What's new

Square Pegs (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

That's a good one. Unfortunately, he'll probably make Senior VP someday.

Actually, there is a filter for Final Cut Pro called InstantHD that works with 480p video conversions to 720p and 1080p. It works well, but it isn't "true HD" and it never will be. It doesn't work so well for interlaced material. Let's face it, old videotape is never going to look all that great on an HD monitor, even with upconversion. You can go back to the earliest generation possible, but it will never look better than that. It's a limitation of the technology, but thanks to Norman Lear's influence and his deliberate need to make All in the Family look as unpleasant as possible, many 1970s sitcoms and most of the 1980s sitcoms are locked into 480i resolution forever.

No one watches these shows for their production values anyway. You want good production values, watch Dynasty. I'm surprised Embassy even approved the budget for film on this show and not any others (except the short-lived Palmerstown USA and some TV movies). And then there's the whole longevity and compatibility thing. While the negatives to this show and other filmed series could be transferred on any modern telecine, the number of existing machines which can play back the 2" tapes for All in the Family and its ilk is dwindling and will eventually reach zero.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I picked up the set yesterday and I love it! Excellent set!

Was hoping to see some new "coming soon" spots on the tv-on-dvd brochure but it was the same old stuff.

The special features were great too. Some cool insight provided.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"The guy" mentioned Newhart because "the guy" didn't KNOW that Pegs was shot on film until he watched it. "The guy" expected it to be on video and he used Newhart as a reference to the kind of visuals he THOUGHT he'd get.

"The guy" was simply trying to point out that DVD Talk's mediocre rating for PQ is nuts because Pegs looks great, ESPECIALLY for a 25-year-old TV show...

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

If it's shot on 35mm and they didn't store the transfer elements in a dumpster, it should always look better than a series shot on video from the early 80s. Your comment was confusing since it didn't mention that Square Pegs was shot on film. I was thinking it was video like Bosom Buddies.

moogaboo

Agent
Real Name
John H.
It's a minor moment and by no means does it detract from the overall quality of the Square Pegs set, but can anyone confirm or deny whether some music has been replaced in the Child's Christmas in Weemawee episode, the scene where Patty and her father are talking in the car? It sounds... a bit off.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just have to add, I've watched the first four episodes on the DVD and at least I think the transfer is excellent. It looks better than it did when it first aired.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Nice to know at least there's one 80's classic on DVD I don't have to worry about getting abandoned :lol:

No matter what you think about Sex And The City (I personally love the show and the movie), you have to be thankful that it gave SJP the clout that Sony took a chance and released this on DVD with extras and everything, since they figured she was a big enough name to actually consider releasing this in an era when Sony won't release anything from the 70's and 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks