What's new

Stalingrad (2013) Blu-ray available May 13th (no Blu-ray 3D?) (1 Viewer)

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Stalingrad Blu-ray

I wonder if this will be another native 3D release that a major studio neglects to release on Blu-ray 3D in the US.

For those who don't know, Stalingrad (2013), is the first Russian film shot in native 3D, Sony released it in an exclusive limited engagement in IMAX DMR 3D, on February 28th, 2014. I was actually able to see the film at my local AMC theater last week in this engagement.

So far, the only confirmed 3D release is the Russian Blu-ray 3D, which came out in December 2013, and is not English-friendly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, this is a little disturbing to hear given that this is yet another studio holding
back on 3D Blu-ray releases.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Jari K said:
Running time is listed as 131 min on the IMDB.
IMDb is accurate, the film runs 131 minutes, so the listing is either conbining the run times of the 3D and non-3D versions (and losing a minute in the process), or there are 130 minutes of extras.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Just a bit of correction -- "Stalingrad" is not the first Russian film shot in native 3D (as they shot native 3D before I was born). It is the first Russian film shot digitally for Imax in native 3D.

I saw it in Imax 3D on March 2 (2014) at the Regal Palladium theater in High Point, NC, where their projection is usually spot-on, as it was for this presentation. As much as I feel that all 3D movies should be made available in 3D for Blu-ray, I will say that the Imax screen size was far more immersive than the 3D.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Check IMDb for data on the Russian Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Kruzo), made in 1946, Quote: "First Soviet 3-D feature film. The process used, Stereokino, was the first to dispense with anaglyptic spectacles".
It was shown last year in L.A. during the 3D Film Expo. It's a spectacular film. Great depth effects and WOW moments. No subtitles, but who needs them in this story?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Very disappointing but another indicator that the studios aren't seeing enough profit from Blu-ray 3D releases. I was looking forward to this one too. Maybe we can get a european import.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't think the missing 3D here needs batched in with Frozen.

The number of people wanting this movie is paltry compared to, pretty much everything else.

Maybe, just maybe, the studios are getting the hint that lots of the market have figured out to buy region-free players(stretch I know...) and are willing to let specific markets have 3D(I can see Germany being the stalwart here) and just export it...for those that care.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I wanted to see this at the theaters with my son, who's also a World War II buff, but it's gone in this market already. Is it worth picking up? We were disappointed in Monuments Men, but this obviously promises to have more battle stuff, and we both loved Enemy at the Gates.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
It seems that the 3D version is included after all, from the Bits:"Sony has set Stalingrad (2013) for Blu-ray 3D combo release on 5/13 (SRP $35.99 and $30.99). Extras on the Blu-ray will include The Making of Stalingrad and obviously the 3D version."The cover also mentions 3D.

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
staingrad 3d blu.jpg

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
FYI--Both 2D and 3D discs in this release are REGION A LOCKED.

I have sampled this release, and it is a bit strange. For one thing, despite the region-coding, there are optional Russian subtitles for non-Russian dialogue only, but they are not part of the menus, and must be enabled using your remote.

The big problem, though, is his film begins with a Japanese-language voice over, because the frame story for the main narrative is set during the Japanese Tsunami of 2011. In the US IMAX 3D theatrical release, this narration was unaltered and subtitled. On the English and French DUB tracks on the Blu-ray, it is similarly unaltered, however, on the Russian audio track on the Blu-ray, this Japanese narration has also been overdubbed with Russian voice-over (i.e. a female Russian speaker speaking over the Japanese dialogue). This is extremely annoying and jarring, since this Japanese is the first dialogue heard in the film, and again, this was not how the film was presented in theaters in the USA. The German dialogue appears unaffected, and remains in its original language with relevant subtitles, regardless of which audio track is selected, except on the French track, where German is spoken in the 2011 frame story--this dialogue has been dubbed into French on that track.

I have called SPHE and spoken with a representative. What is strange is that they are telling me that this title should not even be out until May 27th. I was told they will look into the matter and get back to me within a week.

The extras have been divided, with one featurette, The Making of Stalingrad (480i, 11:34) appearing on the 2D disc, and the other featurette, Stereoscopic Stalingrad (1080p, 5:34), appearing on the 3D disc (ironically, this featurette is in 2D). Beyond that, there are forced, but skippable previews on both discs for other Sony titles.

The 3D disc refuses to play on 2D systems, so those with only 2D systems will miss out on the Stereoscopic Stalingrad featurette.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks