What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Simon Pegg's comments do seem honest and sincere, so that can be good. Maybe the movie is still Star Trek-y despite the Paramount executives desire to be less so.

With all the activity going on after the release of the trailer, it made me wonder about how fast they are pushing to get this film out. Obviously it started late due to the political unrest from Roberto Orci's original script being rejected. In looking back, they didn't start filming until June and completed principal photography in October this year. That trailer had one key major CGI sequence appear to be well underway. The Enterprise being attacked. So the post production must have started back in June as well to make the July 2016 due date.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Pegg thinks the trailer sucks too but, forgives the marketing folks because they have to get a bunch of butts into seats... but will that trailer succeed?

My problem is that I haven't found a single person that liked it, including non Trek fans. My wife has had a passing interest in the new Trek movies, because of Pine, but she said that trailer looked horrible. A few co-workers, who like some of F&F movies, said the trailer didn't look that interesting. Most of the online reaction seems to be indifferent as well. So I think the marketing department screwed up big time here, they're not getting the general audience interested and they just pissed off every Trek fan.

Paramount is just lost; they don't understand Trek, they don't understand the audience that loves Trek and it seems like they don't understand general audiences either.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Well I thought that the new trailer looked good, and my brother, who isn't much of a Sci Fi fan sent me a message saying the same thing.

Personally I thought that all of the TNG movies were mediocre at best while the two recast Trek movies were great. I'm looking forward to seeing the new one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The trailer got applause and cheers at my screening of TFA tonight. So obviously not everyone hated it. Seeing it again on the IMAX screen certainly added to it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I also liked the trailer. I don't get all the hate that's being thrown at this movie after only 1 teaser trailer has been released. As is typical, there are those who are disappointed that it doesn't ring "true" to Trek, that it's too "different". Then there are those who see the Enterprise possibly being destroyed, some scenes of Earth in peril and saying that it's "the same old, same old, nothing has changed".

Ugh.

I, for one, am encouraged to see that this movie series appears to be going in a new and different direction. That's what I had hoped would happen with Into Darkness, but sadly it did not. Do I want a Star Trek movie that has no action? Of course not. Do I want a Star Trek movie that's balls-to-the-wall action setpiece after action setpiece? Of course not. I want an interesting story involving characters I care about that entertains me for a couple of hours and that doesn't simply pander to the lowest-common-denominator at the expense of everything else.

ST09 did that for me, ST:ID had me for about 2/3 of the movie. I hope this does better than the last one, but I won't know for sure until I see it for myself.

I guess for me, there is no "formula" that equals a good Star Trek movie, so I don't bother trying to fit every teaser/interview/instagram post into some mystical "equation" that spits out a "this will be good" or "this will be crap" answer.

I'm just glad we'll know the answer in 7 months.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The more I watch the trailer(that Simon Pegg didn't care for :) ) the more I have a really good feeling about this movie. The shot of Bones, and Spock alone makes me want to see it. And I love their new uniforms, very traditional and closer to the original series than we have seen in the first two films.

in the video clip Simon mentions there is a lot more "Star Trek stuff" in it than the trailer alludes to, so I'm thinking story first-action sequences second which is fine with me. Now the long wait to late July.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
From Simon Pegg's comments of more Trek stuff, I wonder if it is a version of A Private Little War because it appears that the baddie might be using technology to enslave the inhabitants. Otherwise the Prime Directive would be off the table since the Enterprise is destroyed so they have high levels of space technology.

I hope for something really interesting like the our heroes free the enslaved people because slavery is wrong but it turns out that due to their belief system, the people won't provide for themselves as it will they believe it will just happen. Then Kirk is stuck in a dilemma where he can leave the people free but they will starve or lead them back to the slavers to save their lives. Truly touch on a system of governance that is something we consider horrible yet it is the only way to survive. For even more ambiguity, have it where food was magically provided through a Val type arrangement in the past but the magical device broke and our villain found these people starving and forced them to work as the only way of saving the culture and our heroes' sense of morality would lead to their extinction. Make the moral conflict about whether freedom is more important than life but not in the usual "Live Free or Die" oppression way and whether freedom can be an evil cultural belief.

They probably stuck to the usual "Our way is best but do we have the right to interfere?", which has been done several times.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Keep the Beastie Boys music to the initial scene when Scottie asks about it and the trailer would improve immensely.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It looks like a Justin Lin movie, for better or worse. Not exactly what fans of Star Trek were probably clamoring for, but at least it's not Back to the Future: Part II-ing a prior film like Into Darkness did.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow. Just saw the trailer. And people were complaining about the Batman v. Superman trailer.

Thankful Neil posted the comments from Lin. Along with Pegg's reaction, I'm still hopeful.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's a discussion going on at Trekmovie about Orci's original screenplay that was deemed too Star Trek-y and not Guardians of the Galaxy enough that was tossed. A poster claims Orci had a part written for William Shatner. Because it's the 50th Anniversary, there's a row about why Shatner isn't even a part of the film.

I can see the outrage. If his participation in the film made sense, that would have been cool. On the other hand, Sean Connery wasn't in Skyfall and that went fine. But of course there's been multiple Bond actors but only one original Kirk and Pine has only done 2 released films and a third to be released.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw a TNG cast reunion event in Oct 2014 and Shatner was the moderator; before they started taking questions, Shatner said he was back for the new movie. I figured when Orci left, that was that, but at least back when he was the guy in charge, it seemed like a done deal.

I'd rather have a good movie than one that bends over backwards to fit him in. If the new Pegg script didn't have a good place for him, so be it. His version of Kirk died, so anything to get him in there would probably be too many writers contortions anyway.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Josh. I honestly didn't know that Orci's original script had intended to include Shatner. I tend to not read too much about the new movies that might spoil the plot and story,

Though I'm ambivalent about the new movies. I just can't get excited anymore after what JJ has done to up turn the franchise.

There was one aspect of the latest trailer that to me suggests the JJ-prise is destroyed again and perhaps we'll get a new ship in line with The Motion Picture design.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Common for a film of this nature. TFA had reshoots too early last year. Nothing to be worried about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks