1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

ST: DS9 question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by KyleC, Feb 4, 2004.

1. KyleC

KyleC Well-Known Member

I've been watching the seasons of DS9 for the past year or so. I'm only on season 4 right now but I have a problem. In the darker scenes, I notice "ghosting." Like someone's face against a darker background if they move you notice it like for a split second. If you look at someone's eyes when they move you can see their eyes stay for a second where they were before they move. It's nothing terribly too noticeable but afficiandos like us would. I was just wondering if one of the settings on my DVD player could help or eliminate that. I have a Sony NS400D.

update: I watched the finale for season 4 last night and it was really grainy in spots.

2. Wezzo

Wezzo Well-Known Member

Well, I actually have the same problem regarding that - it may just be a bad transfer..?

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Well-Known Member

Sam Favate
    I didn't notice any such problems.

Could it be your TV?

4. KyleC

KyleC Well-Known Member

Could be. I only have a 27" CRT, and my DVD-player is non-progressive.

5. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

The DS9 sets, unfortunately, like the TNG sets, could have seen better transfers.

Later seasons seem a bit better overall, but darker scenes, especially in earlier seasons, suffer from occasional pixelation and some drifting pixels.

I give the series high marks for production value, and the sets good marks for content - but most people have been somewhat disappointed in the picture quality. It looks better than I saw on the original broadcast, but our expectations for DVD are higher than that.

TV product on DVD varies wildly in quality. These are somewhere in the middle of the pack.

-Scott

6. KyleC

KyleC Well-Known Member

So will these look better on an HDTV with progressive? My big problem with the Trek sets so far is the audio, particularly the bass. Space battles are lackluster at best, and while I haven't gotten to seasons 6 and 7 of DS9 my expectations are low. Explosions are very low and almost non-existent. That's another reason why I can't wait for a First Contact SE.

7. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

Remember, this is 90's TV product...

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Your problem isn't with the Trek sets; it's with the original Trek audio. None of the TV shows has ever sounded like a big-budget theatrical release, and they never will.

M.

9. ThibaultLonguet

Well I thought the transfer on DS9 DVDs was pretty good.

Thibault.