What's new

Stan Winston R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Jurassic Park. The Terminator. T2. Aliens. Predator. AI. The Lost World. Iron Man. Avatar. Fuckin' Pumpkinhead.

Who can carry on his legacy?

A giant has gone home, freed from the bonds of pain in this life.

RIP Stan Winston

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
This is horrible news, I will miss seeing his work on the big screen. :frowning:

A true legend.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
When I was a grad student teaching film classes to kids in Ohio, one of my students wanted to do an unpaid internship at a special effects house. He found a friend of a friend through his church to put him up in LA, and wrote all the effects house. The only one interested in having him was Stan Winston Studios. He ended up working on Edward Scissorhands and Predator 2 and had a great time. I always hoped I'd get the chance to thank him in person, but never did.

So thank you Stan, for being one of the good ones.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I once had the honor of meeting Rick Baker but never got the chance to meet my other special effects/makeup hero Stan Winston.

May you Rest in Peace. :frowning:

PS Since it hasnt been mentioned yet; Stan Winston was involved in one of my favorite (and underated) horror films Wrong Turn.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thank You Mr. Winston for the memories, this year is taking some of the biggest losses from Hollywood, true masters of their craft

CoreyII

Second Unit

I met Mr. Winston on three occasions, the last time being about a year ago when he and his wife had checked into the hotel that I work for. I can truly say he was an extremely nice person and a true gentleman.

His work dates back as far as the t.v. mini-series Roots and The Autobiography of Ms. Jane Pittman. 62 years is too young of an age to leave this world.

Rest in peace Stan.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
In 1972, when Stan and I were both 25, I was one of those lucky people watching Gargoyles (1972) on the TV.
Due mostly to his artistry, that program made a lasting impression.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Very nice tribute by a friend. Thanks to Big Jim for sharing his thoughts.

Not much more to add beyond the impact he had on the industry. A pioneer in a very challenging field, and cutting edge even in 2008.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Leave it to Jim Cameron to provide a genuine laugh at the great times he and Stan had enjoyed. Wonderful words.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
One of my earliest memories is having the crap scared out of me by a TV movie called Gargoyles. I didn't find out until much later, probably around the time of Terminator 2, that it was Stan Winston who was largely responsible for my childhood fears.

Thanks for a good scare Mr. Winston, and many great memories at the movies.

Doug

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Very sad news.:frowning:

He was a modern Ray Harryhausen and I thought he had 20 years left before he was going to retire.
Regardless of the movie, if Stan was working on it, it had great stuff by him. I've always held Mr. Winston in extremely high regard for his quality of work.

troy evans

Screenwriter
No Way! This sucks! What is happening this year? I mean, besides Hollywood it seems a great many people in my life as a whole are passing. Stan Winston was nothing short of a genius/wizard of effects. His loss will be and has been felt. Goodbye Stan and Thank You.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for all your of innovations in order to advance special makeup and visual FX for the industry.

Rest in peace, Mr. Winston.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I just read it, and I can't believe it yet. He will always be known for his immense diversity. Not a lot can say they brought Terminators, Predators, dinosaurs, penguins and whatnot (it truly is a long list) to life. Whether it was through make-up, or animatronics, Stan Winston brought characters to life, and he was the first one to say it. And according to the many interviews (and the wonderful letter by Mr. Cameron above) he was very liked, gentle, funny and very much respected in the business as well.
One of the pioneers has been gone, 62 years is way too young.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Stan Winston was nothing short of a genius/wizard of effects"

Yea hearing Stan Winston was working on a project always lead to optimism and made you look foward to what he would conjure up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks