like I was watching a rehash. If I can accept and enjoy the remade version of Star Trek that leads me to believe that those who are complaining about it are a vocal minority. Keep in mind that a good percentage of people who paid to see these movies have never even seen an episode of TOS, so it's not a remake for them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And if you go by rotten tomatoes, most major critics rated STID as one of the best reviewed films of the year. Definitely a vocal minority...which is fine..most of the time..strange rambling posts not withstanding. ;)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Tino said:
And if you go by rotten tomatoes, most major critics rated STID as one of the best reviewed films of the year. Definitely a vocal minority...which is fine..most of the time..strange rambling posts not withstanding. ;)
Of course it did well. It was a remake of one of the most popular TOS movies and most people who saw ST:ID were new fans and hadn't seen ST:TWOK or if they did, it was just some old movie with actors they have never heard of and doesn't have the same meaning to them as it was to those who saw it when it came out. That's like being surprised an updated remake of an old very popular movie starring the latest popular actors and actresses did well among a new generation even if the remake is weaker than the original. If they remade ST:IV, it would also do well. The Doomsday Machine would probably break a few BO records for a Star Trek movie.

I couldn't help but notice that you posted "Been there, done that" in the Star Wars VII thread on rumors of revisiting Hoth. Seems inconsistent with your staunch defense of ST:ID.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The only good thing that can be said of the Abrams movies is that they are well produced, mindless fun.

I'm hoping the next one has a modicum of intelligence to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks