What's new

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection (Amazon Exclusive) - November 4, 2014 (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I wish they'd make a better DCP of "2001" for theatrical use. The current one looks flat and lifeless to me. Got to see a 70mm print a couple weeks ago and it was breathtaking. Wouldn't mind a new scan at all.
If Stanley was still alive the new release of 2001 would be a 8K scan of the 65mm Neg.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is already a black market for the Kubrick figurines...

stanley action figure.JPG

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
DP 70 said:
If Stanley was still alive the new release of 2001 would be a 8K scan of the 65mm Neg.
I'm not sure I agree with that. While Mr Kubrick was clearly an obsessive perfectionist in many aspects of his life and career, the evidence suggests that he didn't care anything about home video versions of his work. He may also have been the only major cinematic artist who sought to destroy one of his own films (Fear and Desire) and suppress another (A Clockwork Orange).

I think that once a film had outlived its first-run theatrical life he lost all interest in it, apart perhaps from the residuals.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
AdrianTurner said:
I'm not sure I agree with that. While Mr Kubrick was clearly an obsessive perfectionist in many aspects of his life and career, the evidence suggests that he didn't care anything about home video versions of his work. He may also have been the only major cinematic artist who sought to destroy one of his own films (Fear and Desire) and suppress another (A Clockwork Orange).

I think that once a film had outlived its first-run theatrical life he lost all interest in it, apart perhaps from the residuals.
Kubrick was heavily involved with many video versions of his films. He supervised and approved the Criterion DR. STRANGELOVE and several early WB digital transfers, as well. I think some people mistake his dislike for letterboxing his open-matte films on 4:3 home video as "not caring".

Actually, the fact that he switched to shooting open-matte pretty much negates the idea that he "didn't care" about home video.

Vincent

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
The old Kubrick aspect ratio debate, let's go! :) Kubrick wanted "open matte 4:3" on home video in a time when 16:9 tv sets were not very common. Same thing with Storaro with his 2.20:1 obsession. People watched ws films mainly from the 4:3 tv sets so some filmmakers felt that "more height is better" on home video.Case closed! ;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If anyone sees a deal for this set like Amazon just did for The Sopranos BD ($109 !), let us know. I hate to be a sucker for double-dipping on most of these titles, but I do like the idea of all my Kubrick's in one spot like the Hitchcock collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks