What's new

Star Spangled Banner - complete and original recordings? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Anyway BACK ON TOPIC....

I posted this thread in MAY OF 2001. That's almost two years ago.

So far I have received NO responses to my request, which is for recommendations for a traditional, sung version of the Star Spangled Banner that includes all four original verses. I do not like pop music. Please do not suggest it.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Whitney Houston sang it at the superbowl some years ago. Even though she sings pop her rendition was traditional IIRC.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
does anyone have any suggestions about a CD containing an original and complete version of The Star Spangled Banner?
Reginald, please don't reply anymore. You have not read my original post, which in pertinent part is quoted above. I don't care what some pop singer sung at some pro sports event in the past. I don't like pop music and I don't like pro sports. I want a CD that I can purchase. If it's not for sale, I don't want to hear about it. If you want to go start your own thread about Jimi Hendricks be my guest, but I won't post in it. Fair enough? I've been trying to get a simple question answered for TWO YEARS with nobody wanting to help.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well Reginald appears to no longer post at HTF, so I will bring this question up another time.

I would really like to find a traditionally sung version with all four verses sung, especially the third verse.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm very sorry, I haven't the foggiest idea. I myself would enjoy having such a recording; but since the beginnings of music recording roughly coincide with the trend toward closer alignment of American with British interests, and the consequent suppression of Verse 3 out of "courtesy", I imagine it would be difficult to find.

That said: I would suggest you contact the gent who operates National Public Radio's "Annoying Music Show". Shortly before the recent General Election he appeared on their programme "All Things Considered" to talk about campaigning songs, in the course of which he trotted out what sounded like a fairly recent recording of a song from the Harrison v. Van Buren campaign. I rather suspect that you could find out from him who the group was who sang that [although it is "pop" music in a sense, it is after all 180 years old], and they [or a similar group who would be turned up by Internet searches on their name] would be the most likely ones to have sung such a rendition.

Basically what I am suggesting is that there is a sect of what are called "historical re-enactors" whose bag is not, say, refighting the Battle of Gettysburg on Saturday afternoons, but performing music as it was performed in past times. If you can find who these people are, you might find what you want.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well it's now SIX YEARS after the original posting, and I still haven't found a traditional sung recording which includes all four verses. I'm beginning to think that nobody has ever recorded our complete national anthem....is that strange or what? :confused:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think I've found it!
Googled this: star spangled banner "four verses" "complete recording"
Gothic's original recording "The Spirit of Freedom" is the best anthology available of patriotic songs and the only complete recording containing all four verses of the Star Spangled Banner.
http://www.gothic-catalog.com/product_p/g-49103.htm
Dennis Nicholls said:
Well it's now SIX YEARS after the original posting, and I still haven't found a traditional sung recording which includes all four verses. I'm beginning to think that nobody has ever recorded our complete national anthem....is that strange or what? :confused:
A recording of the complete national anthem isn't something most people are aching to have. This is for a very niche market.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How cool is this....

I ordered a cheaper new copy of this recording from an Amazon partner...$14.22 shipped. I'll have to post a review when it arrives.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well, I have received my copy of the Washington Men's Camerata recording, Gothic #G49103. And sadly, it does NOT contain a complete recording of the Star Spangled Banner using the original lyrics.

It substitutes the following third verse in liu of the Francis Scot Key third verse:

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,

If a foe from within strikes a blow at her glory,

Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile

The flag of the stars, and the page of her story!

By the millions unchained who their birthright have gained,

We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

During the War Between the States, "The Star-Spangled Banner" was claimed by both the North and the South. At Fort Sumter, where the opening shot of the war was fired, this song was played when the American flag was lowered in token of surrender by the Federal forces. In indignation over this episode, Oliver Wendell Holmes added a fifth stanza to the song which appeared in northern editions of songbooks of the period. It was again played at the raising of the American flag following the reoccupation of Fort Sumter with the conclusion of this war.

todd.kelly

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
It's only the first three verses, and he changes a couple of the words, but try Roger (Jim) McGuinn's version at ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?p=6923.
I'd also like to buy a CD with the entire song. I'm thinking about ordering Tom Callinan's Call to Colors, as his version supposedly has all four verses. However, I'm a little leary, as the only other recording I've found has Chuck Cashmere reciting the words over background music: cdbaby.com/cd/chuckcashmere3.
Please let me know if you find a decent recording.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Since you know the text of what you want, it might be easier to just find somebody with a voice you like to make a custom recording for you. Any competent vocalist can apply the same tune to the other three verses.

For an official recording of something so obscure, I would suggest trying a forum solely devoted to music or Americana. The HTF people are very knowledgeable about many topics, but they are most expert with visual media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks