What's new

Stadium Arcadium (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Oh man...that wound have been a pisser!

Everyone is wetting themselves over at Hoffmans over the vinyl remaster. Steve has made very favorable comments about the sound of the analog masters. I think I will have to double dip on this one....the music is that good.

Brian

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Damn, don't have a turntable. Wonder what the chances are of getting that version on DVD-A or SACD...

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin

I'm holding out on this one too. I would really like to see DVD-A or SACD for the convenience, but I'll definitely be picking up the 180g vinyl release.

-DD

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Maybe it's the 15% hearing loss I suffered from too many concerts in my lifetime, but I can't for the life of me hear the negative things about the sonics being described here..though I've found the discussion about it interesting.

I'm glad I can't hear it though, because this is one damn fine album. I was looking more forward to new albums from Tool and Pearl Jam this month, but this one turns out to be my favorite of the three by far. It's solid thru and thru, a great mix of style and the guitar work is outstanding.

It's totally cool to see a band get ambitious in todays times when so many people reject complete albums and opt for individual songs. To put out a double disc set, and to make it so strong that nearly every song is solid is a real credit to the band IMO.

BarryS

Second Unit
I'm a sort-of old-school Chili Peppers fan (meaning I got into them when Give It Away and Under The Bridge were hits) and I love the early stuff like Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk and the almighty Blood Sugar Sex Magik. So the more recent Peppers stuff has been kind of disappointing because I always want them to rock out. At first I was disappointed with Californication, then I later grew to love it. I never bought By The Way (though I intend to eventually). I've only listened to Stadium Arcadium all the way through once so far so I'm not really sure what I think yet. It sounds great, but only repeated listens will tell how the songs resonate with me. As expected, it's a bit too mellow for my tastes but still very high quality stuff all around. I wish there were more songs like Readymade and Storm in a Teacup. However, the interplay of Frusciante and Flea alone make the album worth the effort.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I have an incredible love/ hate relationship with the Chili Peppers -- the harder they rock, the more I like 'em, but I really can't stand their mellower stuff (Under The Bridge makes me want to vomit).

Think I'll give this one a listen before buying. The song I've seen on TV and heard on the radio 75 times (Dani California) is just OK (although the video is a hoot).

BarryS

Second Unit

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the One Hot Minute album?

Personally, I love it and think it's very underrated. I think it's one of the band's hardest rocking albums and Dave Navarro did a fine job with guitar duties I thought, although you just can't replace Frusciante.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Wow! Someone else that likes One Hot Minute. It's my third favorite, behind BSSM and Mother's Milk. I've heard that the RHCP don't play any of the songs off OHM live these days. Is this true?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
John Frusciante has supposedly never even listened to "One Hot Minute" and he's also supposedly very insecure about the album in general. I don't think he has anything to be worried about (the difference in quality between the Frusciante albums and the others speaks for itself) but I totally understand how it could give him the unconfortable "I hate the guy my girlfriend dated before we got back together" vibe.

Anyways, I'm no fan of Navarro and/or "One Hot Minute" and I'd rank it towards the bottom of the Chili Peppers discography with only the self-titled debut beneath it. I just don't think Navarro (or Jack Sherman, who played on the debut) had any chemistry with the band whatsoever.

I'm a huge Frusciante fan so I'm undeniably partial to the work of the Chili Peppers that features him but I also enjoy the two Hillel albums so I obviously have no bias against Navarro and Sherman, I just don't think they worked within the band.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The only song I know from it is Aeroplane, but judging from a quick scan of the song clips on Amazon, I should probably pick it up. :)

BarryS

Second Unit

I would recommend it. Provided you're not completely opposed to the idea of another guitarist besides John Frusciante playing with the band. Dave Navarro is a great guitarist and I think he did a great job. There are really some great underrated songs on One Hot Minute, such as Walkabout, Warped, Coffee Shop, Shallow Be Thy Game, One Big Mob and of course the MTV hits Aeroplane and My Friends. I'm not sure why the album has such a bad reputation. It's a really solid, hard-rocking record.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"Sorry, I have to do this but it's "One Hot Minute" and "Can't Stop"."

Oops, my bad...sorry! :frowning:

"And the sonics are nowhere near as bad as some would think given the clipped/compressed waveforms some have posted."

"Maybe it's the 15% hearing loss I suffered from too many concerts in my lifetime, but I can't for the life of me hear the negative things about the sonics being described here."

You know, I really can't either. I listened to it last night and while it's not the best sounding recording I've ever heard, it's nowhere close to being the worst. I was easily able to discern small sonic details in the background. Yes, it's a tad "vanilla," but the music is so good, it pulls you in. When I think bad sonics, the sterile sound of CDs long past comes to mind. To me, this set doesn't sound all that bad.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yep, I think of early CD releases when I think of bad sonics as well...I gotta say again that I totally dig this album. I agree with some here who say it could be more funky, but RHCP has become extremely good at crafting fine songs.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff, this, and a boatload to absorb. I've got a few other Peppers discs, but I don't feel the need to pop them in very often. I can see this album getting heavy rotation in my rig for a long time. Funky, funny, technically impeccable playing, and sound quality that doesn't intrude on the music-making. One of the best albums of the year thus far.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Steve Hoffman over at www.stevehoffman.tv has said he is working on the VINYL of this album, and that the source master of the vinyl sounds AMAZING.

I can't WAIT 'til it comes out!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't like the album so much on the first few run throughs; nothing really stood out in my mind and between the two discs, I felt it was a little too even handed - no swings in emotion. I've found that I prefer the first disc to the second so far; possibly my favorite track at the moment being Slow Cheetah. Not bad and I've been letting the album spin quite a bit because I found I had to get used to this album rather than liking many of the songs right off the bat like Californication and By The Way.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If I do have a fault with S.A. it is exactly this.

I love the dynamic swings of Blood Sugar Sex Magik. That album, to my mind, if the Peppers at their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks