What's new

Stan Winston R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I first learned Stan Winston's name reading Starlog as a kid. One of the last great masters in his field. Very sad that he only made it to 62. But he leaves behind an incredible imaginative legacy.

--Jefferson Morris

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Stan Winston's passing genuinely saddens me. Not only was he a brilliant artist, but also a genuinely decent man. I remember listening to the Aliens commentary tract and learning that the veteran British crew for the film showed the young James Cameron nothing but distain. Cameron remembered however that Stan Winston always gave him respect and treated him as 'the boss', setting an example for the British crew.

I was also impressed how Stan Winston never let the technology pass him by. He was the modern master of stop-motion animation and planned to use that technology in Jurassic Park. But when computer animation arrived and was proven superior, Winston was wise to see the future and become a part of it.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I think you're mistaken him with someone else. Phil Tippett (who did the AT-ATs and ED-209, among other things) is the one you're talking about. He indeed moved into computer animation when stop-motion thanks to Jurassic Park, would become 'extinct'. Stan Winston had a mostly practical approach, i.e. that most things he did were done live on set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
very sad. He did the type of effects work that sometimes made you believe you weren't actually watching a special effect. :frowning:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
No Way! I just watched him in the making of documentary on The Thing.....that is a damn shame! A genius, generous and wonderful talent and seemingly a wonderful human being.

R.I.P. Mr. Winston, you will be remembered for as long as films are watched....a long time indeed.

I wanted to add, everyone has commented on a work of his that introduced them to the man, although I had seen much of his work prior to knowing his name (Gargoyles , The Wiz ) the film that made me look for his name after it was over was Heartbeeps (1981).........yeah, I know..not the best film out there but I remember being very impressed with the makeup and as a result the film has stayed with me to this day because of Stan's work.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
What an unbelievable loss to everyone that knew him because of his work and had the privilege to work with him and know him.

RIP Mr. Winston.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
OMG where the hell was I!?

I'm crushed by this news! :frowning::frowning::frowning: He was my favorite creature creator working, I can't believe this! :frowning:

RIP Stan. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks