What's new

Standard DVD upconvert to 720p, Denon 2910 or Toshiba HD-DVD A2 ? (1 Viewer)

Nancy Parr

Agent
Hi!

My actual DVD player is a Denon 2910 (32 months old) linked to a projector (Sanyo PLV-Z2 with a 720p native resolution) by a DVI cable.

I’m considering to replace the DVD player by a Toshiba HD-DVD model A2 (1080i max). If I do so I guess I’ll have to buy a DVI-HDMI adapter because my projector only has a DVI jack (in).

But I’m wondering, will the Toshiba will be as good as my Denon DVD player to upconvert my standards DVD to 720p?

Thanks!
Nancy

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
do you have a receiver?

my tv set only has DVI.. so I got the onkyo receiver and was able to hook up my satalite, HD player, and oppo dvd player to the receiver using componets, and hdmi and then used an HDMI to DVI for the tv.. its works much better.

Jacob

the toshiba player is worth getting for the upconversion.

Nancy Parr

Agent
Hi!

I guess the case is closed. I bought the Toshiba HD-DVD A2 but my projector (Sanyo PLV-Z2) does not accept it using the DVI-I input.

As I have to use an adapter to link the A2 (HDMI) to the projector (DVI-I) I guess it is not compatible. I guess it would have probably worked with a projector equipped with a DVI-D input. The problem is that the link with the projector drop after few minutes. The picture I perfect and suddenly the link is lost and a bleu screen appears. I changed the DVD player config to switch from 720p to 1080i even to 480p but always the same problem. My only solution if I want to keep the HD-DVD is to link the A2 to my projector using components cables (which works fine). If I do so I'll have to keep the A2 only for HD-DVD because the unit does not upconvert to HD standard DVD using the components output. So my Denon will still be used to upconvert standard DVD.

Thanks for your comments.
Nancy

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you mean you have a HDMI to DVI? you need that for the projector. I have used them for my set.

Jacob

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nancy,

Is the DVI input on the projector said to be HDCP-compliant? That's something that's necessary (it's part of the copy-protection logic).

If it is, you may have a bad cable. During the first 2 months when I had my HD-A1, but no HDMI projector or TV-set yet, it worked 100% on the DVI-input of a high-res DELL monitor, using a HDMI -> DVI cable.

Cees

Nancy Parr

Agent
Hi!

Today I bought a short (1 meter) HDMI-DVI cable in order to test the link between the Toshiba HD-DVD A2 and the projector Sanyo PLV-Z2 and the same problem happened even with a good quality cable. As I have no HDMI video display to test the HD-DVD with HDMI at both ends I guess the best thing I can do is to return the unit saying it is defective (which can really be the case) and get a new one. If this second unit also produce the same problem then I’ll have to conclude that there is an incompatibility between my projector’s DVI-I input and the HDMI output of the HD-DVD. Note that my projector DVI-I input and my HD-DVD HDMI output are both HDCP compliant.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nancy,

Yes, it should work then. The store needs to prove to you it's correct.

Cees

Nancy Parr

Agent
And the problem is...... the projector.

Yes, the Sanyo PLV-Z2 has a compatibility problem with lots of HDMI devices including the Toshiba HD-DVD players.

It seems that even with a firmware upgrade (which I have no idea how to perform) the projector’s problem still remains. It is like if the Z2 is not really HDCP compliant.... According to what I found on different forums.

I sent an email to Sanyo 3 days ago wtihout any return so far.

Note: I've tested my Toshiba HD-DVD on my brother's HDTV with HDMI inputs and it works fine.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Nancy, I'm sorry to hear You're having so much trouble, but, I'm wondering have You tried to use the 1080i setting on the HD-A2 ? I know You posted Your projector was 720p native,still ,I would try it since I was understanding the HD-A2 could upconvert over component using interlace signals. Worth a try.The only thing is some discs won't accept it if it's not HDMI and some may allow it. In My system the only dvds I had that Would not upconvert over component were the "Star Wars" films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks