What's new

Standard Definiton Cable Question (1 Viewer)

Chris_Cham

Auditioning
My cable line runs through many splitters before it gets to my hdtv. I heard that there is an amp you can buy from somewhere like Home Depot that boosts your cable signal so that standard definition doesn't look so terrible on an hdtv. What is it called and if possible could someone send me a link to an example of one? Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
They’re called signal or RF amplifiers, I think. If you can’t find one at the hardware stores, try the Shack. You want one that’s powered. Keep in mind that these things also amplify any noise that’s present in the signal, so it’s best to install them as far downstream as possible – like before or just after the first split. Make sure it's suitable for cable TV use. Also, your cable company may be able to put one in for you - call them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
i used those a few years back. Not impressed.

IMO they did nothing for signal quality, and im pretty sure it WILL NOT MAKE BASIC CABLE look any better.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks