What's new

Star Spangled Banner - complete and original recordings? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Everyone knows the first verse of the US national anthem. However, a great trivia question appears to be to sing the second, third, and fourth verses. For those who don't remember, here is a corrected copy of the lyrics of the four verses:
O’, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the clouds of the fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O’ say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, now conceals, now discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner – O’ long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
And where is that band that so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
O’, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - In God is our trust
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
My source is an original handwritten manuscript signed by Francis Scott Key. You may view it on http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/flag3.htm .
The original verses have been bowlderized several times. In particular the line "WHEN our cause it is just" in the fourth verse was changed to "FOR our cause it is just" in the 1950's McCarthy era. Needless to say this is a major change in intent.
Leonard Slatkin conducts the Washington DC musical celebrations for the 4th of July, shown on PBS. He ignores the original 3rd and 4th verses, adding in new "Hollywood Politically Correct" verses written by who knows.
Knowing this, does anyone have any suggestions about a CD containing an original and complete version of The Star Spangled Banner? There are so many CD's available at a place like www.amazon.com but they only state if the recording contains A copy of TSSB, not a complete and original version.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, Fluffy Pumpkin, and Naughty Tuxedo

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
It may not be a "complete" recording of all the verses, (a version of which must exist out there somewhere as an historical curiosity, if nothing else), but my favorite recorded performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" is Jimi Hendrix' rendition from "Woodstock". (It is on the DVD.)
Some don't like it because he took certain creative liberties with it. ("Rockets red glare" has never sounded so vivid in any other version of this song that I have heard.) But at the time I first experienced it in a movie theater on a military base in Vietnam in 1971, most everyone in the place (including me) cheered.
Even though some say his version was an act of defiance rather than respect, in a way it was perhaps the most gutsy, in-your-face, this-is-really-the-way-it-is-so-stand-up-and-cheer performance we're ever going to get of this song. And I don't think it is disrespectful at all. It is an artful and imaginative rendition of a frankly hard-to-sing song. (Can you hit all the notes without straining?)
Certainly of far more enduring value than Rosanne's ballpark screech a few years ago, accompanied by supposedly jock-mocking crotch scratching that revealed the extent of her "talent". In fact, given the sports joke -- Q:"What are the last two words of the National Anthem?" A: "Play ball" -- and the lack of audience participation or even acknowldegement of it most of the time -- I wish they'd stop playing it before every game, and save it for special occasions. Like rock concerts. :>)
Burke

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot say definitively, but I think the first verse was the only one ever put to music. Remember - this verse was written as POEM. I don't believe it was put to music until the 1930's.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Curious history to your national anthem (which before I get flamed I must say I like): the verses are about the war with the Brits, and the tune is an old British drinking song.
The Brit national anthem also has extra verses which for some strange reason nobody sings any more - they are all about suppressing the Scottish rebellion in the 18th century.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
God grant that Marshall Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring,
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to Crush,
God save the King.
IIRC James Burke discussed this in his series "Connections". Wade performed a great feat of civil engineering, building a military road between northern England and Scotland. I'll bet Sean Connery omits this verse... :)
Curiously the tune for God Save the King has migrated both east and west. The story is told that when, during World War I on the Western front, English Tommies, on the spur of the moment, sang the anthem, American and German soldiers came out of their trenches and joined in with their own words. Each group recognized in it a hymn of their own: hailing the Kaiser in his "garland of victory" or "America."

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
To complete the story about Wade - in order to build the road, it was necessary to do a survey of the country which led to the first accurate maps. Incredibly, nobody had thought of systmatically mapping a country 'properly' before this time. It caught on and eventually the whole of the British Isles were mapped. The exercise was known as the Ordnance Survey after the prupose for which it was originally done, and hence why the 'official' maps of the UK are still known as Ordnance Survey maps. I realise this is totally off-topic, but what the heck.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well anyway I still would like recommendations of an original and complete performance of the four verses on CD.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, Fluffy Pumpkin, and Naughty Tuxedo

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I wish they'd stop playing it before every game, and save it for special occasions. Like rock concerts.
When I visited the U.K. back in 1965, it was customary for the audience to stand and sing "God Save the Queen" before every cultural event -- including movie showings!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Now that the topic has people's attention, I'll bump this thread again.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen a thread about the "Star-Spangled Banner" before. Most people here probably don't know there's an earlier discussion in "testy," which has clearly piqued your interest.
Dennis, care to comment on Jimi Hendrix's interpretation of the National Anthem? :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
When I visited the U.K. back in 1965, it was customary for the audience to stand and sing "God Save the Queen" before every cultural event -- including movie showings!
James, with respect, it was at the *end* of movie showings (unless you were there for the next showing really early - didn't you think it odd that everyone else left after singing it? ;) ).
I guess the practice stopped about thirty years ago at cinemas. Even before then, there was usually a mad scramble to get out of the theatre before the National Anthem started (this was usually quite a rush - remember that closing credits were far shorter then).

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I'd have to agree Jimi Hendrix's is the definative version with Marvin Gaye's NBA Allstar rendition a close second.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the Star Spangled Banner lyrics can be matched to a different song, the same way you can sing "Gilligan's Island" to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas"?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well Jimi H.'s interpretation is interesting, but recall what I'm looking for is a sung version including all four verses. IIRC Jimi didn't sing it, he merely tortured his electric guitar before setting it on fire. Too "gimicky" for a conservative like myself. Strange how many people consider Jimi to be "influential" on guitar playing. Nobody really embraced the "Jimi school" of guitar playing. Interesting yes, but not influential.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Well Jimi H.'s interpretation is interesting, but recall what I'm looking for is a sung version including all four verses. IIRC Jimi didn't sing it, he merely tortured his electric guitar before setting it on fire. Too "gimicky" for a conservative like myself. Strange how many people consider Jimi to be "influential" on guitar playing. Nobody really embraced the "Jimi school" of guitar playing. Interesting yes, but not influential.

-----------------------

Dennis, with all due respect, you have it all wrong regarding Jimi Hendrix in the preceding quote. First Jimi didn't set his guitar on fire after doing the SSB. Also what you consider "gimicky" is considered brilliant, creative, innovative and a virtuoso performance. Moreover, Jimi Hendrix has arguably influenced more guitarist than any other. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ernie Isley and Eddie Van Halen are three that easily come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks